Mixing PP grades?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually run the specified 5w30 PP in my Mazdaspeed3, but am thinking about using the Euro 5w40 in the summer (when I also auto-x). Rather than 100% heavier, I was thinking of a 50/50 mix. Any downside to mixing different oils from the same company?

Mobil 1 says no problem, they will blend. Valvoline says don't do it. I e-mailed Pennzoil as I was considering blending the Platinum 15W-50 with the Platinum 10W-30. I got a rather nasty reply but the gist was they say don't do it.

I don't think there is a problem, but they don't want to be held liable for anything such as the fact that a custom mix is not API certified (even if both oils are).

They blend oils themselves all the time, both synthetic and conventional (and synthetic with conventional).

Yes, but they blend to a lab formulation, not in the kitchen.

I would not mix PP 5W-30 with Euro Formula 5W-40. Two completely different base stocks and additive packages.

FrankN4, please tell us about the nasty reply.

There is no reason to mix oils trying to achieve a better product. Leave that to the lube engineers. Your PP 5-30 is a great oil for year round use.

Originally Posted By: tig1
There is no reason to mix oils trying to achieve a better product. Leave that to the lube engineers. Your PP 5-30 is a great oil for year round use.

I agree it is fine for general use, but if I periodically push the engine at the track, the heavier weight would help, would it not?

I would not mix the two oils for the reasons others have stated. I think it is NOT obvious that a heaver oil is beneficial for Auto Xing.

Not necessarily. But if you want to try a heavier weight just use that weight, don't mix them.

I went to the 24 Hours of Daytona this year and saw most of those prototype cars pouring off the shelf Mobil 1 5W-30 in their engines. I would think a good synthetic 5W-30 would surely work for some occasional auto-x if it will work in a 24 hour endurance race.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
How about mixing 5w-30 and 10w-30 PP or 5w-30 and 10w-3 YBP? No bigee with that is there?

It's no biggy except you completely change the formulation of the two products. One has less of this while the other has more of that and you don't know what you have. I seen people say on here I mix so much of this weight with so much of that weight and now I have this weight. They really have no clue what they have. Most are not chemist and you cannot blend oil in the kitchen.

I know folks have done it for year, but not this old country boy.

Thanks, Johnny and others. You've convinced me to stick to my regular PP oil which I like a lot.

Originally Posted By: JC_VT25
Originally Posted By: tig1

I agree it is fine for general use, but if I periodically push the engine at the track, the heavier weight would help, would it not?

Johnny is right. I wouldn't mix oils yourself trying for a better product. Also the 5-30 you are using should be OK for the track. See Johnny's post under,Racing section. It's the Daytona post.

Last edited:
I believe mixing down grades the product(s) especially regarding acceptable OCI. Minor changes in viscosity are likely to be dramatically offset by potential mix problems.

Nevertheless I do it for 'very specific' application

All of my vehicles get a fraction of a quart with each oil change so the fraction comes from that open bottle on the shelf but that is the only mixing I do. I am usually only dumping some 5w20 into some 5w30

If you want a thicker oil that protects well under heavy loading, run Rotella T synthetic. It's a 5W-40, and has shown to work well in the MS3's. It's $19 per gallon at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back