MMO vs TCW3 as a fuel additive

This is why the experiment continues as I mentioned. The noise is there without the experiment. With me the vehicle is pretty consistent with the tracking of the mileage as it gets pretty significant use. I follow mileage with every fill up and have since day one so I have a pretty decent record. The trend was a fairly consistent 17.19 before the experiment. I could move that number a little bit one direction or another by changing brand of gas most times. We will see what conclusion comes of this but it will take time.

At $2 for 16 ounces of Supertech TCW3 if this proves to be a reasonable UCL it will be used in all vehicles.

For what it is worth I use 2oz of 2 stroke oil and 2oz of MMO to 10 gallons of fuel..........either gas or diesel in my cars, trucks, tractor, outboard motors, lawn mowers, etc.....
Lubricates fuel pumps, top ends, injectors.

As has been pointed out here in the past, injectors do not need nor benefit from lubrication beyond the fuel.

And what is it in the "top ends" that isn't being lubricated properly by the oil?

Honda 500 10yrs. on 640:1 TCW-3/91 E0
P1030043.JPG

I use 640:1 in all my 4strokes for decades now.

any soot you see there was probably caused by the bad cam that was being replaced at that time 4 yrs. ago...impressive.

For what it is worth I use 2oz of 2 stroke oil and 2oz of MMO to 10 gallons of fuel..........either gas or diesel in my cars, trucks, tractor, outboard motors, lawn mowers, etc.....
Lubricates fuel pumps, top ends, injectors.
All the rubber fuel hoses in my cars that run e10 only through the summer, crack and split every 6 years. So based on my experience with the fuel eating my fuel system, I'd say any rubber parts in the fuel system (like my mechanical fuel pump diaphragm, carb parts, fuel injectors maybe) anything like that probably could benefit from a bit of lubricant. I don't notice any immediate benefit from running TCW3 in any of my vehicles, but trying to prevent the reoccurrence of all the new rubber parts cracking and falling apart is why I started using it as often as I can remember to.
As has been pointed out here in the past, injectors do not need nor benefit from lubrication beyond the fuel.

And what is it in the "top ends" that isn't being lubricated properly by the oil?

All the rubber fuel hoses in my cars that run e10 only through the summer, crack and split every 6 years. So based on my experience with the fuel eating my fuel system, I'd say any rubber parts in the fuel system (like my mechanical fuel pump diaphragm, carb parts, fuel injectors maybe) anything like that probably could benefit from a bit of lubricant. I don't notice any immediate benefit from running TCW3 in any of my vehicles, but trying to prevent the reoccurrence of all the new rubber parts cracking and falling apart is why I started using it as often as I can remember to.
Such a difference between your experience and mine. I live in an EPA nonattainment area, and as such we have only been able to purchase RFG for a very long time. I have a bunch of old cars as you can see in my signature and they have only seen E10 for their whole lives. I've never used a "UCL" of any sort and my fuel system hoses and lines have never cracked nor split nor have the fuel injectors worn out. I have replaced the fuel pump on the BMW but never on the Asian cars (I attributed that to Denso building a better pump than Bosch).

So odd.

Such a difference between your experience and mine. I live in an EPA nonattainment area, and as such we have only been able to purchase RFG for a very long time. I have a bunch of old cars as you can see in my signature and they have only seen E10 for their whole lives. I've never used a "UCL" of any sort and my fuel system hoses and lines have never cracked nor split nor have the fuel injectors worn out. I have replaced the fuel pump on the BMW but never on the Asian cars (I attributed that to Denso building a better pump than Bosch).

So odd.
I haven't had a mechanical fuel pump fail on me, but I was replacing every 10 years, now I want to replace them every 5-6 based on what I saw with the rubber fuel hose. My friend had the same thing on a couple of his old vehicles. My Caprice is all factory fuel line so no rubber to crack. It could be partially a quality issue, but they are fuel injection rated rubber hose I'm using. I also notice hoses at gas stations cracking. Enough evidence for me. Unfortunately I can't afford to run e0 in the car when I'm driving it regularly, so I just repair the damage as required over the years. But there is no denying that it does damage.

I haven't had a mechanical fuel pump fail on me, but I was replacing every 10 years, now I want to replace them every 5-6 based on what I saw with the rubber fuel hose. My friend had the same thing on a couple of his old vehicles. My Caprice is all factory fuel line so no rubber to crack. It could be partially a quality issue, but they are fuel injection rated rubber hose I'm using. I also notice hoses at gas stations cracking. Enough evidence for me. Unfortunately I can't afford to run e0 in the car when I'm driving it regularly, so I just repair the damage as required over the years. But there is no denying that it does damage.
You really must have some inferior materials on those cars, I do t know how else to explain it. Mind you I’m not a proponent of EtOH in gasoline, mainly due to the reduced energy density and the dubious environmental benefits. But no I’ve never seen anything like the issues you’re claiming to experience.

You really must have some inferior materials on those cars, I do t know how else to explain it. Mind you I’m not a proponent of EtOH in gasoline, mainly due to the reduced energy density and the dubious environmental benefits. But no I’ve never seen anything like the issues you’re claiming to experience.
The "inferior materials" are the only rubber fuel injection hose that the independent garage I used to work at stocks. Made by "Atlas" if I remember right. The carburetors that both built up white plaque inside were both factory 1980s carbs. Not sure how inferior materials cause buildup, but I'm not the only one having issues with Ethanol. If you and some others have a horseshoe up your rear, then lucky you.

The "inferior materials" are the only rubber fuel injection hose that the independent garage I used to work at stocks. Made by "Atlas" if I remember right. The carburetors that both built up white plaque inside were both factory 1980s carbs. Not sure how inferior materials cause buildup, but I'm not the only one having issues with Ethanol. If you and some others have a horseshoe up your rear, then lucky you.
I'm not sure what a horseshoe has to do with this to be honest. Not really sure where that attitude is coming from, but I do know I've seen it before.

I was only relating my experience with E10 over many miles with the old vehicles in my signature. This also includes my 28 year old lawnmower, my 20 year old garden tractor, and my similarly old string trimmer. Just sharing what I've seen as you are doing. No need for misplaced horseshoes.

Last edited:
The tests for lubricity in diesel fuel with various additives show MMO makes it worse than plain diesel fuel and TC3W makes it better. This is especially important for diesel engines that have mechanical fuel injector pumps.

So far so good with the runs of TCW3. Definite improvement over not using it. I will still continue to use it only in my 2014 as it gets significant use and abuse.

Back when I had my diesel I ran Stanadyne Diesel Treatment as it reduced soot and lubricated fuel components.

I used tcw3 some 5 years ago in a 98 corolla.neglected by previous owner. I gained 20 too 24 miles ,but not every tankful.

So far its been consistent with the MPG difference using the TCW3. Last fill was 17.59 MPG as opposed to 17.19 before using it. I get a little smoother throttle response. We will see what happens as I still have half the 16 ounce bottle left.

So far its been consistent with the MPG difference using the TCW3. Last fill was 17.59 MPG as opposed to 17.19 before using it. I get a little smoother throttle response. We will see what happens as I still have half the 16 ounce bottle left.
Okay, again, such a tiny difference cannot be attributed to any one variable in everyday driving. It’s deep in the noise. You might be able to measure it but there is absolutely no way to ascribe it to the additive alone.

Gasoline itself varies in energy density by about 4% even when purchased at the same station. That right there blows away your measurement unfortunately.

Back