MMO for Oil Consumption - trying it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GregGA
Do you only add this one time, or is it done every OCI?

You add it with every oil change. There is some residual benefit - MoS2 clings to metal surfaces - like bearings and piston rings and piston walls. But most will drain out with the oil. An added benefit is that your engine should run cooler, less friction, more efficiency. Many years ago, VW specified this product to reduce temperature in their shared engine/transmission oil supply.

The MoS2 particles in Liqui-Moly are very fine - in the .2-.3 Micron range - so they don't settle out of suspension. If you get some on your hands, you will discover how well it clings.

It's been a while, but I think the Dubnutz folks will ship a bunch of bottles for the same shipping fee.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Do you only add this one time, or is it done every OCI?

You add it with every oil change. There is some residual benefit - MoS2 clings to metal surfaces - like bearings and piston rings and piston walls. But most will drain out with the oil. An added benefit is that your engine should run cooler, less friction, more efficiency. Many years ago, VW specified this product to reduce temperature in their shared engine/transmission oil supply.

The MoS2 particles in Liqui-Moly are very fine - in the .2-.3 Micron range - so they don't settle out of suspension. If you get some on your hands, you will discover how well it clings.

It's been a while, but I think the Dubnutz folks will ship a bunch of bottles for the same shipping fee.

Good write up Dave!

Originally Posted By: dave5358
The last few bottles I bought came from a place called DubNutz Dubnutz Liqui-Moly MoS2

Cheap. Quick ship.

Darn, $10 shipping for one bottle. Do you only add this one time, or is it done every OCI?

I've found that 1 full can for the first treatment and try to extend the interval as long as possible,then half a can per oil change to maintain the fuel savings.
I spent countless hours in my hemi. Great truck.
Anyways after treating the engine with mos2 I wanted to see how long the fuel savings would last if I used none in the next oil change interval. After 2500-3000 miles the mileage dropped off to what I was getting when I first bought it(14mpg).
If I used mos2 I could routinely get 17mpg,and if I added my fankenbrew to my fuel I got 20-21mpg in 4wd on the highway,in the winter at 60mph

They are POS designs, in that they have no lifespan. I've never seen an air cooled engine run up any really high miles without major work. I had an air cooled Vanagon with the 2.0 liter flat four, not only was it a major pain to keep on the road, it was utterly gutless, expensive to fix, (Porshe design) and got less mileage than much more powerful vehicles, even at the time.

I guess you never owned BMW Boxer. You are confusing old technology with basic design, the boxer engines are/were very durable and certainly not a POS.

Originally Posted By: Trav
And when done right you get this.. A very long lived, durable and powerful engine minus the weight of water cooling and its headaches.

BMW Boxer

No offense Trav, but the engine in a top of the line BMW motorcycle is hardly comparable to the Scoobie Boxer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Trav
And when done right you get this.. A very long lived, durable and powerful engine minus the weight of water cooling and its headaches.

BMW Boxer

No offense Trav, but the engine in a top of the line BMW motorcycle is hardly comparable to the Scoobie Boxer.

No offence taken Steve. I understand that but i wasn't making that comparison. The guy posted the boxer design was inherently poor and i was just showing that it wasn't.
Just like there are good V8's, V6 and inline engines and there are some bad ones.

I had a 02 Acura TL, had to get rid of it because tranny keeps going out on it. It started consuming 1/2 qt every 2000 miles at around 90k.

Mixed quart of Rislone during OC & noticed oil went dark before even hit 2000 miles, so I performed another OC but this time using MMO instead, after having read on this forum that MMO is stronger than Rislone. But w/ Rislone my oil was black soup after 2k.

IMO Rislone did a fine job at removing the sludge/carbon build-up because oil did not get dark until almost 3000 miles later w/ MMO in it.

Nevertheless, oil consumption stopped after two OC using both Rislone & MMO.

I run Royal Purple in my car now & OCI is 8K. RP is dark purple straight out of the bottle therefore hard to detect sludge/carbon build-up by appearance. As a safety measure, I routinely ADD half quart (16oz) of MMO to my engine oil at 6K mark, drive another 2K before performing OC.

IMO what you're doing now is a simple way to remove any sludge/carbon build-up. Although you don't have to drain it at 1000 mile mark, it would be wise to monitor oil condition closely.

If oil turns dark after just 1K, drain & start over ASAP. If oil does not turn dark quickly, let MMO do its work for at least 2K before OC..

Last edited:
Just an update - I was able to run the MMO for 500 miles, I dumped the oil and changed it out with Valvoline 5W-30 and a new Purolator filter.

I can say that after 1500 miles now the motor is running well and I cannot measure any serious consumption now! I will keep this thread updated for when I change the oil at 110K - but the MMO really seemed to help!

Originally Posted By: Dominic
Just an update - I was able to run the MMO for 500 miles, I dumped the oil and changed it out with Valvoline 5W-30 and a new Purolator filter.

I can say that after 1500 miles now the motor is running well and I cannot measure any serious consumption now! I will keep this thread updated for when I change the oil at 110K - but the MMO really seemed to help!

Great news, in all honesty 500 miles really isn't giving it much time to work, but then again you have positive results so it worked. In the future if you use it again consider leaving it in for more than 500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Dominic

Good to hear. I like mmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back