milk substitute for lactose intolerant father

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad is lactose intolerant. He drinks cashew milk and asked if i knew any other healthy alternatives.

Thanks in advance and Happy Saturday:)

Unsweetened vanilla almond milk from Aldi's is what I get for my mom. Around $2 I believe. Also Lactaid has milk but kind of pricey. There's a few other alternatives that are similar but I think they're all around $4 or so. Cheers!

Thanks Matt for the help and info
smile.gif

+1 on Almond milk

For a creamier treat for desserts etc, try coconut milk/cream. It has loads of healthy vegetable fats.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
+1 on Almond milk

For a creamier treat for desserts etc, try coconut milk/cream. It has loads of healthy vegetable fats.

I didnt know this sir. Thanks for info
smile.gif

Store-bought kefir is 99% lactose free. That's what I have with cereal in the morning, but it has a tangy/soury taste which not everyone likes. It would not work as coffee creamer either.
smile.gif

We have been using Silk soy milk products for the last couple of years, and our daughter loves it (she's not lactose intolerant--just has a health-minded grandmother who turned her on to it, that's all):

https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=silk+soy+milk

I think they make some almond milk products as well. They do have "Light" versions so if calories are an issue, you might check that out.

Last edited:
I use coconut milk exclusively and really like it. I have not done well on almonds, and have avoided the almond milk, but that's an individual situation.

You might try your dad on a couple of these to see what he prefers or if he has any allergies to them.

We use the various name brand lactose free milks and some grocery chains have their own house brands. There's also a new product that is milk without the A2 enzyme. That seems to work as well for those in my house that are lactose intolerant. Almond, cashew or coconut milks seem to sit in the fridge at my house until they go bad. To me, they're OK, but it's certainly not milk.

Last edited:
Why doesn't he drink Lactose-free cows milk? Not available where you are? Talk to your grocer ... it's UHT pasteurized, so has a long shelf life and can be shipped from outside your State easily.
Bonus is it lasts much longer than regular milk in the 'fridge. Not sure why, but in my fridge an open carton of LF 10% coffee cream or 2% (for capucchino froth) lasts a month easily. So the extra cost is offset by the fact that it doesn't spoil once opened like regular milk. I've actually never thrown out a carton of LF, and I'm not a "glass of milk" drinker.

And the milk tastes sweeter than cow's milk, even though Lactose is a form of sugar.

Almond milk is perfectly fine, but did you know you can make it at home, and that a quart contains only a few almonds? Google it. No point in paying for it (you're mostly paying for the cost of shipping heavy water content) when it costs less than a buck to make a quart, and it's exactly the same stuff. Exactly.

He can probably also tolerate many cheeses ... as cheese ages, the Lactose dissipates, so if ordinary cheddar doesn't work, he can try aged cheddar instead.

Adam, having a Stella Artois in a 19 ounce can. Very good. Glad I didn't buy two or I'd be consuming them both tonight. Only had a few of them left at the store. Maybe four of them.

My preference for non-dairy milk is Silk Protein Nut Milk (regular, not vanilla). It has a similar consistency and creaminess as that of whole milk, and a nice neutral flavour that is not too sweet.

It also has 10 grams of protein per serving, which is quite a bit more than most other nut-based milks, as well as more calcium than dairy milk.

269749.jpg

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Adam, having a Stella Artois in a 19 ounce can. Very good. Glad I didn't buy two or I'd be consuming them both tonight. Only had a few of them left at the store. Maybe four of them.

Stella bottles are great also
smile.gif

I like Peroni as well. Nice and lite with perfect flavor. Macaroni Grill has it on tap along with another favorite place I go to for happy hour. The only bad part is the bartender keeps giving me free shots of Don Julio that I feel the next day. Sometimes Hornitos which is even worse. Very strong, and about a quarter of the price of Don Julio. That's not even their house tequila either.

Almond Breeze. I hated almond milk at first but now can't drink regular milk without noticing a grumbling tummy, and the almond milk flavor is now preferred.

Lactose-free dairy milk is fine. If you can't buy lactose-free milk, put lactase drops in regular milk to make your own. You can probably get lactase (an enzyme, one commercially available product is Lacteeze) at your local pharmacy and even at our local Walmart.

The reason lactose-free milk tastes sweet is that lactase (which people have in their gut) breaks down lactose (milk sugar, a compound of 2 sugars) into 2 short digestible sugars. So lactose-free milk is "twice as sweet". Children generally have plenty of lactase but many people lose it as they get older. On a world wide basis, lactose intolerance in adults is actually more common than lactose tolerance.

By the way, lactase is a good way to get to use whipping cream as well. If your dad hasn't had real whipped cream in years he'd really enjoy some.

In all cases you have to treat the milk, cream, etc. a day early to give the lactase a chance to work its magic.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I like Peroni as well. Nice and lite with perfect flavor. Macaroni Grill has it on tap along with another favorite place I go to for happy hour. The only bad part is the bartender keeps giving me free shots of Don Julio that I feel the next day. Sometimes Hornitos which is even worse. Very strong, and about a quarter of the price of Don Julio. That's not even their house tequila either.

No tequila for me at all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Almond Breeze. I hated almond milk at first but now can't drink regular milk without noticing a grumbling tummy, and the almond milk flavor is now preferred.

I use walmart brand non sweetened almond milk. Dad is going to try that. He had some of it while staying with me after hand surgery and kinda liked it i think

I'm lactose intolerant. I drink unsweetened, unflavored almond/coconut milk mix. Either by themselves is OK, but for 35 cal/serving, this is the best bang for my buck, taste-wise.

For a healthy breakfast, I blend steel cut oats, flax seeds and chia seeds using a Magic Bullet IQ. I add this and a scoop of Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal to 10 oz of Almond/Coconut milk, and fill the remainder of my shaker with water. I shake and then leave it in the fridge overnight to let everything soften up (and for the chia seeds to expand), and it's absolutely delicious! I'm not a breakfast person, but this stuff is easy to drink, easy to digest, and has TONS of nutrients for the volume.

Side note, and probably TMI: Ever since drinking this stuff in the mornings, I've become a three-poops/day guy, sometimes with SINGLE wipes, which, as we all know, is the wiping equivalent to finding Amsoil SSO on-sale for $1/quart!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Store-bought kefir is 99% lactose free. That's what I have with cereal in the morning, but it has a tangy/soury taste which not everyone likes. It would not work as coffee creamer either.
smile.gif

This stuff works really well. I still get the farts if I have too much, but 4 oz/day makes for a tasty little treat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back