Can a 2005 Volvo go 300K Miles easily?

I was told and have found it to be correct, they are reliable cars. Not as reliable as a Honda or toyota, but longer lived than domestics and the other current Europeans. As the above poster demonstrated, they can be quirky electrically. Mechanically, I’ve known of several in the 200k+ range. My daughters s60 just turned 170k this month, and we’re still doing 10k OCIs on Castrol synthetic. It doesn’t leak. It runs smoothly. she will drive it 1000 miles this week, out of state. No worries.

VolvoZ

Just took it out for another test run/grocery run, and gas fill-up. Runs superb. No hiccups, except for one issue i just discovered: The gas cap lanyard just broke. I’ve had it....To the junkyard!!!! Just kidding. ;)

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Glad you found it!

I've done the CEM on all three Volvo P2s. One was pre-emptive, as the car was going to Utah, and I didn't want it to have any future issues.

It is a weak point, sort of, but we're talking 15-20 year old cars, here. Stuff crops up.

These guys are good:

VolvoZ

Glad you found it!

I've done the CEM on all three Volvo P2s. One was pre-emptive, as the car was going to Utah, and I didn't want it to have any future issues.

It is a weak point, sort of, but we're talking 15-20 year old cars, here. Stuff crops up.

These guys are good:

Very glad indeed Astro. And you were smart to pre-emptively fix the CEM...Utah is a long ride! I wish i had done the fix on our 04 V70R before my son and i went on a trip to Michigan a few years back. The 04 had previously incurred occasional CEM hiccups when it got very hot out, with the car immediately recovering and driving fine. We figured that since the problem rarely occurred, and that he would not be driving very much while doing research at Univ of Michigan campus for the summer, that the issue would be of little consequence. Well, we set out to Michigan on a cool/damp day and incurred a major CEM hiccup in Utica, NY (5 hours into the trip). Half of the electrical systems stopped working. We couldn’t even open the fuel door to get gas to return home. Fortunately we knew we could reset the system via battery disconnect, which “fixed” the problem temporarily, and allowed us to refuel and drive back home (without further incident, by the way). We swapped cars and all his belongings into my 2006 V70R and hit the road once again (10 hours after we first set out). We got him settled in Michigan and I flew back to MA. Immediately upon return home, the CEM came out and was sent to XEMODEX for the fix. No issues since that time.