MMO and oil buring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone expereinced oil buring when using MMO? Im about 2K miles with MMO and about 4500 miles over all . Today i added a half of a qrt...no biggie. Before MMO never had any oil burning.

MMO with GC?! I would only use on a carbed car or yard machine with dino as a pre change cleanup. This stuff has chlorinited naphthenes and benzenes which are proven bearing eaters. Recall Prolong?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
MMO with GC?! I would only use on a carbed car or yard machine with dino as a pre change cleanup. This stuff has chlorinited naphthenes and benzenes which are proven bearing eaters. Recall Prolong?

Boy, this movement to play tribologist with MMO is really something else. Why on earth would someone feel compelled to take a beautiful oil like GC and add solvent to it? That's beyond me.

I noticed i needed a quart of oil about 1800 miles into my last oil change with a quart of mmo in the crankcase. Im not sure if it evaporates or what, but i never needed to add a quart before.

This didnt alarm me though, just an observation.

My common sense tells me that a much thinner oil {MMO] would burn or leak at a faster rate. It kinda has to.
Not every engine uses enough oil to really tell.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Has anyone expereinced oil buring when using MMO? Im about 2K miles with MMO and about 4500 miles over all . Today i added a half of a qrt...no biggie. Before MMO never had any oil burning.

This happened when I added MMO to my oil on my Marauder, 1000 miles into the OCI I noticed I was down about 8 ounces of oil. I added 8 ounces of oil and I am 4000 miles into this OCI, so between 1000 miles and 4000 miles there has been no oil consumption. I asked Demarpaint, and he told me this has happened to him when using MMO in the oil for the 1st time. His thought is that maybe MMO is soaking into some crud in the ring packs or maybe into some junk inside the engine.

Originally Posted By: c3po

This happened when I added MMO to my oil on my Marauder, 1000 miles into the OCI I noticed I was down about 8 ounces of oil. I added 8 ounces of oil and I am 4000 miles into this OCI, so between 1000 miles and 4000 miles there has been no oil consumption. I asked Demarpaint, and he told me this has happened to him when using MMO in the oil for the 1st time. His thought is that maybe MMO is soaking into some crud in the ring packs or maybe into some junk inside the engine.

Thats what i thought. Mine was down a half of a qrt so i added more GC.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Boy, this movement to play tribologist with MMO is really something else. Why on earth would someone feel compelled to take a beautiful oil like GC and add solvent to it? That's beyond me.

Thanks for the comments but it dosent answer my question.

I do not think you are burning oil. The flash point of MMO is 160 degrees Fahrenheit. This low flash point will cause the volatiles to flash off at operating temperature. So, you are adding MMO and it is basically evaporating leaving behind the additive pack and detergents.

I had this same thing happen to my car. I added 1/2 quart of MMO. Within 1-week, I was down 1/2 quart and started searching for leaks. I found none and then found the MSDS which had the flash point for MMO.

I am not bashing MMO. I am just saying that you have a high evaporation rate at operating temp.

I changed my oil with 3.5 qts 10W30 and 18 oz (half a quart plus 2 oz) MMO on Saturday. My oil is also a bit low today. I'll keep an eye on it and add the other half quart when it gets to that point.

I added a pint of MMO when I was 1200 miles shy of this oil change and it did the same thing, it went down some over the course of a few weeks, but not low enough to have any more oil added. I agree, parts of MMO must burn off quickly and show a lower level on the dip stick. It's still nothing to worry about and no reason to stop using MMO in my oil though.

Originally Posted By: wildjyoung
I do not think you are burning oil. The flash point of MMO is 160 degrees Fahrenheit. This low flash point will cause the volatiles to flash off at operating temperature. So, you are adding MMO and it is basically evaporating leaving behind the additive pack and detergents.

I had this same thing happen to my car. I added 1/2 quart of MMO. Within 1-week, I was down 1/2 quart and started searching for leaks. I found none and then found the MSDS which had the flash point for MMO.

I am not bashing MMO. I am just saying that you have a high evaporation rate at operating temp.

Makes sence. Thanks for the info.

You're not burning any GC but you are burning off the MMO. If your car never burned oil before then you should not have to top off any more than the amount of MMO you put in originally.

I have experienced this with every car I added MMO to but I consider the benefits to outweigh the inconvenience.

BTW, I've done the MMO + GC combo before. Don't ever dream of trying to do extended drain with that combo unless you'll be able to check the oil level in order to do top offs. I'd say an extended drain would benefit from fresh GC anyways.

A lot of people use a little more oil than normal with the addition of MMO. Just check the oil more frequently and top up with more oil, not MMO. As sangyup81 mentioned the benefits outweigh the inconvience if you are trying to clean up an engine or quiet it down. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back