Mixing ATF's to get a fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Collingwood
So, Dexron 6 mixes with and works fine with Dex3 applications?

The Dex6 costs about twice as much as D3/M fluid.

According to GM, yes. However, I am using Dex VI due to rebuilders spec fluid. Also, something that is no longer a licensed product I do not trust. If it was AMSoil or a premium brand Dex III I would trust it. But a run of the mill, general/all around fluid, I prefer the licensed product. In a stock, standard usage vehicle I compromise on price and capability. I don't need anything super high-tech and fancy. On the 1998 modified V8 Dodge Dakota I had, I used higher end products because I beat the ever-loving [censored] out of that truck. I drove it hard, I didn't cut it any slack. I used Schaffer 9000 engine oil, RP trans fluid, and various full-syn gear oils for the rear diff.

Don't mix a Dex/Merc or Dexron III with a Chrysler ATF+.

If the transmission originally speced Dexron III it should be able to use Dexron VI.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive but is very much more stable.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Don't mix a Dex/Merc or Dexron III with a Chrysler ATF+.

If the transmission originally speced Dexron III it should be able to use Dexron VI.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive but is very much more stable.

Yes, I'm not mixing different levels, just different brands basically.

Pick a fluid and fill it up with that. Get enough of the other to do a full exchange in a year or so.

That's what I would do.

I also wouldn't burn up my transmission because I can't be bothered to pull it out of overdrive. Clearly your "it should because I Think it should approach was not wise.

I pulled this nearly 1000 miles both empty and full and didn't use overdrive for more than 100 miles or so. The truck was telling me that it wasn't happy and I listened.

My reward for doing so is not having to replace the trans. I'm at 194k on the original and constantly pull much worse than this little thing

Your ego cost you a LOT of money.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back