Mobil 1 0w-40

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I see M1 0w-40 mentioned here as a good choice for many engines and situations. However, I see that there are two M1 0w-40 oils: ESP and European Car Formula. Unless specified, how is an ignorant newbie to know which oil is being referenced?

M1 european 0w40 is readily available and at least now it's 22.xx at Walmart, ESP 0w40 is more expensive and "usually" not stocked at regular basis there.

usually praise is directed towards M1 0W40 European Formula. ESP is a different and focuses on prolonging the life of emissions equipment in modern vehicles (i.e gm dexos 2 spec).

M1 and Castrol 0W40 Euro are 15k+ interval multi year capable oils available at a significantly lower price than any other extended or annual protection formulated oil.

Last edited:
M1 and Castrol 0W40 Euro are 15k+ interval multi year capable oils available at a significantly lower price than any other extended or annual protection formulated oil.

I ran Castrol 0w-40 out to 15K in my Yaris; I literally didn't sweat it, it being formulated for challenging intervals. Best $10 I ever spent @ AZ.

usually praise is directed towards M1 0W40 European Formula. ESP is a different and focuses on prolonging the life of emissions equipment in modern vehicles (i.e gm dexos 2 spec).

Probably why it was popular with Mercedes when they had 13k oil change intervals. Now they lowered it down to 10k oil change intervals. I've seen several UOAs on here that show it's good well past that.

I'm interested in M1 0W-40. For a vehicle that specifies 5W-30, any reason to prefer M1 0W-40 over a Dexos1G2 5W-30 oil?

I'm interested in M1 0W-40. For a vehicle that specifies 5W-30, any reason to prefer M1 0W-40 over a Dexos1G2 5W-30 oil?
it has advanced technology and actually cleans your motor. it’s extremely shear resistant and starts out as a light 40 and can maintain a 30 grade, even in extended drain intervals + moderate fuel dilution.

on the other side it may promote LSPI more than the average dexos1gen2/dexos 2 oil. the lifespan of the catalytic converter and other emissions components may also be reduced. M1 0W40 ESP overcomes this but sacrifices the exceptional drain intervals and comes with an extreme price hike, which makes it a dud.

Last edited:
it has advanced technology and actually cleans your motor. it’s extremely shear resistant and starts out as a light 40 and can maintain a 30 grade, even in extended drain intervals + moderate fuel dilution.

on the other side it may promote LSPI more than the average dexos1gen2/dexos 2 oil. the lifespan of the catalytic converter and other emissions components may also be reduced. M1 0W40 ESP overcomes this but sacrifices the exceptional drain intervals and comes with an extreme price hike, which makes it a dud.
Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive response. Sounds like for typical conditions and typical OCI, Dexos1G2 is sufficient, although the "motor cleaning" of M1 0W-40 sounds appealing. I understood correctly, then, that Dexos1G2 is "mid SAPS?"

Back