Missing Shingles - Need repair or OK to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't owned a house for that long, and don't remember my parents ever needing roof repair other than when they got it replaced a few years back, so I have zero experience to recall upon.

I have a 3 story town house so it isn't real easy to get up there and check things out, but today when walking the dogs I could see most of the front side of my roof and there is a spot missing maybe 2-3 shingles that I could see. I noticed some of the other neighbors didn't fare so well and are missing larger sections of shingle. I guess 60 mph wind gusts will do that.

Since this house seems to be fairly mediocre as far as build quality in general (it is only 5 years old...I wouldn't recommend Pulte Homes), I've toyed with the idea of having the roof inspected anyway under the idea that I can't see what is up there and would like to catch a problem early.

Regardless of that, can you go without a couple shingles without inviting a problem? Or should it be buttoned up ASAP, 1 or 50? I also have no idea how much a basic roof repair costs. I'm sure it costs extra because of the height of the roof, but I'd like to think an inspection and tacking some shingles back in place shouldn't be that pricey. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Fix it asap. Or water will get under the shingles which will Roy the sheets,then will enter the attic causing damage to the ceilings.
Shingles by design are layered,so if a row is missing you are missing layers.
Fix this small problem now before it becomes a big problem.

Ah, this is what I figured. Anyone know an honest roofer in Virginia suburbs of DC? There is my other concern, I can't see what is up there. He could easily take me for a ride saying there is damage where I can't see.

Last edited:
Call the home owners insurance ASAP. The house two doors up the street from us had shingles blown off in a storm a few years ago. He called his insurance and it was all fixed and paid for by the insurance co. They went out of their way to not do any other damage by going up on the roof.

FYI: even if your shingles did not blow off, but if the wind raised your shingles and they look like a little raised, they need to be redone. call your insurance pls.

First thing I would do is to cut an access hatch from the attic. But I've lived in the same house for 35 yrs and used to be a building maintenance carpenter.
laugh.gif

On the whole the part of the roof I can see looks normal, except for the one small patch of black where the shingles took a hike. I don't think I'll be able to get a good look at the back side as the neighborhood as a whole slopes down going that way. In the front walking the dogs, I am elevated to see the front side.

Regarding the access hatch, I'll leave being on the roof to the pros. I used to get on my parent's roof that was two stories up, but this is another animal. It has a decent pitch to it and being a town house, you'd have to hope to fall off the back to either hit the 2nd floor deck or the patch of grass back there. Out front, your fall is likely to end with the concrete.

To me the only DIY solution for the periodic inspection is to buy one of those R/C "drone" choppers with a camera on it and send it up.

I'll have to read the homeowner's policy about it. If it really only is a few shingles, it can't be worth going through them can it? I was thinking $300 would cover the shingles and inspection, if I could even get someone out here any time soon given the fact I am sure there are "meatier" jobs out there for a roofer right now. Thanks for the advice as always though.

Last edited:
It's too bad I don't live near you. I'd climb up there and fix it. Shingles are easy. Water flows downhill. I build custom homes and multi-unit residential(condos) for a living.
Actually I would send one of my men up while we sipped on coffee. Gotta be a Tim Hortons nearby you somewhere.
Good luck.

No attic access? That's insane. What kind of builder builds a house with no attic access. Here the access has to be 21"x30" finished. And we have to have one everywhere that there is roof. From garage to house and everywhere in
between

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back