Mixing Multi w/ Straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
During summer months I usually use a straight 30wt in my 1993 186K 4.0 G.Cherokee Laredo. The other night I topped off after 2000 miles with almost a quart of 10w30. Something occured to me: I just added a quart of oil with VIIs to 5qts of straight 30wt. Question: Will the VIIs disperse into the 30wt and effectively convert it to a 40wt or higher at operating temperature? or are the VIIs permanently bonded to the 10w30 oil?

quote:

Originally posted by Rhinebeck:
During summer months I usually use a straight 30wt in my 1993 186K 4.0 G.Cherokee Laredo. The other night I topped off after 2000 miles with almost a quart of 10w30..................

Since you live in the Tar Heel State where it is nice and warm right now, why not stick with the straight 30 dino oil? You will not need 10w-30 'till late November or early December.

This is a real good question that hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks on the board will address. Hope there is nothing wrong with it cause I did it to my boat yesterday (10w40 mixed into straight 30) after sucking some out for a UOA and changing the filter to add some Auto-Rx. Did it hoping it will compensate for the 20 weight of the Rx. Will this make the cold viscosity lower and make the upper end viscosity more unstable? And what about mixing say one part straight 40 or 50 into two parts 20w50? Would this increase the cold viscosity and maybe make it more shear-stable on the upper end? (Of course we're talking about using the same brand oil.) If that is the case I have a very usable application in mind.

Thanks Doyall, yeah, still wondering if those VIIs are plentiful enough to effect the Non-VII oils if we mix them. Hopefully not.

You will never get more than a 30 wt at operating temperature by mixing 10W-30 and straight 30 wt. You will have something like a 20W-30. That's just a wild wild guess.

Oh and
welcome.gif
cheers.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back