MMO and false advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK GMorg, begining to understand now. 0-1% by weight chlorinated hydrocarbons in MMO which is then used at 4 oz. per 10 gallons (as recommended) does not seem like a lot. Wouldn't the other additives which are rust inhibiting negate the effects of any acid produced. This just doesn't seem to be a concern for me. If you switch to something else, what would that be?

From what I understand, MMO contains no rust inhibitors. In fact, the MMO air tool lube is just regular MMO with rust/corrosion inhibitors added.

If you are making reference to the corrosion inhibitors that are in the crankase oil, then you have to consider how they could work in the exhaust system, piston dome/top and head cavity.

From MMO's website: "Marvel Air Tool Oil contains a heavy duty corrosion additive which is not in the Marvel Mystery Oil. Otherwise, they are the same formula. "

My guess is that any oil or organic solvent that can keep moisture off of metal would fall into the "combats internal motor rust" catagory. I clearly don't know the meaning of "combats" in this context.

You can still buy MMO in Canada. Haven't checked the label to see if it says anything about chlorinated solvents being present/absent though.

The chlorinated products are more then likely what has Pablo and Terry up in arms. Generaly chlorinated additives are bad for long term engine life.

Read somewhere that mmo was banned in Canada when they restricted products with chlorinated solvent. In addition to a loss of market there was an organized letter writing campaign by the airplane guys that came to depend on it for control of lead deposits in AV gas. MMO suposedly reponded by removeing the ingedient in question.

Not sure if all this is accurate, read it on the internet. Guess one way to test is to see if it's still sold in Canada? It may be the chlorinated solvent may just needed to be reduced to certain level?
Like mentioned above diluted at label levels in fuel it's probably a non issue? 3 strokes of combustion byproduct may be more corrosive? Also doesn't the conditions have to be perfect for the chemical reaction? heat, pressure, water present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back