Can a 2005 Volvo go 300K Miles easily?

I was told and have found it to be correct, they are reliable cars. Not as reliable as a Honda or toyota, but longer lived than domestics and the other current Europeans. As the above poster demonstrated, they can be quirky electrically. Mechanically, I’ve known of several in the 200k+ range. My daughters s60 just turned 170k this month, and we’re still doing 10k OCIs on Castrol synthetic. It doesn’t leak. It runs smoothly. she will drive it 1000 miles this week, out of state. No worries.

Just took it out for another test run/grocery run, and gas fill-up. Runs superb. No hiccups, except for one issue i just discovered: The gas cap lanyard just broke. I’ve had it....To the junkyard!!!! Just kidding. ;)

Glad you found it!

I've done the CEM on all three Volvo P2s. One was pre-emptive, as the car was going to Utah, and I didn't want it to have any future issues.

It is a weak point, sort of, but we're talking 15-20 year old cars, here. Stuff crops up.

These guys are good:

Glad you found it!

I've done the CEM on all three Volvo P2s. One was pre-emptive, as the car was going to Utah, and I didn't want it to have any future issues.

It is a weak point, sort of, but we're talking 15-20 year old cars, here. Stuff crops up.

These guys are good:

Very glad indeed Astro. And you were smart to pre-emptively fix the CEM...Utah is a long ride! I wish i had done the fix on our 04 V70R before my son and i went on a trip to Michigan a few years back. The 04 had previously incurred occasional CEM hiccups when it got very hot out, with the car immediately recovering and driving fine. We figured that since the problem rarely occurred, and that he would not be driving very much while doing research at Univ of Michigan campus for the summer, that the issue would be of little consequence. Well, we set out to Michigan on a cool/damp day and incurred a major CEM hiccup in Utica, NY (5 hours into the trip). Half of the electrical systems stopped working. We couldn’t even open the fuel door to get gas to return home. Fortunately we knew we could reset the system via battery disconnect, which “fixed” the problem temporarily, and allowed us to refuel and drive back home (without further incident, by the way). We swapped cars and all his belongings into my 2006 V70R and hit the road once again (10 hours after we first set out). We got him settled in Michigan and I flew back to MA. Immediately upon return home, the CEM came out and was sent to XEMODEX for the fix. No issues since that time.

Nice write up OP.

A few years after my wife and I got married we bought our first brand new car. A 1982 DL (2 door) with 4 speed manual trans with overdrive.

We sold it at 172K miles. It still drove and looked brand new. Doors still closed with a bank vault solidness. Sold it a friend who kept it until it hit 400k. Still ran great but burned oil.

Great cars, those Volvos of that generation.

Scott

Question:

I owned 3 P2 s60s. One had a rough history and didn’t stay long. The other 2 were favorites and enjoyed greatly. my daughter now has one and my neighbor the other. I have test driven about 4 of the second Gen s60s and just didn’t love any of them. They were louder, harsher, and drove very much like an accord and not like a Volvo. The weight felt off, the nose felt heavy, and the controls lost intuitiveness.

has anyone got experienced with the 3rd Gen? They look long, lean, and sleek, like they are begging to be RWD. ive heard the NVH is more like a first Gen. I’m uncertain about 98% of the controls being on a touch screen. Any opinions on the Gen 3s?

Question:

I owned 3 P2 s60s. One had a rough history and didn’t stay long. The other 2 were favorites and enjoyed greatly. my daughter now has one and my neighbor the other. I have test driven about 4 of the second Gen s60s and just didn’t love any of them. They were louder, harsher, and drove very much like an accord and not like a Volvo. The weight felt off, the nose felt heavy, and the controls lost intuitiveness.

has anyone got experienced with the 3rd Gen? They look long, lean, and sleek, like they are begging to be RWD. ive heard the NVH is more like a first Gen. I’m uncertain about 98% of the controls being on a touch screen. Any opinions on the Gen 3s?
I have driven a 2015 V60 FWR 3rd Gen. After many 240s, 740s, 940s and V70s I doubt I would buy one for the reasons you mention.

Question:

By 3rd Gen, do you mean the SPA platform (2019 and newer)? If so, i agree about the aesthetics. They are about the nicest styled vehicles anywhere (clean, interesting, beautiful, not gimmicky, classic looks). I’m pretty sure i’ll own a nice used one someday. However, if you were referring to the P3 (pre-SPA platform), my experience with those are limited to driving and helping maintain the P3s that my two kids own (daughter has 2008 XC70 3.2, while my son has a 2010 S80 V8). Both drive well, and look and feel pretty solid, but disappointingly, the underside of these vehicles definitely has a lot of Ford’s cheapening influence in terms of the rusting steel subframes and suspension components. Pretty sure the SPA platform has gone back to aluminum suspension components much like the P2 chassis had. Likewise would be interested in opinions and experiences with the SPA platform S60s (and V60s).

Last edited:
Question about Volvos:

Why do they burn out so many light bulbs?

I worked at AutoZone during A&P school, and I saw more Volvos with various lights (headlights, taillights, marker lights, turn signals, etc) burned out.

My wife had a C70 a few years ago before we got married and she said the same thing. Always burning out bulbs.

My Tacoma, on the other hand, rarely needs a bulb. I've changed headlight bulbs once or twice in 15 years. Taillights, maybe once. Can't remember ever changing turn signal bulbs.

Any Volvo owners here experience this? @Astro14 ?

I changed the headlights once in 153,000 miles on our 2007 V70. It was one of the lowest maintenance cars I’ve ever owned.

Question about Volvos:

I worked at AutoZone during A&P school, and I saw more Volvos with various lights (headlights, taillights, marker lights, turn signals, etc) burned out.

My wife had a C70 a few years ago before we got married and she said the same thing. Always burning out bulbs.

My Tacoma, on the other hand, rarely needs a bulb. I've changed headlight bulbs once or twice in 15 years. Taillights, maybe once. Can't remember ever changing turn signal bulbs.

They do seem to burn out tail light bulbs more often than other cars.

A bulb lasts five or six years instead of ten or more like my Mercedes.

It’s a noticeable difference but not a horrible burden.

Six years ago, I gave my daughter my 2002 V70 T5. I replaced every bulb before she got it. Last month, when she was getting an oil change, she had a brake light bulb replaced.

The dealer charged her $6.

Seems pretty reasonable.

When I went through my R model (a 2004 but new to me) I replaced the rear hatch struts - they all wear out eventually.

While I had the plastic trim off for the struts - I replaced every single bulb in the tail lights just because this platform tends to eat bulbs.

Still, not a horrible burden. More of a quirk.

In the meantime, my daughter’s V70 soldiers on with over 200,000 miles, short-tripped to the hospital every day, getting wrung out going to the mountains on weekends, with minimal care. In six years it’s needed oil changes, a strut bushing, two sets of tires, and a radiator.

It leads a hard life, has over 200,000 miles, but runs great and doesn’t use a drop of oil.

I can live with slightly more frequent bulb changes. I’ve gotten pretty good at them.

Question about Volvos:

front and rear DRLs on many 2000s models

The one with DRLs eats low beam bulbs as well. I always figured that was a DRL related problem.

John‘s question was about tail lamps - and I don’t know if they’re on with DRLs.

I honestly change my wife’s low beam bulbs every other oil change.

I don’t want to be out flying and have her tell me that her car has a warning about headlamp failure, or that she got a ticket for a burned out light.

If curious, hook up a meter at or near the bulb. I wonder if they somehow have higher voltage there, less drop through wiring—measuring voltage at the battery might not tell the whole story.

I've owned Volvo's since 1981. My first was a 81 242 two turbo 5 sp. BTW it was the first Turbo delivered east of the Mississippi. Plus according to my dealer I had the longest lasting oil cooled turbo in the U.S.. When it failed Volvo bought me a new water cooled one even though the car was out of warranty. Traded my 1987 740 Turbo 5sp wagon with 370K miles for my 2010 Prius. My present Volvo a 97 960 has 136K miles on it. Because of age I had to replace the AC compressor about four years ago and my steering rack last year due to it leaking.

Just to let you know I have a thing for the new S90's. I really like the look of that car.

The one with DRLs eats low beam bulbs as well. I always figured that was a DRL related problem.

John‘s question was about tail lamps - and I don’t know if they’re on with DRLs.

I honestly change my wife’s low beam bulbs every other oil change.

I don’t want to be out flying and have her tell me that her car has a warning about headlamp failure, or that she got a ticket for a burned out light.
my s60r had the inside DRL where the high beams go on the euro models instead of that dumb motorized one.

all cars of that era with DRLs programmed had marker lights and tails on, basically just disabled the high beams lol.

Last edited:
I've owned Volvo's since 1981. My first was a 81 242 two turbo 5 sp. BTW it was the first Turbo delivered east of the Mississippi. Plus according to my dealer I had the longest lasting oil cooled turbo in the U.S.. When it failed Volvo bought me a new water cooled one even though the car was out of warranty. Traded my 1987 740 Turbo 5sp wagon with 370K miles for my 2010 Prius. My present Volvo a 97 960 has 136K miles on it. Because of age I had to replace the AC compressor about four years ago and my steering rack last year due to it leaking.

Just to let you know I have a thing for the new S90's. I really like the look of that car.
I’ve driven one. Really nice car.

Almost bought the V90 a couple years ago, but wife liked the payment on her 2002 XC so it got a suspension rebuild, timing belt, and rear brakes.

Sadly the V90 is only available as a XC model now.

The straight wagon was much better looking.

The S90 is gorgeous.

Question about Volvos:

Oh yeah. It may be that they don’t use LL bulbs from the factory. Standard life bulbs have the advantage of slightly sharper focus and slightly hotter color temp, which is useful in headlamps, and probably not noticeable anywhere else except possibly turn signals. Tail lamps and marker lamps are what i always saw blown, but I never saw any of my replacements fail. The tails run with the drls, as others mentioned. It was a cheap Volvo tax. I’d gladly own another, and possibly might when/if we go electric at some point.

Back