Michelin Super Sport and PS2 - terrible traction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I switched from my winter Dunlops Wintersports to the summer tires. I take used Michelins from my friend. I put 245/45/18 Michelin Super Sport in the front and 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in the rear. I have one conclusion: TERRIBLE TRACTION! Have you ever noticed something simillar with Michelins? When the tires are cold there is almost no traction at all. Pushing gas pedal to the 3/4 position is like dancing on ice. I must admitt when the tires are very very hot the traction is better, especially cornerning. I can do quite sharp cornerns doing 170km/h but starting and braking is the complete disaster. Hard braking turns ABS on. Is it normal for them?

The Michelins seems to be very solid and hard to band on the corners. On the other hand it causes terrible slides when I am pushing gas pedal on the corner. It drives me completely furious because for example I want to accelerate rapidly when I the tires are not hot or the weather is colder and I simply can't. Traction control turns on but I am still sliding from the right to the left.

I consider switching to Conti ContactSport 2 with N0 homologation. I am thinking also about Falken Azenis. I looking for the sticky soft tires. The car has 500HP with rear wheel drive so i think I need the traction like oxygen to live:)

Later I can add the video showing what is going on.

Last edited:
What you are describing is summer tires in general. On cold mornings, my SC has the same problem. Once the temp gets above 55 or so it's not a problem, but cold rain is the worst. If you are experiencing problems at above that temp... then that's pretty bad for a normal car. If so, those tires should be confined to non-daily driven vehicles.

Believe me, it isn't normal:) I am not talking about 55 outside. It must be 68 or more and 15 minutes of fast driving to reach just quite satysfying traction. Even if there is hot enough the traction on the rear isn't sufficent still. I am just wondering what about 1000hp. How it is possible to even start.

Last edited:
On one of my cars I had PS2's and currently have Super Sports on the same car and I love them. I only drive the car when its nice out and only open it up a little after its been fully warm up.The tires have given me no issue what so ever. Currently have a 255/295 tire set up and I really have no traction issues at all with them. My guess is yours are worn out. Why are you so hard on the throttle while the car is cold? By the time my car warms up so are the tires.

Originally Posted By: MercedesAMG_Pola
Front tires are from 2012 and the rear is 2009

there you go. that's a likely answer

5 year old rubber is going to be aged and not perform like new.

Originally Posted By: Rand
5 year old rubber is going to be aged and not perform like new.

Yup. That's certainly a possibility. Soft summer rubber can harden over time and not be as sticky anymore.

If the tire is one of the energy saving (batter gas millage) series it will have to much silicon and not stick to the road well. Try them in rain and be prepared to slide through intersections even though you tried to get the vehicle to stop.

Last edited:
A friend of mine used to put the Pilot Sports on his Highly tuned [censored] import Impreza WRX...the car was amazing when he got it and it had junk tires, he put the Michys on and we could not get over how amazingly that thing would go sideways and anyway SO controllably and smoothly. Everything that the car could do was so much better, predictable, safe...you name it....and my buddy knew how to drive it!..

I put 245/45/18 Michelin Super Sport in the front and 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 2 in the rear.

Judging from this and the dates you mentioned, it sounds like you just picked up whatever tires you could. Fair enough, but don't expect optimal results.

That's especially true when you have the older, worse tire on the back. It shouldn't be a surprise that you're getting slides.

My friend has an E46 M3 that is putting out something like 360 horsepower, and he can slide all day on brand new 275-section track tires. You have 500 horsepower with 265-section street tires that are also old and outdated...

I consider switching to Conti ContactSport 2 with N0 homologation. I am thinking also about Falken Azenis. I looking for the sticky soft tires. The car has 500HP with rear wheel drive so i think I need the traction like oxygen to live:)

Both of those are worse tires. The Azenis might be grippier when REALLY hot, but it'll be even worse when cold, require more temp to work, and ride terribly.

What you need is a brand new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pilot Sport Cups all around, ideally wider than stock.

My Pilot Super Sports offer amazing traction.

I had some Goodyear Supercar tires on a 'Vette a few years ago that were absolutely scary at their limits.

d00df00d, believe me it was my choice. The 245 and 265 is the factory set. The oem tires for this car are ps2. I made some research and I found out that this combination is the best one. I can't buy sport cups in Poland. I have another pair of 245/45/18 super sports. I can try them as rear tires just to check. However, one of them has been repaired once so I am not confident about it.

So you've got USED...MISMATCHED...DISSIMILAR tires on the car and are complaining that they don't work?

Based on your previous posts you drive fast...And you're asking for advice on an oil-related forum?

WOW!!!??

I have had excellent results with the PS/2 and now the Super sports on wet and dry, not cold roads.

I have yet to find a tire at any price that is better on my wheel size.

When it is cold out, they are scary.

Rubber compound got hard and the stickiness and handling went to [censored]. What do you expect from used and 5 year old tires. They are old and tired. I have had tires do the same thing. But my new tires are much better and hold the pavement much better.

Originally Posted By: LotI
So you've got USED...MISMATCHED...DISSIMILAR tires on the car and are complaining that they don't work?

Based on your previous posts you drive fast...And you're asking for advice on an oil-related forum?

WOW!!!??

Exactly. This thread is ridiculous.

By the way, my RWD M3 (not quite 500hp, but not too far off) has Pilot Super Sport in almost identical sizes and it has no problem putting the power down on the track or street.

Another vote for tyres that ate old and perhaps habe not been stored in the best of conditions.

I have never had an issue with traction with high end Michelin tyres.

Having had many sets of tires across the life of my car I LOVE my PSS tires.

They are quieter, smoother riding, and unbelievably sticky. Drive well clear down into the 40's, but it really doesn't get cold here like the frozen North.

I've had Goodyears, Hankooks, Toyos, Pirelli, you name it. And these came with a 30k mile treadwear warranty!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: LotI

WOW!!!??

Exactly. This thread is ridiculous.

By the way, my RWD M3 (not quite 500hp, but not too far off) has Pilot Super Sport in almost identical sizes and it has no problem putting the power down on the track or street.

Nailed it! ^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back