Mismarked oil

I actually need 10W/40 for my application. I have bad valve guides and was using a lot of oil. I changed the oil 5 weeks ago and added a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. No oil usage in 5 weeks.

Perhaps I will exchange it for 20W/50
Is this an old pushrod V8? I would do the two-piece stem seals first. Yes the guides may be slightly worn, but the seals should take care of the oil usage until you do a full - or partial - rebuild.

Easy job if you have an air compressor and an adapter for the spark plug holes. No deep digging in to the motor required - Ken

Is this an old pushrod V8? I would do the two-piece stem seals first. Yes the guides may be slightly worn, but the seals should take care of the oil usage until you do a full - or partial - rebuild.

Easy job if you have an air compressor and an adapter for the spark plug holes. No deep digging in to the motor required - Ken
It’s a 4.3 V6. The stem deals were replaced. Replacing the stem seals, combined with bad valve guides, seemed to worsen the problem; for whatever reason. Prior to replacing the stem seals, the compression was checked and was good. All cylinders checked within the 140-170 range.

The vehicle runs good even though the body is rough. It serves its purpose and I have gotten my money’s worth. 6 years from a $1500 truck is pretty cheap driving.

While I will continue to nurse it along, I won’t dump a ton of money into it. I can continue to dump oil into it or will look into possible cheap fixes. Restore might be my next option.

It’s a 4.3 V6. The stem deals were replaced. Replacing the stem seals, combined with bad valve guides, seemed to worsen the problem; for whatever reason. Prior to replacing the stem seals, the compression was checked and was good. All cylinders checked within the 140-170 range.

The vehicle runs good even though the body is rough. It serves its purpose and I have gotten my money’s worth. 6 years from a $1500 truck is pretty cheap driving.

While I will continue to nurse it along, I won’t dump a ton of money into it. I can continue to dump oil into it or will look into possible cheap fixes. Restore might be my next option.
Restore is designed to fill scratches in the bores with soft metals and is very much a "hail Mary pass", it won't tighten up the guides.

That's quite odd since the stem seals don't affect the compression.

Back