Microgard Select Virgin Oil Filter Cut Open & Inspection

I'll start by saying I'm not a person who's influenced by "influencers" or people with YouTube channels. I always make my own decision based upon experience, evidence, and critical analysis (where possible). That said, I do tend to prefer the oil filter cut open and examination videos by the channel in the video below. The reason for that is that they do not color their observations with personal bias and commentary is strictly based upon their findings.

I've been going down the rabbit hole on oil filters as of late, planning ahead which unit I'm installing on my vehicle, which has a Baxter oil filter adapter, which leaves me limited options. I think we all know that the degree to which we choose to analyze filters is sort of a hobby and these days, most filters and oil will, at a minimum, keep an engine running as long as proper OCIs are observed...usually. Anyway, I've been looking at the recent changes occurring with the Fram Ultras (and them monetizing some of the features in the Titanium for about 50% added cost), the consolidation of Wix and Purolator under M&H, and even seeing that the M1-212A I overpaid for isn't necessarily that great. I decided to take my search in a different direction and found out about the relatively new Microgard Select, and find it a potentially intriguing option in my search. If you have the time, take a look and offer me your own insights based upon the facts and your own experiences (there is already a thread about it that doesn't go into much detail here.)

Bonus question: what filters out there still feature mesh reinforcement (plastic or metal) of the filtration media; or simply, who has the best media, since there's a lot of parity with construction methods and materials?

That is a nice looking filter. I'm always amazed how these Asian made filters have such nice even pleats compared to some of our 'domestic' brands. It does seem that Mann Hummel is more concerned about profits than performance...but I guess that's typical.

PS: $9.50 is a lot for that filter...$5 would be more appropriate IMO.

That is a nice looking filter. I'm always amazed how these Asian made filters have such nice even pleats compared to some of our 'domestic' brands. It does seem that Mann Hummel is more concerned about profits than performance...but I guess that's typical.

You're not wrong about the price. But these days it seems $10 is the new $5. Although I can get regular WIX filters for $5 from a local shop supplier.

I was expecting a member to have done this, not a random video.

I will take a Champ XL instead.

Bonus question: what filters out there still feature mesh reinforcement (plastic or metal) of the filtration media; or simply, who has the best media, since there's a lot of parity with construction methods and materials?
What's your definition of "best" media - just the construction? Efficiency, capacity, flow vs delta-p ... all of these? Many factors can be involved.

Since I have a relatively low mileage OCI spread out over a year (4-5k miles), I think a synthetic blend media filter stated for 10,000 miles would fit the bill. Hoping for decent efficiency down to 20 microns, a reliable bypass...and non-tearing media would be nice 😅.

After a lot of searching, , I'm potentially considering the new Purolator One (blue) or a regular WIX, although I don't really trust the changes made by M&H. That's why I was broadening my search to thos unit, although I'll look into other suggestions made too.

Excellent and spot-on post pbm!(y) Somewhere deep in the archives here there is a cut and dissect of a made in Japan Nissan oem filter from my 300ZX. It's the most perfect and beautiful filter I've ever seen. Heavy and built like a tank!! I wish I could source a locally available Japanese filter for my Accord.

Looks like O'Reilly has the Microgard for my Accord, $9. I may drive over there to see if it's Asian made, and if it is, I'll grab one since I have about 200 miles to go till my next oil change, w/Castrol Edge black bottle 5W30. Looks like my best bet out of all the filter offerings:

Microgard Select-$9
Fram TG-$8
M1-$12
Honda oem-$12

Looks like O'Reilly has the Microgard for my Accord, $9. I may drive over there to see if it's Asian made, and if it is, I'll grab one since I have about 200 miles to go till my next oil change, w/Castrol Edge black bottle 5W30. Looks like my best bet out of all the filter offerings:

Microgard Select-$9
Fram TG-$8
M1-$12
Honda oem-$12
If you do, maybe take some pictures and give us your impressions. I wish there was more indepth information available on the efficiency of this filter, though.

Edit: looks like these are 99% efficient at 25 microns, per Premium Guard's website.

Last edited:

Microgard Select-$9
Fram TG-$8
M1-$12
Honda oem-$12

What’s wrong with a regular WIX?

If you do, maybe take some pictures and give us your impressions. I wish there was more indepth information available on the efficiency of this filter, though.

Edit: looks like these are 99% efficient at 25 microns, per Premium Guard's website.
Looking at it on O'Reilly's site, it looks like it has the same gasket as the Honda oem, kind've a recessed gasket like my Nissan oem filter.

And? Are you after more bangs for your Washington’s or overall quality and efficiency? 🤨🤔
Well, the Wix doesn't look too spectacular imo for the price. It has louvers, and years back there were some posts where the louvers were completely closed, and I guess that's freaked me out ever since.

Anyone here remember that old thread?

That's a nicley constructed filter, and not bad at 99% @ 25 microns efficiency. Price is up there pretty good, so it better be decent for that price. I'd use it based on what I see.
👍 Appreciate hearing your input on that. I think Purolator One blue and WIX both get 99% at 20 microns, but I'm not sure how much meaningful difference that really equates to. It's just kind of hard to turn my nose up at that construction.

The thing that surprised me the most was the media. Looked pretty substantial to my layman's eye.

Last edited:
Back