Curious response from Mobil 1 on mixing viscosities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Is Mobil one avaliable in 6 gallon box or 5 gallon buckets?

Why do you waste time with such small quantities?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZIE8U4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YC6zDbVSJKRXR

$8.90 per quart

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Kestas
What they are saying is that some oils have a different chemistry from others. For example, their 0W-40 has (I think) more MoS2 in it that other grades don't have. High-mileage oils have their own unique chemistries.

What does this mean in practical terms?.... not much. But then we're an oil web site; such esoterica are discussed.

Exactly (they're going to "cya").. and lol at the last part. There's the law of unintended consequences...a chance mixing formulas could throw off the balance of additives. From a practical standpoint, how much of a concern this should be is beyond my pay grade.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
actually you are not mixing. you are blending!
real blenders will tell you that when you blend 5W30 and 0W30, you get 2.5W30
Everyone happy now?
shocked2.gif

my point is there has been many threads recommending against mixing ... regarding the performance specifically the cold (very cold) temperature performance and the issues that it may cause.
I think the conclusion was that if you have to mix once in a while to get rid of leftover oil, it's ok but don't make a habit of it.

basically, I wouldn't do it in winter if I lived in Alaska or N. Canada. Not worth taking the risk.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by leeharvey418
Is Mobil one avaliable in 6 gallon box or 5 gallon buckets?

Why do you waste time with such small quantities?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZIE8U4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YC6zDbVSJKRXR

$8.90 per quart

crazy2.gif

No kidding. If you read the Q&A on the listing, somebody complained about the 'before discount' price being $10/quart. Based on the response, I'm guessing that they've since updated it to remove a hypothetical shipping charge and they're posting the lower price. Either way, they're putting the buyer over the barrel, so to speak.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
What if your vehicle called for 5w30 but you used half 0w20 and half 10w40?

I would assume it would be 10w30.

1 Quart Each:
Ravenol
Redline
Amsoil SS
Schaeffers
Royal Purple HPS

It's wasteful to use Schaeffer's if you're going to just dilute out that antimony additive!!
;^)

I mix m1 0w16 with pz 20w50 in a 50 50 ratio. Smooth like butter. No harmful effects. This is my summer brew. Cheers.

Originally Posted by Rav4H2019
I mix m1 0w16 with pz 20w50 in a 50 50 ratio. Smooth like butter. No harmful effects. This is my summer brew. Cheers.

There won't be any "harmful effects" if they are API licensed oils, that should not be the focus of the discussion. Successfully passing ASTM D6922 demonstrates there will not be harmful effects.

But the mixture you made may not necessarily meet any specification, license or approval including SN (and likely does not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back