Additive for oil consumption - Toyota 1AR-FE

Yeah my only complaint now is that the start-up rattle, typical of these engines, persists. I don't think the rink soak changed it. I may try some Restore (since I have it) and see if it does anything.

Yeah my only complaint now is that the start-up rattle, typical of these engines, persists. I don't think the rink soak changed it. I may try some Restore (since I have it) and see if it does anything.
No I think you a trolling, why would you put restore in after cleaning it? Restore is for when engine is on its last leg and you are trying to build compression. Putting stiff back in after cleaning makes no sense.

if you are down to 1cup consumption every 4k then move one with life.

aa
No I think you a trolling, why would you put restore in after cleaning it? Restore is for when engine is on its last leg and you are trying to build compression. Putting stiff back in after cleaning makes no sense.

j thought this was strange.

Nope, sorry to disappoint! :) I was reading about Restore and it sounded like there wasn't any harm to add it to a "healthy" engine. Based on what you're saying I'll skip it!

We're now up to almost 4000 miles since the ring soak.

It has consumed *maybe* a cup of oil. I can just tell that it's a teeny bit lower than where it started. Hope it holds!
You could probably save some money and just use Rislone motor oil treatment and conditioner at every oil change to help keep everything clean instead of spending a lot of $$ on more expensive ester based oils. I bet you would never have ring coking again. Just my 2cents.

waa way
You could probably save some money and just use Rislone motor oil treatment and conditioner at every oil change to help keep everything clean instead of spending a lot of $$ on more expensive ester based oils. I bet you would never have ring coking again. Just my 2cents.
That’s what we’re doing in all three vehicles. Rislone Engine Treatment concentrate has been a massive surprise to this old bloke. Best automotive related product I’ve used in half a century mucking about with vehicles.

Glad your up and running without burning excessive oil.
That's a PITA for sure.
My 13 suburban 5.3 started using about 1qt every 800 miles or so.
HPL EC reduced consumption but still consuming.

With no EC on hand, I tried HotShots stiction eliminator. (Cringe)
But...
Problem solved. Changed filter at 1k, changed oil to M1 ESP 5w30 at 2k. Dipstick is at full mark after 2500 miles.

I dislike HotShots Marketing Hype, but it did clean the engine and stopped consumption.

Just did the first oil change after the ring soak. Around 6k miles, maybe 1/4-1/2 quart of consumption at the most. Sounds good to me!

I put in some 5w-40 T6 I had on the shelf to see if it will help with the startup rattle. I can't decide if thicker or thinner oil should be what helps :/

Just did the first oil change after the ring soak. Around 6k miles, maybe 1/4-1/2 quart of consumption at the most. Sounds good to me!

I put in some 5w-40 T6 I had on the shelf to see if it will help with the startup rattle. I can't decide if thicker or thinner oil should be what helps :/
The start-up rattle is sometimes caused by the oil filter. Which brand are you using?
EDIT: Disregard this comment. I see you got the cartridge type, so oil filter would have much effect, unlike the canister type.

Back