Missile Fired Near LAX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is a legitimate mystery or if it has been put under wraps, but take a look at the future problem with air travel (IMHO)...

KYW1060

how many drinks had the pilots had before takeoff?

if it was a real missle, it would show up on airport radar.
I have a few model rockets, carbboard and balsa wood, that stand 4' tall and a foot wide at the fins, and can easily reach a few thousand feet. would definitely scare the crap out of a pilot. but that story has little info, the pilot seeing just a smoke trail shouldn't mean jumping to the conclusion it's some trail from a projectile, which is why the story shouldn't be posted front page or at all on tv, let the feds look into it and take it from there.

I seriously doubt that any of the radar equipment at or in the vicinity of the airport would detect the most likely missile culprit -- a small, shoulder-fired IR (heat seeking) missile (many thousands of which are unaccounted for around the world, btw...). Air Traffic Control "radars" aren't really radars at all, at least not in their primary operating modes. They actually function as "interrogators" that cause the transponder in the aircraft to respond with a data signal, which the system's computer converts into a "blip" on the controller's screen. "Skin paint" mode, the most degraded, semi-functional capability is what you think of as radar, and they're lucky to catch all the airplanes when that degraded, let alone small, fast missiles.

My guess is that it was an idiot with a signal flare or some other such thing. At least I hope it wasn't more.

You can basically sit at the end of the runways - on the beach side - at LAX.

Many of the planes that are taking off aren't very high up at this point, and I think a bottle rocket could definitely reach that high.

Don't worry these rockets are being fired by "Freedom Fighters"
rolleyes.gif
I just wonder if it will take a plane shot down or how many suicide bombers here for the border security to get serious.

quote:

Don't worry these rockets are being fired by "Freedom Fighters" [Roll Eyes] I just wonder if it will take a plane shot down or how many suicide bombers here for the border security to get serious.

Al you got it all wrong. It's those militant Lutherans you've got to watch for.

Yippee,

Now we can let Westinghouse, Loral, Raytheon, start there bidding for SAM counter measure suites to be installed on commercial aircraft
wink.gif

Defence contract puns aside, with the proliferation of SA-7 (NATO "Grail"), and Stinger type shoulder fired weapons anti-aircraft weapons such airliner protections may have there place for risky country airports.

Posted by Robbobster:
quote:

You can basically sit at the end of the runways - on the beach side - at LAX.

Many of the planes that are taking off aren't very high up at this point, and I think a bottle rocket could definitely reach that high.

The pics on this webpage make the point nicely. This is not LAX, but a small Carribean island instead. As you can see, in some places, a bad guy could just use a baseball bat, or throw something at one.

Amazing Approach Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back