Mismarked oil

Quaker State was no real help. They just said to return it to Wal-Mart. He asked for the UPC code. I provided him with that and he said that it is 10W/30. I explained, again, that the front label says 10W/40 and asked “How do we know if the back label isn’t wrong?”. He didn’t have an answer.

My concern is what if this is a widespread problem. Shouldn’t it be corrected?

Return it with a note that it is mislabeled. If you get a chance check the other QS stock for the same thing.

Shell’s response doesn’t sound very good here. If they don’t care about it then why should we care to purchase their oil? Unfortunately, CS is a real hit and miss these days.

That bottle is tampered with. You shouldn't use it.

The front label appears to be removed and attached from another bottle, and the back label appears to be for a used bottle.

Stuff like this is common in the Walmart oil department. People even return used oil and place it on the shelf. Inspect the bottle carefully before you buy, and don't buy it if anything appears suspicious. I've seen people opening oil bottles at Walmart.

Last edited:
If the labels were properly attached, i'd say keep it as a neat collectors item. But since the labels might not be from the factory, i.e. not attached properly, take it back.

I highly doubt anyone would swap lables on a bottle of new oil. What would be the motive?

Besides, doubt those big lables will peel off easily without tearing, stretching or getting damaged or deformed in some way.

I highly doubt anyone would swap lables on a bottle of new oil. What would be the motive?

1656610518531.jpg

Besides, doubt those big lables will peel off easily without tearing, stretching or getting damaged or deformed in some way.
Do they need a motive? They could do it for fun. Do we know that it's new oil? Someone may have put used oil in it.

Do they need a motive? They could do it for fun. Do we know that it's new oil? Someone may have put used oil in it.
I'd bet if someone tried to do a label swap on that oil jug it's not going to be something easily done to make it look like it was never swapped ... especially if it was done in the store. Go out in your garage if you have a similar jug with a stick on label and see how successful you are. I just tried it on a Valvoline 5 qt jug I have and the label literally got destroyed where I could barely get it to come off with a fingernail.

Actually, they open the oil-filter boxes a lot more often than the oil bottles. It gets very annoying. Be very careful when you buy an oil filter from Walmart.
I always open them if they aren't sealed to make sure it looks OK before I buy one. I have seen someone put cheaper ones in a less expensive box, etc.

I always open them if they aren't sealed to make sure it looks OK before I buy one. I have seen someone put cheaper ones in a less expensive box, etc.
I won't even take the time to do that if they shows signs of not being sealed. If people are popping the tops off in the store to look at the oil, then they are unsealing them right there and then.

I won't even take the time to do that if they shows signs of not being sealed. If people are popping the tops off in the store to look at the oil, then they are unsealing them right there and then.
If you read the thread, I was talking about oil filter boxes, not oil bottles. Some boxes are sealed with tape so it is obvious., other aren't.

If you read the thread, I was talking about oil filter boxes, not oil bottles. Some boxes are sealed with tape so it is obvious., other aren't.
Pretty common at my local Walmart. If there is a FRAM Ultra with a disturbed tamper seal, chances are it will have a FRAM PH in it and the Ultra would have been put in the PH box and purchased. Cashiers have no clue (Or they go through the self checkout.)

The reason why many products state that they're not for sale in Mexico or any other location is solely based on copyright ownership. The trademarks and copyrights held by corporations varies from country to country so a product packaged and labeled for sale in the United States of America may not be properly packaged for sale in another country.

It has nothing to do with the actual product but purely related to the legalities of international trade.

Signed: Fowvay, esquire :)

settled? Weren't there 'people' already 'settled' here long before the Europeans came? Sorry to take it off topic.
I guess it depends on someone's definition of a "settlement". A civilized "modernesque" society maybe by the time's standards?

Back