Mixing synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never have and generally do not mix motor oils, but the lack of good deals and my ample oil stash has me thinking that I should just use what I've got for this next change.

If you guys had to select a 6-qt mix of oil from the following list, what would you choose? Application is an '08 Dodge 4.7 with M1 oil filter for an 8k OCI (2 months or so) in Northern/Central CA.

What I've got:

Mobil 1 0w20 AFE - 5 qts
Mobil 1 5w20 - 4 qts
Penn. Ultra 5w20 - 1 qt
Mobil 1 0w30 AFE - 2 qts
Penn. Ultra 5w30 - 3 qts
Mobil 1 5w30 - 1 qt
Mobil 1 5w30 HM - 2 qts
Mobil 1 0w40 - 16 qts
Mobil 1 5w40 TDT - 9 qts
Mobil 1 15w50 - 8 qts
Amsoil 20w50 - 1 qt

I was actually just thinking of using 5 qts of the M1 0w20 and throwing in the Amoil 20w50 since it has been sitting around a few years...is this a bad idea? Should I stick with a 20wt or 30wt for all 6 quarts? Or does it not even matter?

In California it does not matter at all. Mix any and all even 50 weight. You buy great oils to begin with. All your mixing will do is enhance protection.

Mobil 1 0w20 5 qts
Amsoil 20w50 - 1 qt

3.33w-25 is the mix from this.

It should be safe. Winter is coming in the Valley and you do see freezing temperatures at times, and if you go up in the hills or Sierras you see them an awful lot. I would let the engine warm up a bit before you started out.

When the hot summer rolls around, and in the Central Valley it gets REALLY hot, then he can use a bigger portion of the heavy stuff from his stash. Waste not, want not.

Last edited:
I generally use a thick 30wt (M1 0w40 or German Castrol) in the summer months because the truck sees very severe duty in hot & dusty conditions. This engine doesnt really like anything thicker, and even the GC was a bit thick so I generally use the 0w40 now.

Guess I'll go with mobil 1 again...5-0w20 and 1-5w20 this time around.

1st Oil Change
Mobil 1 5W20 - 4 Qt
Mobil 1 5W30 - 1 Qt
Penn Ultra 5W20 - 1 Qt

2nd Oil Change
Mobil 1 0W20 AFE - 2 Qt
Mobil 1 0W30 AFE - 2 Qt
Mobil 1 5W30 HM - 2 Qt

3rd Oil Change
Mobil 1 0W20 AFE - 3 Qt
Penn Ultra 5W30 - 3 Qt

Oils Left
Mobil 1 0w40 - 16 qts
Mobil 1 5w40 TDT - 9 qts
Mobil 1 15w50 - 8 qts
Amsoil 20w50 - 1 qt

M1 0W40 - Save for Euro or LS V8 Chevy.
TDT - Save for a Diesel, Old Hotrod or Motorcycle.
M1 15W50 - Track Car or Motorcycle.
Amsoil 20W50 - Mix with M1 15W50.

I was thinking that you can use up the heavy stuff but in your engine it needs to be done slowly, by diluting it with the thinner types. In your engine the thinner types are most useful. The ones marked with the asterisk. The heavyweights can be used one quart per six in winter or two in summer. The Mobil One 0W-40 should be touched last as in a pinch I think your vehicle could do 3 quarts of it mixed in. If you mix the heaviest ones in at an average of 2 quarts per change they will last you about 4.5 years. Only the last three on the list are problematic, but they are still good oils and I do not think they should be wasted. Diluting them gets them put to work. You might need to buy some more 0W-20 oil to dilute the heavyweights, but I do not think you will see any real drop in mileage by blending them in.

*Mobil 1 0w20 AFE - 5 qts
*Mobil 1 5w20 - 4 qts
*Penn. Ultra 5w20 - 1 qt
*Mobil 1 0w30 AFE - 2 qts
Penn. Ultra 5w30 - 3 qts
Mobil 1 5w30 - 1 qt
Mobil 1 5w30 HM - 2 qts
Mobil 1 0w40 - 16 qts
Mobil 1 5w40 TDT - 9 qts
Mobil 1 15w50 - 8 qts
Amsoil 20w50 - 1 qt

The M1 15w50 and 5w40 tdt are for use in my '97 MB and '84 BMW. The M1 0w40 works great in my 4.7L during the busy & hot summer months around the orchards, and gives me peace of mind with such high tbn for extended intervals (8k) under severe conditions. I also use this stuff in my cousins' 2006 pathfinder (vq40) and 1999 3kgt SL with extended intervals. Mobil 1's 5w30/10w30 HM oils also work well in the summer for my truck. Anything thicker makes the motor feel a bit sluggish.

The rest were purchased specifically for my truck, all during a special of some sort. I imagine I'll be stocking up again before the next oil change if Pep Boys has their $5/qt black Friday M1 special.

I will say that though I'm a huge Mobil 1 fan (especially in thicker euro weights) I really prefer Pennzoil Ultra for a thinner 20wt oil. It's the only OTC 20wt oil I'm aware of that has a high starting TBN.

Of course if money wasn't an issue, everything I own would be running on Redline...

Well, (expletive deleted) then you know what to do with that heavy stuff.

Funny thing, I have a huge stash of various oils. But if I had to do it all over agein, I would go with Mobil 1 0W-40 or something close by Redline. There is a place in Ontario that can get Redline for maybe seven to eight dollars a quart, but you have to drive over there to get it. I think those two oils will cover any temperature in the American West, at any time, whether you are in Death Valley in summer or Angel Fire N.M. in the winter.

Last edited:
Agreed...Redline is the ambrosia of the oil world. I'm even thinking of buying a couple cases for the BMW, and even using 1qt per change as an additive in the other vehicles.

I have yet to come across a better "all around" oil than Mobil 1 0w40, since Redline is overkill for most applications. But I was pleasantly surprised by Ultra 5w20, especially since my truck didn't seem to like PP 5w20 after a couple thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back