Minivan Research and Recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2013 Sienna XLE with 42k miles. Zero issues but a used one will cost you $20k. 2011 Sienna was the first model year after the re-design. You'll see some first year problems with 2011 but the 2012-14 have very good reliability.

Grand Caravan/T&C - You can get a lot of van for little money but expect issues. Read up on their problems and see if it's something you believe you can "accept".

Odyssey - 2012 was the re-design. Average reliability but $$$$. They drive very nice.

Sedona - See GC/T&C.

Ford Flex - Funky style but a good vehicle. Drives nice but on the pricey side even used.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
Ford Flex - Funky style but a good vehicle. Drives nice but on the pricey side even used.

The fat mayor here has one. Bigger than Boss Hog on Dukes of Hazard. But the vehicle suits him just fine to haul his big, fat butt around.

You will get a much newer and better condition car if you buy a Dodge or Chysler, in your price range. I have two kids under 2 and we bought our used Chrysler T&C when the first kid was born.

It had 29K miles on it, was one owner, dealership maintained, oil changes and tire rotations every 3K miles, fully loaded top of the line $45K van (DVD players, Navigation, leather seats, etc) when new and we got it for $15K. Dodge/Chrysler has terrible residual value from new, so you can get a heck of a car for a great price used. Plan on running it into the ground and the residual/resale value wont matter to you.

Try and get 2012 or newer with the 3.6 engine if you can. The 3.6 came out in 2011 but had some problems the first year. I wanted to buy a 3.6 van, but settled on the older 4.0 since I was getting such a good deal on such a low mileage, well maintained car. Gets 20mpg while the 3.6 gets 24/25 mpg and has a bit more power too.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Loved our 2001 Windstar LX, our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX and love our current 2013 Grand Caravan SE. I prefer basic. No power doors, etc. Like said, $15K might buy you a 5+ year old Honda or Toyota if you can find one you like. I think you'd have more success shopping the Grand Caravan. Go with 2013+. They're really nice for the money.

The 5 year old honda and toyotas and newer around here are asking $20k+ unless they are extremely high mileage.

Chrysler is back on top of that market. With the Pacifica coming out, the traditional Caravan will probably drop in price a little as it slots into the second-tier model role.

Our 2010 Sienna has been pretty good for the last 100k miles. We bought it Certified used with 12k on it in 2010. It was a rental.

We had to replace a valve for VVT-i @100k miles.
Brakes have been done once.
Tires only have been replaced once.
One interior rear door handle (manual) broke.
The radio was replaced under warranty.

That's it for 100k miles of ownership. Ours is the fairly stripped down LE (cloth seats, manual doors). MPGs are fairly good, probably low to mid 20s highway depending on how you drive. The 3.5 in the Sienna is a pretty nice engine. The van has LOTS of torque (the tires squeal pretty often, even with traction control on). Plenty of power, even loaded down. I would say take a look at a Sienna.

Odyssey power doors are much easier to work on than the Toyotas. Odyssey specific car forum has great write ups too.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I thought all the vans had power side doors standard now...?
Not the 2016 base model "American Value Edition" or whatever it's called. I went and looked at one on Tuesday.

You have to be careful with these. A lot of them are used for commercial businesses. I looked at a Carfax on a used one. It had 77,000 miles put on it in just less than a year.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
What about a Ford Flex? It is like a minivan but without being a minivan.
smirk.gif

If you can do the styling it's an awesome vehicle. You can get the 3.5 Ecoboost and surprise a lot of folks!
smile.gif
Almost bought one.

How about the Nissan Quest? Funky but with the venerable VQ...

stay away from Nissan,
Honda or Toyota, don't be afraid to buy one with high miles. you can do a private party for little above trade in, minivans are very sought after by college bound students.

maybe you can lease one for the time being if it is going to be a low use vehicle.

Right now it looks like the target is a 2013-2015 Chrysler T&C with less than 60k on the clock. I think we should be able to get one between $15-18k with some patience.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Right now it looks like the target is a 2013-2015 Chrysler T&C with less than 60k on the clock. I think we should be able to get one between $15-18k with some patience.

As of now, doing a nationwide search on www.autotrader.com there are 898 T&Cs available that meet your criteria.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: badtlc

As of now, doing a nationwide search on www.autotrader.com there are 898 T&Cs available that meet your criteria.
smile.gif

I have a beat on a 2015 with 40k. Wish me luck.

Good luck and if you need any help let me know and I'll wring their neck and bop them on the head for you.
laugh.gif

and I just found out the chrysler has OLM and top side filter access, yay! Oil changes without getting under the van.

I just helped my cousin get a used minivan. She ended up with a 2015 Sienna LE with 40k miles for 22,500. I'd say that's pretty good. I'm actually surprised at how much used Toyota prices have come down. When I shopped for one in 07, the used ones were barely cheaper than new after factory rebates. Her LE with power doors would have retailed at 32k and the remaining new ones on dealer lots are going for about 27k after all rebates. So I think the market has changed.

BTW we looked at Dodges and Chrysler's but the crash test ratings turned us off. If you are buying a van for the kiddos, I'm not sure that is something to compromise on to save a couple of grand, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.

As a devil's advocate, I love power sliding doors on a van. That is the big separator between a van and SUV. In the summer when you can remotely open the sliding doors from a couple hundred feet away and let the interior cool off, that is one of the underappreciated benefits of a van. I'd take the repair risk.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I just helped my cousin get a used minivan. She ended up with a 2015 Sienna LE with 40k miles for 22,500. I'd say that's pretty good. I'm actually surprised at how much used Toyota prices have come down. When I shopped for one in 07, the used ones were barely cheaper than new after factory rebates. Her LE with power doors would have retailed at 32k and the remaining new ones on dealer lots are going for about 27k after all rebates. So I think the market has changed.

BTW we looked at Dodges and Chrysler's but the crash test ratings turned us off. If you are buying a van for the kiddos, I'm not sure that is something to compromise on to save a couple of grand, especially if you plan on keeping it for a while.

As a devil's advocate, I love power sliding doors on a van. That is the big separator between a van and SUV. In the summer when you can remotely open the sliding doors from a couple hundred feet away and let the interior cool off, that is one of the underappreciated benefits of a van. I'd take the repair risk.

THanks for the comments. I hadn't compared safety but it looks like only the Honda comes out ahead and kia #2. The toyota and chrysler have the same front, side and rollover ratings.

Yeah weird. The overall is five star for Toyota and four for the T&c but you are right that the individual categories are the same.

Btw you can get a used 2015 Kia for under 20k. But it is a first year model so you take your chances.

Didn't few people here picked up the brand new Value America (or something like that) Chrysler under $20K? Those might not have been fully loaded but for the price they could not be beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back