Minivan Research and Recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Didn't few people here picked up the brand new Value America (or something like that) Chrysler under $20K? Those might not have been fully loaded but for the price they could not be beat.

Yes. We went and looked at them but the wife decided she could live with 20k+ miles on a fully loaded T&C. Those Dodge VAE editions are bare bones, literally. Wife decided she wanted heated leather seats, power doors, auto climate control, bluetooth, etc. All the dealerships in KC are pricing used 2015 T&C with 20-40k miles under $20k so I can't really tell her no.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Didn't few people here picked up the brand new Value America (or something like that) Chrysler under $20K? Those might not have been fully loaded but for the price they could not be beat.

Yes. We went and looked at them but the wife decided she could live with 20k+ miles on a fully loaded T&C. Those Dodge VAE editions are bare bones, literally. Wife decided she wanted heated leather seats, power doors, auto climate control, bluetooth, etc. All the dealerships in KC are pricing used 2015 T&C with 20-40k miles under $20k so I can't really tell her no.

Not a bad call. Once you start adding options to a basic Grand Caravan, you might as well buy a gently used T&C.

There are some odd-ball America's Value Package deals out there. I considered one back in 2013 when when we bought our SE model. This paricular AVP had the nice U-connect bluetooth head unit. I shied away from it because it didn't have the HD brakes. I could have had that van for around $17K.

Right now it looks like the target is a 2013-2015 Chrysler T&C with less than 60k on the clock. I think we should be able to get one between $15-18k with some patience.

Why go used when for a few grand more you could get a new Grand Caravan or a leftover 2015?

In any case, I wouldn't go older than 2014, that was the year all models got the heavy duty brakes.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Right now it looks like the target is a 2013-2015 Chrysler T&C with less than 60k on the clock. I think we should be able to get one between $15-18k with some patience.

Why go used when for a few grand more you could get a new Grand Caravan or a leftover 2015?

In any case, I wouldn't go older than 2014, that was the year all models got the heavy duty brakes.
With these vans, you get more bang for the buck to get slightly used. Remember, these are American made cars. They don't hold their value like a Toyota or a Honda.

My grandmother picked up a 2014 Grand Caravan SXT last week (pretty much loaded model) for $16,400 with 27k miles. Immaculate condition. MSRP is $28,000

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
With these vans, you get more bang for the buck to get slightly used. Remember, these are American made cars. They don't hold their value like a Toyota or a Honda.

Well, the Odyssey and Sienna are both built here in the US
smile.gif
That said, your point is correct that the Dodge/Chrysler models depreciate faster.

My grandmother picked up a 2014 Grand Caravan SXT last week (pretty much loaded model) for $16,400 with 27k miles. Immaculate condition. MSRP is $28,000

MSRP on any of these things (including an Odyssey or Sienna - our '15 Odyssey EX's MSRP was $33,155, we paid $5,000 under that) are fictional. That van was probably $23k OTD tops.

jeff

Originally Posted By: JTK
I could have had that van for around $17K.

It would be fun to get one, take the seats out, tint the windows and put a mattress back there. Then take naps at lunch time while at work. Plus lots of room to make trips on the weekend to Lowes/HD. Just take the mattress out first.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: greenjp

Well, the Odyssey and Sienna are both built here in the US
smile.gif
That said, your point is correct that the Dodge/Chrysler models depreciate faster.

MSRP on any of these things (including an Odyssey or Sienna - our '15 Odyssey EX's MSRP was $33,155, we paid $5,000 under that) are fictional. That van was probably $23k OTD tops.

jeff
Looking on AutoTrader, they're like $24,500-$26,000 for a new one. $8,000-$10,000 off for having 27k miles sounds like a good deal to me.

We bought a 2014 Grand Caravan SE 30th Anniversary Edition brand new back in 2014 (almost 2 years ago) To date we have almost 35,000 miles on it and not one problem with it so far. I would certainly recommend it to anyone!

Originally Posted By: Shorthorn
We bought a 2014 Grand Caravan SE 30th Anniversary Edition brand new back in 2014 (almost 2 years ago) To date we have almost 35,000 miles on it and not one problem with it so far. I would certainly recommend it to anyone!

Thanks. We are finally dialed in. Looks like we go and get either a 2014 or 2015 Chrysler T&C touring next saturday. I would have jumped on one earlier but wife didn't like white, ugh. Oh well. This dealer has like 15 of these things with between 20k-40k miles of all colors. Surely she can find something she approves of.

The dealership offers a lifetime warranty for their used vehicles so we are pretty happy with the options so far but all reports on the 2014 and newer dodge vans seems to be VERY positive and it seems the transmission is better than the Honda and Toyota options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back