Nissan: Nice styling.
Mazda: Zoom-zoom.
German cars: German engineering.
Korean cars: Great value.
Mitsubishi: ????????

BTW, sorry if too much stereotyping and not politically correct
grin.gif

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with all your assessments, but anyway. Mitsubishi is a huge multi-industrial company, but just a second tier auto manufacturer (IMO). Also IMO, they hurt their ability to get brand recognition and market share because for too long they sold cars under Chrysler corporate nameplates instead of their own. My parents had a few - two dodges and a Plymouth. Just small commuter cars, very simple and economical. Despite the badges on the cars, the keys were stamped "Mitsubishi".

If they had a vehicle that was appealing to me, personally I'd consider buying. There is a dealer just a few miles away. Problem is they don't have a leader in any segment.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure I agree with all your assessments, but anyway. Mitsubishi is a huge multi-industrial company, but just a second tier auto manufacturer (IMO). Also IMO, they hurt their ability to get brand recognition and market share because for too long they sold cars under Chrysler corporate nameplates instead of their own. My parents had a few - two dodges and a Plymouth. Just small commuter cars, very simple and economical. Despite the badges on the cars, the keys were stamped "Mitsubishi".

If they had a vehicle that was appealing to me, personally I'd consider buying. There is a dealer just a few miles away. Problem is they don't have a leader in any segment.

+1.
01.gif

Mitsubishi is a big Japanese conglomerate but small potatoes in auto realm. None of their cars ever appealed to me even in days of Eclipse popularity. If I buy [censored] its only.Mazda and we..by name here u can tell im quite fond of Ford especially their trucks & CUVs.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Thanks!
I forgot about Subaru: AWD.

What about Land Rover?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4,one of my favorite cars of all time.

Back in the 90's 3000GT VR4 was one of the best GT car, after that Mitsubishi didn't have any car worth owning.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4,one of my favorite cars of all time.

Back in the 90's 3000GT VR4 was one of the best GT car, after that Mitsubishi didn't have any car worth owning.

This is true!! I forgot about this car. It was awesome!

There was a time,after Mitsubishi's reputation for high mileage cars (Colt/Champ) slightly faded,they became the darlings of the younger set.It was seen that Mitsubishis were sportier and "faster" than Corollas,Civics,Excels,Yugos,and Tercels of the day.This was spearheaded by Starion/Conquest,and Laser/Talon/Eclipse,and of course 3000GT/Stealth.Seemingly the excitement filtered down the line to Galant/Mirage/Lancer as well.As these models were dropped,so did their street cred and public image.Rule #1,never discontinue models without replacements.3000GT,Eclipse,Mirage coupe,Galant,Diamante all were dropped with no replacements.Not to mention Mighty Max pickups... And Mitsu never had a US minivan......just sad.

I cannot speak for the USDM, but out here in the Middle East, Mitsubishi vehicles are reliable transportation at an affordable price. Build quality wise, their average car may not exactly be up there with Subaru, but in terms of long term ownership, they take the cake and people buy them for that.

In my own personal experience, having owned quite a few Mitsubishi cars, the Pajero is hands down, the best vehicle they make - especially in terms of build quality when compared to their other products. Not surprisingly, it is also their flagship vehicle. It seems, however, that premium Japanese SUVs do not have much market share in the USDM. By premium, I mean the Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol trio.

Land Rover=Tata Motors=India

Likewise on the topic of imports, Jaguar=Tata Motors=India.

Also Volvo=Geely Auto=China for what it's worth.

Mitsubishi - what you buy when you can't get a loan on anything else. 1st requirement - can you fog a mirror?

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Thanks!
I forgot about Subaru: AWD.

What about Land Rover?

British cars?
I would put them in the same category as French cars or even Swedish cars: you better learn how to fix cars.

Now, Italian cars, like modern Fiat is a totally different story:
cheap and reliable, but not very safe.

I won't argue that for the most part, Mitsubishi has lost its way.

They still make the Evo. It's more or less 3/5ths of a GT-R for roughly 1/3rd the price. Legitimate competitor to the STi. If the price was right, I would buy an Evo, but it runs about $15,000 more than I'm planning on spending.

The Lancer is actually a pretty good little driver. Nice handling car. Cheap too. Same basic engine architecture as Hyundai and Chrysler so it should run for awhile. Don't know why the fuel economy is so poor.
21.gif
Same basic engine in a Hyundai gets better fuel economy.

There was a time that Mitsubishi was a pretty good contender. The Galant was actually a decent driving car and usually cost less than a Camccordtima. Those 1st gen AWD Eclipse/Talons embarrassed a lot of Fox-Box Mustangs and Camarobirds. Even the lowly Mirage. You could usually get a Mirage equipped like a Civic LX for a little more than Hyundai Elantra price. Nowhere near Civic price. It was stylish....especially in 1.8 coupe form.

I think perhaps hit and miss reliability caught up with them. For every 200,000 mile Mitsubishi, it seems like there is an equivalent year model vehicle that started puking out parts at 50,000 miles.

My wife still complains about trading in her 3rd gen Eclipse. I don't get it. The 3rd gen was an unusual looking car to me. My 6 gets better gas mileage, has more horsepower, is quicker, doesn't require premium fuel, handles better, and actually has a back seat that humans can sit in.
We were talking about trading in the PT a couple of weeks ago. She found it difficult to believe that they no longer made the Eclipse. So I guess there is one Mitsubishi buyer for you. But just that one model. Just the Eclipse.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
There was a time,after Mitsubishi's reputation for high mileage cars (Colt/Champ) slightly faded,they became the darlings of the younger set.It was seen that Mitsubishis were sportier and "faster" than Corollas,Civics,Excels,Yugos,and Tercels of the day.This was spearheaded by Starion/Conquest,and Laser/Talon/Eclipse,and of course 3000GT/Stealth.Seemingly the excitement filtered down the line to Galant/Mirage/Lancer as well.As these models were dropped,so did their street cred and public image.Rule #1,never discontinue models without replacements.3000GT,Eclipse,Mirage coupe,Galant,Diamante all were dropped with no replacements.Not to mention Mighty Max pickups... And Mitsu never had a US minivan......just sad.

I agree with everything except the van part. They had a cabover "crackerbox" style van in the '80s

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-o...SAN_ANTONIO_TX/

well, my last 2 cars (hyundai, and dodge) have had Mitsubishi designed engines.(well the neon engine is based on a Mitsubishi design, as is the trans. IIRC the lancer trans from the same time period was a variant of the same design family)

I had an 8th generation Galant as a rental one time, and I REALLY liked that car. I drove it to Atlanta, drove it around Atlanta for a week, and then drove back to North Carolina. Nice little runabout. The one I rented had the 4-cylinder, which I assume was the 4G64 engine. It was a nice little mill.

They seem to be on a steady decline from the mid 90s, and going further down. They don't have any volume or anything that sticks out?

Well, the invented the inverted trapezoid grille styling.

And they sold a lot of engines and transmissions to Hyundai and Chrysler. I was working on an 03 Santa Fe and it had a Mitsubishi engine and transmission!

But, I just see Mitsubishi as an even lower quality Chrysler. Which is pretty bad.

Mazda started to go down that path, but they started turning things around ... quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back