MMO = No Go

The issue with Trufuel seems to be the quality control. I stopped recommending it once I saw a few customers of mine having issues with it. Most of their machines would still start fine, just lack power or not rev out.

I live in New England and E0 fuel is pretty much non-existent. I tell people to run the VP Racing pre-mix or Echo Red Armor canned fuel if they don't use very much for 2-strokes, and that seems to work really well. For my own stuff I just run E10 87 fuel in everything but run the equipment dry before storage.
I had been running TruFeul 50:1 in Stihl machines until three years ago. IIRC I ran over a gallon thru the chainsaw while cutting up some large trees. I don't recall any problems but since then have switched to 89 Octane E0 with Husqvarna JASO FD rated oil. There are definitly no problems to report with this brew.

My old crapsman mower was running not so great the last time it ran. Added about a thimble of MMO and after a few minutes it cleared up. MMO always has to be way better than ethanol jelly in the carb.
Sometimes if the carb jets are only slightly clogged you can get lucky and running seafoam or MMO in the fuel can clean things up. If the carburetor is gummed up then nothing in the fuel will help.

I had been running TruFeul 50:1 in Stihl machines until three years ago. IIRC I ran over a gallon thru the chainsaw while cutting up some large trees. I don't recall any problems but since then have switched to 89 Octane E0 with Husqvarna JASO FD rated oil. There are definitly no problems to report with this brew.
I generally just use Echo, Husqvarna, or Opti-2 oil with E10 fuel and run them dry when I'm done. I haven't personally experienced issues the few times I've used TruFuel, but I have seen it cause issues in customer machines. My guess is that it just isn't as good at withstanding sitting around like they claim, and the customers machines I had issues with the fuel was quite old.

Regardless, if you can find E0 fuel locally that would be my pick.

I use pump gas and quality 2 stroke oil . I just stop using them when the leaves stop dropping and are cleaned up and the lawn stops growing . My oldest a Husky back pack blower and weed wacker were purchased new in 2000 Honda lawn mower and higher power weed wacker bought in 2011

So you added MMO without decreasing the 2-stroke oil ratio? You simply got the same effect as you would from adding too much 2-stroke oil to gas. Not MMOs fault, but a fault of a too-oil-rich mixture, once 2-stroke oil and MMO oil are combined in that mixture with gas.
Here are a couple notes on that topic straight from MMO:
- For 2-cycle engines, add ½ ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil or Marvel Ultimate Fuel & Motor Treatment per 1 gallon of gasoline to the engine. Use regularly for improved results.
- Yes, MMO is safe for use in 2-cycle engines. You can supplement your oil by adding up to 25% more MMO than the 2-cycle oil required.

I haven't had any issues with adding MMO to any of my 2 strokes. I guess I do ran my tools a bit lean because I try to do 40:1 mix plus MMO. Las time I took off exhaust or looked down the bore I haven't seen any scaring or wear marks though. I guess good oil helps.

Back