Michelin Defender2 vs CrossClimate2

I am trying to pick between these two tires. Price is pretty much identical. Also, I have a separate set for winters only, so I will run these tires the rest of the year.

I think the defender is good for 70,000 miles. I ran these on my Honda and they wore very well and I bought them again. I am going to buy them for my Ford F-150 and Jeep soon. I really like the defender's and have never owned the CrossClimate's. I think there is currently a rebate on Michelin's right now too.

Pick the tire with greater tread depth :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, both are supposed to be great tires. I always choose the Defender, as I simply like them. I don't do much driving in the snow. The CrossClimate is more of a snow tire.

I've had the previous Defenders and now have CC2's. The CC2's have good snow traction, and the Defenders were a bit quieter. Don't know anything about Defender2's though, I'll have to check them out.

Because they have a longer reported tread life and are quieter. if you don't need winter traction with both sets, there is no need to get the Cross Climates.
Thanks. Is that true for Defender2 though?

No. It is true for your winter tires and CC/CC2.
Why do you want two sets of winter capable tires?

Krzyś

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

The main purpose of the CC2 (and other tires like it) is to use one set of tires year-round, especially when snow is a consideration, when you can't afford winter tires or be able to store them, etc.

Since you already have separate winter tires, you don't need that.

If available in your size, I'd suggest the Primacy 4 (or the earlier Primacy 3) for your summer tires.

Reactions: FZ1
I live in Ontario, we get a couple of months of warm weather; it's too warm for winter set or too cold for summer. So I assume summers will wear our a lot faster.

I live in Ontario, we get a couple of months of warm weather; it's too warm for winter set or too cold for summer. So I assume summers will wear our a lot faster.

How many km do you drive in a year? What is your tire size? :unsure:

All tires, especially Michelin, will dry rot after 6 years. So if you don't do much driving, you don't need the longest-lasting tire, so in that case, get the best performing tire that will last as many km as you drive within 6 years. And remember, since you use separate winter tires, that also extends the life of your other set.

Summer tires are good over 40F/5C. How often is it warmer than that?

What other factors matter to you in a tire? Handling, ride, noise?

The UTQG ratings are B/A for the CC2, and B/B for the Defender2, which some people may find off-putting.

Is the Pilot Sport AS4 available in your size?

Does it have to be Michelin? There may be other all-season grand touring tires for you.

Defender2 appears to be a good, long-life dry climate tire. Wet traction appears to be very lacking, at least according to TireRack's testing.
That's what I have read too, which is why I'm leaning towards CC2

2019 Toyota rav4
Just on the road? No light off-road? Gravel?
If you are just on the road, since you already have snow tires, I would go with something more all-season oriented like Primacy, Continental DWS06 etc. Tires like that will provide better wet performance, handling etc.

How many km do you drive in a year? What is your tire size? :unsure:

All tires, especially Michelin, will dry rot after 6 years. So if you don't do much driving, you don't need the longest-lasting tire, so in that case, get the best performing tire that will last as many km as you drive within 6 years. And remember, since you use separate winter tires, that also extends the life of your other set.

Summer tires are good over 40F/5C. How often is it warmer than that?

What other factors matter to you in a tire? Handling, ride, noise?

The UTQG ratings are B/A for the CC2, and B/B for the Defender2, which some people may find off-putting.

Is the Pilot Sport AS4 available in your size?

Does it have to be Michelin? There may be other all-season grand touring tires for you.
In Ontario it is probably 10 years, not 6.
It is not Arizona.
;-)

Krzyś

PS Probably longer if car spends time in garage and not basked in UV light all days long.

Back