Boba Tea?

The place we tried, their unsweetened teas were outstanding. I can see my wife going there and getting tea without the bubbles.

I only found out about these because they talk about them on Hot Rod Garage. If not for that, I'd still have no idea.

It was popular when I was a teen in the Asian scene. All the FOBs and international students would hang out there drinking this for fun. It became less popular in the mid 2000s and then in the last 5-7 years became popular again as an international / US thing and now cool again among young people who are not FOBs or international.

There’s a few different types of boba as well.

The term Boba was supposed to mean champion of balls (not the testicles but women's breasts). It was original a term invented to describe a certain adult movie star who had ridiculous implant before it was mainstream (the equivalent of Dolly Parton in dimension on a tiny Asian lady). Someone decided that it would help sell this new drink with this name. Now only middle aged Asian men would know what Boba meant before it became a drink.

The only thing I know about Boba is that they mention it in a later episode of Agents of Shield.

Or the OG Fett...

I've only had one once and it was very good, but my understanding is that they're all extremely high in calories and sugar, which is the opposite to what I do these days. My kid is obsessed with the idea of them, but every time I offer to take her out to try one she turns it down.

It was popular when I was a teen in the Asian scene. All the FOBs and international students would hang out there drinking this for fun. It became less popular in the mid 2000s and then in the last 5-7 years became popular again as an international / US thing and now cool again among young people who are not FOBs or international.

The term Boba was supposed to mean champion of balls (not the testicles but women's breasts). It was original a term invented to describe a certain adult movie star who had ridiculous implant before it was mainstream (the equivalent of Dolly Parton in dimension on a tiny Asian lady). Someone decided that it would help sell this new drink with this name. Now only middle aged Asian men would know what Boba meant before it became a drink.

I'm so pleased to see that FOB is no longer considered a derogatory slur.

By now it's been adopted all over Asia and expat Asian communities around the world. But not just boba (which is optional) but places that serve stuff like Hong Kong style milk tea and various styles of Japanese

I think the biggest chain in the US that serves those kind of drinks (which don't necessarily include tapioca pearls) is Quickly (from Taiwan). There was some controversy a few years ago because of a San Francisco Supervisor who apparently tried to solicit a bribe to grease the skids for someone who wanted a business permit to operate a Quickly location, but then this guy went to the FBI. The guy thought that he might help him as a normal constituent service.

Jew was convicted on federal bribery charges of trying to extort 80,000 from the owners of Quickly tapioca drink shops who had permit problems with the city.

Security video in Jew's Chinatown flower shop captured him accepting a bribe -- $40,000 in cash.

He didn't realize the money man was working for the FBI.

I mentioned the sealed cups. I remember visiting an Asian country back in 2008 where I saw one employee at a restaurant just collecting all the excess material after the sealing machine had cut it off.

Automatic-Bubble-Tea-Cup-Sealing-Machine-Introduction.jpg

I remember that incident. Ed Jew asked Leland Yee about this and Leland Yee reported him to FBI, then later Leland Yee was caught doing the same thing. If I understand correctly this is sort of a Triad style racketeering, and Leland was a pseudo mob boss in Chinatown.

Quickly was one of the more famous franchise but definitely not the only one nor the "best" if there is any. These days they are all pretty much commodity and everyone can open one without a franchise.

And they're all over the place in Berkeley - probably because it's popular with all the Asian and Asian-American students.
When they are selling for $6 a cup and only takes 3 mins per cup to make, the profit margin is much higher than opening a mom and pop Asian restaurant selling fried rice at $15-20 per plate.

I DVR all sorts of shows and watch them when the is bad.
Hot Rod Garage is one of my favorites. Lucky Costa and Alex Taylor crack me up. Anyway, Alex turned Lucky on to a drink called Boba. He liked it so now every time they need to test a car, they take a Boba break. I was curious about it and asked my wife if she knew what it was. She had no idea. We looked it up and it’s tea or juice with these balls made from tapioca starch that you drink up and they pop in your mouth. We found a place ten minutes away that was rated five stars so we took a ride and gave it a shot.
We tried orange tea and strawberry tea. Both were fantastic. I’m looking forward to trying a coffee drink with brown sugar bobas in it.
Anyone else tried this?
Lucky on Hot Rod Garage cracks me up the way he goes on about it.
Can you list the detailed Ingredients listing for boba tea?

When they are selling for $6 a cup and only takes 3 mins per cup to make, the profit margin is much higher than opening a mom and pop Asian restaurant selling fried rice at $15-20 per plate.

I remember a place (a Chiense restaurant) that had specials on beverages. It might have been $1.25 for fresh watermelon juice with or without tapioca pearls.

I've only had one once and it was very good, but my understanding is that they're all extremely high in calories and sugar, which is the opposite to what I do these days. My kid is obsessed with the idea of them, but every time I offer to take her out to try one she turns it down.

The tapioca pearls can go into almost any beverage, including unsweetened tea or unsweetened ice coffee.

The tapioca pearls can go into almost any beverage, including unsweetened tea or unsweetened ice coffee.
Yeah that makes sense. I don't remember asking for anything in particular, just ordered whatever sounded good at the time on the menu. There aren't too many Boba places around here and the last time I had one was in St. Paul.

Yeah that makes sense. I don't remember asking for anything in particular, just ordered whatever sounded good at the time on the menu. There aren't too many Boba places around here and the last time I had one was in St. Paul.

They can be dropped in any liquid, and most places I see they charge extra for the pearls. They might boring though in something like iced Earl Grey tea.

We went back today. My wife again got unsweetened iced tea. I got a coffee drink with the brown sugar bubbles. While it was good, I prefer the iced tea. I’ve never been into those Starbucks type drinks.
Thing I had probably had a thousand calories. Drinking water now.

Back