MMO for Oil Consumption - trying it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well David you have a good point - although I don't believe in a stop leak. If you read my original post, my hypothesis is that by cleaning the ring packs around the pistons, especially the oil control rings, I may be able to free up one or two and slow down the oil loss per 1000 miles.

With that said, I don't believe in stop leaks or thickeners. I'd much rather have good lubrication than anything else, and after this single bout of MMO I plan to go back to just 5W30 only. Never before has this engine seen an additive or flush, always synthetic, always changed on time.

As I said before - my PCV valve is only 10,000 miles old. Changed it at 95K. I plan to check it, but I doubt it's an issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Virtually every high performance engine and almost every forced induction engine have significant fuel dilution. So do Direct Injected motors.

I have never seen any data to link fuel dilution to engine damage.

Please define "significant".

As for the second part, take your case with Amsoil: http://www.tsadvancedsynthetics.com/facts/Fuel_Dilution_Causes_and_Effects.htm

Quote:
Fuel dilution of motor oil can be very detrimental to an engine and its components. Under normal operation, the motor oil film is keeping metal surfaces and their asperities separated to prevent wear.

All of the following can occur if fuel enters the crankcase and contaminates the motor oil:

• Reduced oil viscosity
• Disrupts the oil film strength causing metal asperities to contact each other promoting engine wear, particularly in the cylinder/ring area
• Increases volatility (in very extreme cases it can lead to a crankcase explosion)
• Weakened lubricant detergency
• Accelerated lubricant oxidation
• Varnish formation
• Acid formation/corrosion
• Low oil pressure

I know about the hypothesized issues. I'm talking about real world problems. I'm not trying to sell you oil!

There are a TON of engines from mundane DI econocars to radical forced induction hot rods that have serious fuel dilution all the time, yet they are not exploding.

I'm sure many members remember my Honda Odyssey sludge threads.
I had a lot of pictures that i unfortunately had to take down because of misinterpretation meaning they thought it applied to other non VCM V6 engines or people didn't want to believe it and got pretty nasty.

Well here is an interesting thread that has come to my attention. It seems more and more of these are showing up as time goes by. Read the results, page 2 post 22
So much for solvents damaging the engines.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/150119-high-oil-consumption-05-vcm.html

Originally Posted By: Trav

Trav,

You are the person who taught me to use Kreen, thanks for that.
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying not to use MMO, Kreen or similar additives that contain solvents. I use them myself.

I just disagreed with you when you ridiculed the claim that MMO can decrease oil lubricity.

If it contains solvents, of course it will, by the virtue of dilution. Lets not twist the facts.

There are a TON of engines from mundane DI econocars to radical forced induction hot rods that have serious fuel dilution all the time, yet they are not exploding.

You restated your point replacing "significant" with "serious". Is that supposed to prove fuel dilution is beneficial?

I had a lot of pictures that i unfortunately had to take down because of misinterpretation meaning they thought it applied to other non VCM V6 engines or people didn't want to believe it and got pretty nasty.

Well here is an interesting thread that has come to my attention. It seems more and more of these are showing up as time goes by. Read the results, page 2 post 22
So much for solvents damaging the engines.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/150119-high-oil-consumption-05-vcm.html

You took a lot of heat for talking about the sludge issues with those engines, I remember it quite well buddy. Sometimes it takes more than just good oil and following the OM or OLM to maintain an engine with design issues. Seems more and more Honda owners are learning it the hard way with that engine.

You restated your point replacing "significant" with "serious". Is that supposed to prove fuel dilution is beneficial?

Great "twist", but still nothing to prove any harm from a bit of fuel dilution. You posted it as fact, but it is not.

Trav,

You are the person who taught me to use Kreen, thanks for that.
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying not to use MMO, Kreen or similar additives that contain solvents. I use them myself.

I just disagreed with you when you ridiculed the claim that MMO can decrease oil lubricity.

If it contains solvents, of course it will, by the virtue of dilution. Lets not twist the facts.

No problem. I am open to discussion on anything. I agree they thin the oil somewhat and lower the TBN but they don't seem to be harmful short term when used properly.

We all know that when abused anything can be harmful e.g. coolant. It does a great job up to a certain percentage but the more is better mentality doesn't work even for that, go over 70% and you can can have cooling system issues.

My point is basically IMO the oil can tolerate some dilution be it from a "solvent" based product or gasoline without seriously impacting its lubrication properties.
I apologize if it sounded like i ridiculed the point i certainly didn't mean to come of sounding that way.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
So after 105,000 miles the Subaru is finally consuming 1/2qt or so every 1000 miles. I'm now trying 1qt of MMO in the sump as an oil additive for the next 1000 mile interval before my oil change to see if it helps some of the consumption. I will use this thread to report back as time goes forward on the progress.

Anyone have any good stories though about MMO helping their oil consumption? I am hoping to clean up any sticky oil control rings.

I use and like MMO, but not to reduce oil consumption. Basically MMO cleans the intake system and valves, may help the valves to seat, things like that. In my 'driving lifetime', we've gone from leaded gas to unleaded gas to unleaded gas with ethanol. Environmental and political considerations aside, each newer fuel has less and less lubricating qualities. Your engine notices things like this. MMO is the cure! As for your Subie using oil . . .

An engine can use oil in several ways.

- Leak. Solution: fix the leak, replace the seal(s) or gaskets, whatever. Using heavier oil will probably not help.

- Oil going down valve stems. This was a big problem on early water cooled VW engines... probably not a big problem on Subaru flat engines. Solution: replace the valve stem seals. As above, heavier oil will probably not fix this.

- Oil going past the rings. The obvious solution is to replace the rings and hone the cylinders. But you might try adding something like Molydenum Disulfide to the oil (a popular brand name is Lubro Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction additive). It will plate your rings and cylinders and will reduce your oil consumption in this area. There are some other benefits as well, but reducing oil consumption is pretty well documented.

You really don't have too many other choices. If you use heavier oil, your engine will be less efficient and some critical parts may be starved for lubrication. I've got a turbo Forester and I always wince when I hear owners talking about using heavier oils.

Or, you could just continue to add the correct grade of oil as needed. It is the cheapest fix. Oil going past the rings doesn't really hurt anything. Your neighbors will talk when you start your car in the morning and let out a cloud of smoke. My neighbors talk anyway.

Virtually every high performance engine and almost every forced induction engine have significant fuel dilution. So do Direct Injected motors.

2 stroke engines have HUGE fuel dilution!

Originally Posted By: expat

Agreed!

Most of mine at a 50:1 ratio or even more! How can they keep running at that level?

Originally Posted By: expat

Wow! Imagine that and the engine manages to stay effectively lubed with just a little oil in all that solvent (gasoline).

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Or, you could just continue to add the correct grade of oil as needed. It is the cheapest fix. Oil going past the rings doesn't really hurt anything. Your neighbors will talk when you start your car in the morning and let out a cloud of smoke. My neighbors talk anyway.

Dave I like your comment - and honestly I plan to do just this. If it gets too bad, maybe I'll drop in a new engine or trade the car - but right now it drives well and is mechanically sound aside from a tiny bit of oil use. Thanks for the helpful post!

Originally Posted By: Dominic

Dave I like your comment - and honestly I plan to do just this. If it gets too bad, maybe I'll drop in a new engine or trade the car - but right now it drives well and is mechanically sound aside from a tiny bit of oil use. Thanks for the helpful post!

If you add MMO to your oil, it will 'clean' your engine, but also thin the oil - probably not the best idea for an oil-burning engine.

If you add oil thickeners (e.g. Motor Honey, et al), why not just use thicker oil, with its attendant problems? Further, many thickeners contain PTFE (Teflon) which DuPont, the inventor, and others state clearly that it has no use inside an engine.

Try MoS2 for a couple of oil changes. It's not exactly a miracle cure - but pretty close. A bottle is about the price of a quart of oil. Personally, I like it.

Try MoS2 for a couple of oil changes. It's not exactly a miracle cure - but pretty close. A bottle is about the price of a quart of oil. Personally, I like it.

+1 on the MoS2. If the cylinder walls have some scoring or imperfections many of us believe MoS2 will fill those voids. It isn't a permanent fix but it will help while the MoS2 is in the oil. Some residual effects might carry over to the next OCI should you decide not to use it. I'd give it a shot.

so liquimoly? http://youtu.be/qMJ1Fl1B77E

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2009-An...words=liquimoly

looks cheap and easy to try - I may give it a shot
smile.gif

Last edited:
The last few bottles I bought came from a place called DubNutz Dubnutz Liqui-Moly MoS2

Cheap. Quick ship.

Darn, $10 shipping for one bottle. Do you only add this one time, or is it done every OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back