Mix M1 5w-30 and CG 0w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster, long timer browser. Great Site! I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. This is a turbo charged 2.5liter. I've been torm been M1 5w-30 and GC 0w-30, but don't won't to pick a favorite since they are both supposed to be great. Would there be any issue if I were to mix them 50/50? Also, I am at 3k miles, so is it too early to make the switch to synth? Thanks.

I would start it off on the GC 0W-30 at 3500 miles. That's the mileage I've switched my last three new vehicles to synthetics & everything is fine with all three. Your turbo may also like the Mobil-1 Truck & SUV or Delvac-1 in 5W-40. What oil viscosity range does your owners manual allow for that Subaru?

I decided to delay the switch over to synthetic on my STi (300hp, 2.5L Turbo) based on a lot of reading on Subaru Impreza forums which suggested that it's better to wait to ensure a complete break-in. I've been running conventional and semi-synthetic oils (2,500 OCI) for the first 10,000 miles. I'm almost to 10,000 miles so I'll be changing over to German Castrol very soon. I personally wouldn't mix GC and M1, there really is no reason to.

Congrats on the LGT, they're great cars!
cheers.gif

Sup msforr,

The manual allows straight 30, 40 and 20W-50 under severe conditions so you can use higher weight oils and satisfy the warranty.

I have significant oil consumption with 5W-30 and 10W-30 Mobil 1, so I would suggest you go with GC alone.

Since I burn oil, I'm doing a compression/leakdown test at my 30k mile service next week and if the numbers are on the high side I'll go with my stash of teh Elves, else if they are on the low side I'll use some good ole dino to see if that helps the rings breakin faster, since I think Subaru engines take longer than usual to fully breakin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back