mixing tri-syn with super syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few quarts of older M1 trisyn... if i used these 2 quarts with 3 quarts of super syn, would there be any problems? any disadvantages?

From the Mobil 1 website:
quote:
Mixing New Mobil 1 With Other Motor Oils Question Can I mix the new Mobil 1 SuperSyn™ with the old Mobil 1? -- Eric Walkinshaw, Clifford, Indiana Question Yes, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is fully compatible with any of the past Mobil 1 motor oils, including Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic™. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is also compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them.
I say go for it!

eldawg4100

great ill have to do it... i feel like i need 5w30, because when i leave my car out all night 20 to 30 degrees, i get a little knockin' (mobil 1 10w30) even tho 20 30 degrees should be nothing to the 10w30...

Patman

Staff member
As long as you don't go over about a 5-6k interval, you'll be fine. I wouldn't go further than that with any mixed setup like that.

I think occasional mixing of oils (especially within the brand) is fine. People do it all the time with no ill effects. It's the people who think they are "building a better mousetrap" and improving on formulas by mixing who are kidding themselves. [Wink] --- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.