MMO, the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/538/

"MMO also penetrates metal surfaces to prevent corrosion"
crackmeup2.gif

As you can see by the oil analysis posted by another member, MMO contains a very lightweight oil, which has a low flaspoint and burns off quickly, but is also more "attracted" to metal...thus aiding the cleaning. Process. But hey, dont let the facts cloud your judgement

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Good idea. What size shirt do you wear?

Forget the shirt. Send me stickers. Small ones, preferably.

Just for the heck of it wipe something down with MMO that flash rusts and see if it prevents rust.
smile.gif

Bad idea. It might work, but penetrating rust is a different activity. Marvel did not claim to do this. See below where another forum user set this up as a straw man test for another product.

Our resident anti noticed Mr. Kelly used a poor choice of words, coats would have been a better choice. I've seen some real winners on another message board where three people post and the owner edits their posts constantly. No point in linking there though it might violate board rules. Shill out.

Actually "penetrates" was an adequate choice of words. The person who posted this was, no doubt, thinking about his favorite product Zmax, which has long made the claim "soaks into metal". After the FTC took them to task on this, Zmax demonstrated quite effectively that their product did, in fact, "soak into metal" and the FTC approved this ad claim going forward. I have no doubts that MMO would do the same. The reason is that metal is porous - aluminum is very porous, cast iron less so.

Understand that there is no 'standard' by which to test 'soaks into metal'. The same is probably true of 'penetrates metal'. The world-class lubricant and additives expert hired by Zmax decided to test instead for surface penetration. He commissioned Arch Analytical Services (AAS), a Connecticut Testing Laboratory, to perform a series of test using their Auger Emission Spectroscope (AES) with the results summed up as follows:

Originally Posted By: Affidavit of M.E.LePera
The final report from AAS shows that AES analysis of the Cast Iron specimens revealed an increase in carbon at both the "surface" and "etched" levels of the treated specimens [treated with Zmax or Zmax + motor oil] over the untreated specimens. The report further shows that the treated Aluminum Alloy specimens experienced such a dramatic increase in retained carbon within the specimen itself that analysis at the "etched" level could not be performed. Simply stated, the Aluminum Alloy specimens absorbed so much zMAX that a numerical analysis of the degree of absorption could not be conducted.

Molakule completely lost his cool over this report, claimiing that AAS did not know how to use their own Auger Electron Spectroscope, that the tests were invalid, the electron stream would flash off the volatiles in the mix, and on and on. No matter that Arch Analytical addressed each of these points in their report. One of Molakule's most bizarre claims was that in one part of the test on iron samples, in which Zmax was mixed with oil, AAS was unable to determine the amount of absorption due to oil and the amount due to Zmax. Yet, there was no question that penetration occurred. And, penetration by Zmax alone was substantial and greater than by oil alone.

Molakule also attacked the results by suggesting the Zmax did not diffuse into metal. This was a totally bogus straw man. Zmax never claimed to diffuse into metal. The same applies to MMO ("penetrates metal"). And, Molakule claimed that he had conducted his own home brew test in which he determined that Zmax did not penetrate rust (maybe the test suggested above?). Still another straw man... Zmax never claimed to do this. Judge products on their claims - not on some bogus straw man claims made by detractors.

If MMO claims to penetrate metal, then it probably penetrates metal. And, so does motor oil (straight out of the AAS report). And, so does Zmax ["soaks into metal" - straight out of the AAS report) . Forget the straw men and simply read the Arch Analytical Services report. This is an archived report posted on Benz World - use your own Adobe Reader to open it. Or, the complete affidavit of Maurice E LePera.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/538/

"MMO also penetrates metal surfaces to prevent corrosion"
crackmeup2.gif

As you can see by the oil analysis posted by another member, MMO contains a very lightweight oil, which has a low flaspoint and burns off quickly, but is also more "attracted" to metal...thus aiding the cleaning. Process. But hey, dont let the facts cloud your judgement

"Attracted" to metal is not the same as "penetrating" metal. But hey, don't let the Zmax style claim cloud you judgement.

And as posted by another member "Modern oils have such high detergency I doubt you really need to use this in concert with an engine oil." (Molakule)

As well as " At 4 oz. per 10 gal. and 25 mpg, you are putting the equivalent of burning 1 qt. of oil per 2000 miles in phosphorus through your cat. Will that cause long term problems? I don't know, but the less phosphorus thru the cat the better."(edhackett)

By the way, the admin of the mmo forums is the one who said it. One would think the guy who runs their forum would know?

But how can it do what Zmax can't?

Last edited:
Quote:
Understand that there is no 'standard' by which to test 'soaks into metal'. The same is probably true of 'penetrates metal'.

There are scientific definitions for rust, soak, porosity and diffusion. The last two are not equal as the poster continues to fail to understand.

This is coming from the same guy who couldn't tell us what material piston rings are made of?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
This is coming from the same guy who couldn't tell us what material piston rings are made of?

You might check the record before making such statements. My response 'iron' is easy enough to find. Strange you would say something like this after denying that oil soaked into Oilite bearings or that these bearing were even metal. And, there is no standard test for 'soaking into metal'. Zmax expert made that quite clear, which is why he test instead for surface penetration.

Or, is this part of your broadside attack on the FTC, FAA, Arch Analytical Services, Zmax's expert and... just about anybody who disagrees with you?

Please note that Dave5358 will impune the character of groups or individuals and repeat inaccurate information with anyone with whom he disagrees.

Let the record show I gave Dave5358 a complete scientific and engineering explanation of how oil migrates into porous materials such as Oilite bearings, etc.

It is apparent that Dave5358 does not like to be given scientific or technical explanations and attacks people who do so.

Last edited:
Quote:
Understand that there is no 'standard' by which to test 'soaks into metal'. The same is probably true of 'penetrates metal'.

There are scientific definitions for rust, soak, porosity and diffusion. The last two are not equal as the poster continues to fail to understand.

grin2.gif

grin2.gif

Please note that Dave5358 will impune [sic] the character of groups or individuals and repeat inaccurate information with anyone with whom he disagrees.

Let the record show I gave Dave5358 a complete scientific and engineering explanation of how oil migrates into porous materials such as Oilite bearings, etc.

It is apparent that Dave5358 does not like to be given scientific or technical explanations and attacks people who do so.

The only persons deserving exposure are those who use scientific jargon as a cheap hustle, to attack a specific product. Along the way, you specifically attacked the FAA (non-technical agency that depends on innuendo and pseudo-science - really?), the FTC (incapable of analyzing technical data - but apparently not incapable of hiring experts to do it for them). Mr LePera, a man with rather impressive (and public) credentials, who hires and fires tribologists, was completely wrong in his approach and conclusions, as was Arch Analytical Services, a respected testing laboratory. In short, anyone who disagrees with Molakule's predetermined conclusion is simply wrong. I think I'm in good company.

Anyone can read the results of the outside scientific tests and draw their own conclusions - I posted the links above. I would like to say the same for Molakule's scientific tests on anything or any subject. Perhaps he can fill that void.

There is a Molakule paper published on BITOG in which he proves mathematically, but without a single experiment, that something-or-other couldn't diffuse into iron. Never mind that that Zmax has never claimed to diffuse into anything. It was another Molakule straw man. As Arch Analytical services noted in considerable detail in a report publicly available for review, Molakule was simply wrong.

Originally Posted By: Molakule
There are scientific definitions... soak.

Perhaps you would care to share with use the "scientific definition" of "soaks into metal". Neither Mr. LePera nor Arch Analytical Services could find it, and clearly said so in writing. Please enlighten us.

If you go to SAE International (the Society of Automotive Engineers) and search for "LePera", there are ~50 peer reviewed and published engineering articles authored by this recognized expert - a quite considerable engineering expertise in the field of lubricants and additives.

Don't be hustled by jargon.

Why don't you explain how Zmax/MMO diffuse into metal dave?

Scientific definition of soaking: A phase of a heating operation during which metal or glass is maintained at the requisite temperature until uniformly heated, and/or until any required phase transformation has occurred.

Last edited:
MMO haters are 50% people who wont hear of anything but AutoRx/Zmax/ect

Im not going to bash any of those as i have no experience or thorough knowledge of them

Why don't you explain how Zmax/MMO diffuse into metal dave?

There you go again. Neither Zmax (off topic) nor MMO has ever claimed to diffuse into metal. Did Molakule put you up to this straw man stunt?

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang
MMO haters are 50% people who wont hear of anything but AutoRx/Zmax/ect

Im not going to bash any of those as i have no experience or thorough knowledge of them

If by "hating" you mean those who don't blindly accept claims because some end user said it, or because they don't except what advertisements state, the figure would be higher.

Clubber_Lang I don't care what somebody uses. I do have experience with Auto-RX. I have never used Zmax.

What makes me angry is that people who want to discuss MMO are attacked and people will try to change the subject to some other product, such as Auto-RX. If MMO is being discussed in a post I want to know about MMO, not Zmax or some other product. I really became angry in this post when a guy who is new here started to call people 'fools.' A new guy who does not know about, or at least should not know about, all of the discussions about MMO that have taken place at this website. Unless that new guy has been a long time lurker who finally registered or unless that new guy actually has been here before with another user name, he should not know about all of those discussions. People do not deserve to be called fools and I think that new guy should apologize to members here. But I am sure he probably will not apologize.

I actually am not a big fan of oil supplements. I think most are junk. But I have tried a few that as far as I could determine produced positive results for me-such as some Lubegard products for example. And I have considered using some such as LM Moly that a lot of guys have talked about here in a positive manner.

I don't know how we can find out about products unless people are allowed to discuss them here.

I have a question about this so called metal penetration. Since there are so many different metals, and grades of metals, in layman's terms this is what puzzles me. Take a piece of wrought iron, the kind they use to make railings with. Soak it in oil and thoroughly wipe it down and paint it. Why does the paint fail to properly bond, and require something like Wil-Bond to be repeated applied to it in order for paint to properly adhere? Why does the residual oil need to be chemically removed and not just wiped off? Is it actually getting into the surface imperfections of the metal? If so in laymen's terms it would it be considered to penetrate the surface of the metal? A honed cylinder wall would react in the same way.

Well, under a microscope any metal is not perfectly smooth. The surface is actually rough. So it seems to me that the oil could get into that rough surface.

Maybe it would not penetrate the metal, unless the metal was unusually porous. But it would be hard to remove.

Also, I seem to remember something about very hot steel in steel mills being exposed to oil and the oil modifies the steel in some way.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, under a microscope any metal is not perfectly smooth. The surface is actually rough. So it seems to me that the oil could get into that rough surface.

Maybe it would not penetrate the metal, unless the metal was unusually porous. But it would be hard to remove.

Also, I seem to remember something about very hot steel in steel mills being exposed to oil and the oil modifies the steel in some way.

Well something is going on. It was too late to edit but by oil I was meaning to write any oily substance. Perhaps something thinner would be more difficult to remove? I'm not sure...

Certainly some products protect steel exposed to the elements better than other products. For example, CorrosionX and Breakfree protect very well. Other products do not stay on and the steel rusts.

Certainly some products protect steel exposed to the elements better than other products. For example, CorrosionX and Breakfree protect very well. Other products do not stay on and the steel rusts.

Why don't these products wipe off easily? If they are laying on top of the surface they should wipe right off, shouldn't they? I found they're tough to remove if they're on a porous metal surface that needs to be painted. A simple wipe down doesn't cut it.

Well something is going on. It was too late to edit but by oil I was meaning to write any oily substance. Perhaps something thinner would be more difficult to remove? I'm not sure...

Metal is porous. That's a bit different than surface roughness. Some metals, like aluminum, are very porous. Iron, whether sintered iron (e.g. Super Oilite or Super Oilite 16) or cast iron (your grandmother's skillet, which you 'Season' before use) are also porous. Oil soaks in. That is exactly what the Arch Analytical Services tests demonstrated in a rather elegant fashion: For aluminum - too much soaking-in to measure. For iron - less soaking but clearly it was happening, it could be observed and could be measured.

MMO is very thin oil plus solvents. The 'mystery' would be if it did not penetrate metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back