Michelin recalls tires sold in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/732058/michelin-recalls-377-crossclimate-tires

Michelin North America (Canada) Inc. is recalling 377 Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires that were sold in Canada beginning on Sept. 25, 2018.

The subject tires do not bear the requisite sidewall markings for maximum load, maximum pressure and ply description. No accidents or injuries have been reported to Michelin as a consequence of the non-compliant markings.

Consumers in Canada can find more information about this action available here in English or French. U.S. consumers can find more information about this action available here.

The Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires subject to this recall were sold in one size only: 235/55R18 104V XL (showing date codes 1818 or 1918). They were sold as replacement tires for SUVs, CUVs or minivans.

Consumers who may have purchased these tires from a dealer in Canada are eligible to receive replacement tires at no additional charge through authorized Michelin dealers. Claims must be filed before May 31, 2019.

Consumers seeking more information should call 888.971.3801. Michelin-authorized dealers should contact 877.724.2835 for more information about servicing consumer claims.

That's really weird!!! One would think Michelin would know how to mark their tires.
Pretty funny that exactly 377 tires are affected!

I did notice that CR was pretty enthusiastic about at least one flavor of CrossClimate in their last tire review, I was encouraging my wife to try them but don't think their availability is high yet.

If I had 18's I'd want some used one's off Michelin. Wonder if they are going to go out the back door to friends of the mechanics who are going to dismount them. Legally, they can't be re-sold I suppose.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If I had 18's I'd want some used one's off Michelin. Wonder if they are going to go out the back door to friends of the mechanics who are going to dismount them. Legally, they can't be re-sold I suppose.
laugh.gif

The beads would be cut by Michelin, and then recycled.
They will want them all back from dealers for this recall.
And they will be tracking everything.

Last edited:
That is about a $50k mistake on the tires themselves, and probably another $50-100k on the collection effort. If Michelin has a good process to return tires, then its not that big of a mistake given the size of the company.

What probably happened is that the mold wasn't completely labeled during development of the tire. That was OK for internal testing.

But someone forgot to get the mold completed before putting it into production - for 377 cycles - best guess, that's about 10 days. Chances are the tires never reached the consumer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back