Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic (european formula)... what's the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Mobil 1 0W-40 european formula this weekend... previously I had only seen 5W-30, 10W-30, 15W-40. Now if the W number is how it flows when cold, and the second number is hot it flows when hot... or is that an over-simlification?

Would 0W-40 be better than 5W-30 in the cold and just as good as 15W-40 in the summer?

What's the lowdown on this?

It is good all year. I would use it more for winter though, it shears down a lil. Currently in mom's V6 Audi, it burns off fast. 15w-40 will be more stable, but is a different beast. The 0w-40 is made to meet the various mfg specs on the bottle, long-life and good for turbos too. The Mobil 1 5w-30 is different, less of any, esters I believe and it is pretty light. It's made for Japanese cars, imo.

I suppose the Mobil 1 0W-40 is kind of like their 5W-40 SUV&Truck except that its more for european cars like VW,Audi, and etc. Since meets the european manufacters requirements which is mostly they recommend a 5W-40 grade and long drains. Plus the 0W-40 is energy conserving which is odd for a 40 grade. I guess the 0W-40 has a larger range for both cold and hot temperatures, so okay for year round.

Well... I guess I'm stick with my 10W-30 for now ('04 WRX)... but I'm definately going back to 5W-30 in September or October.

Motorbike has me thinking about this oil again. It's actually not as bad as many think and in fact is very good. On a % basis, it's VERY shear stable considering it's a 40pt spread. Imagine the 5w-50 in the new MB McClaren?
shocked.gif
I said this in another thread but the flash point is higher and on a % basis, it doesn't budge all that much. It stays between 11.5cSt to 15cSt on average. That is excellent for a 0w-40. It's a good choice the more i think about it.

There is several analysis's here but one that stands out was a somewhat low mile of 5k or so but it was 12 months and TBN was still great !

There is only one person here that does not like this oil and yes , it might thin a bit at around 4-6k miles but then it comes on back up and truely stays ingrade throughout the interval unlike a competitor oil that in two analysis thickened over 2 cSt's and one was @ 5k miles .

Now why would you not want one that thickened out of grade ? Myself I think about the needless extra fuel consumption and say the interval goes into early winter I don't want thickened up oil in my engine messing with the cold starts .

I've long thought this was the best Supersyn made since most cars cannot really use the 50wt SS . This 0w-40 can be used in many smaller OHC engines and I think it will prove out a better all around choice than the rebottled Delvac 1 called SUV sumthin
smile.gif
and analysis should confirm my beliefs shortly when some start coming through . That Delvac 1 was thinning albeit slightly in gasser engines .

I've also posted with all the specs it meets if it just had Pennzane it could be used in space
tongue.gif

Same 0w-40 oil here in the USA advertised as a gas motor oil for Turbo Porsches ect is marketed as a Turbo Diesel oil in the UK ... take a look .

Mobil 0w-40

And it's less than 5 bucks a quart too
wink.gif

Motorbike, it's going in my Navara turbodiesel in the next weekend or so.

Nissan mandated oil changes are 6000 miles, and warranty won't let me use D1.

quote:

Originally posted by Asinine:
I saw Mobil 1 0W-40 european formula this weekend... previously I had only seen 5W-30, 10W-30, 15W-40. Now if the W number is how it flows when cold, and the second number is hot it flows when hot... or is that an over-simlification?

Would 0W-40 be better than 5W-30 in the cold and just as good as 15W-40 in the summer?

Thats basically not an oversimplification, although Pour Point and Flash Point indicates how it will do beyond the test points. But, yes, you can use 0w-40 all year around in just about anything that is out there. I've got a topic under "Best ...." for more.

quote:

Originally posted by Rand:
Why not D1 is rated SL too ?

Long long story on the diesel engine oils board about Nissan's requirements for oils in their turbodiesels. Not allowed to use any oil rated better than CF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back