Michelin Defender2 vs CrossClimate2

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

The main purpose of the CC2 (and other tires like it) is to use one set of tires year-round, especially when snow is a consideration, when you can't afford winter tires or be able to store them, etc.

Since you already have separate winter tires, you don't need that.

If available in your size, I'd suggest the Primacy 4 (or the earlier Primacy 3) for your summer tires.
This^^^^^^^^^^^, but, If the CC worked, in snow, you would not have to mess with changing the tires out. .02

great thread....
Same question for me, 2012 Altima FWD sedan.
Just bought a set of Altimax winter tires (located in upstate NY).
Generally I run all season in the winter their first year, then switch over to winter tires in winter (wife's car).

A consideration between the two is that most report the CC2 cost them about 2 MPG.

Over the course of 50-60K this amount can be a considerable expense, in my case of a vehicle that gets 25 going down to 23 is almost enough to pay for a new set of tires.

One may feel the performance difference is worth it, others no way.

A consideration between the two is that most report the CC2 cost them about 2 MPG.

Over the course of 50-60K this amount can be a considerable expense, in my case of a vehicle that gets 25 going down to 23 is almost enough to pay for a new set of tires.

One may feel the performance difference is worth it, others no way.
Agreed. It appears to be a 10-15% reduction in dry/wet stopping distances, which is noteworthy:

I think it depends on one's driving style. If one drives very conservatively and primarily drives in lower-speed, flat terrain - it may not be worth it?

the defender 2s are the same as the old defenders exept the siping is supposedly better and the compound changed a little bit. if you can find some LT defenders in the same size as your car tires i would get those, they last longer.

Drove through heavy rain a few days ago, with standing water in the worn tire ‘lanes’ on the highway. The CC2’s are amazing in those conditions, as well as winter slush.
50k km’s on them so far on the ‘07 Accord. They were very quiet when new, but are getting a bit noisy now. Maybe wouldn’t notice the increase in road noise in a quieter car.

The main selling point of CC2 is winter performance.

If you already have winter tires I don't see a reason to get CC2.

Ok, it beat Tesla OE tires. That doesn't mean its better than every All Season tire.

EV tires are likely made with very hard compound to maximize range.

Last edited:
I had the org. defenders and they were 90k warranty iirc.
They lasted ~20k miles(worn 3/32 and 4/32) on the 2010 accent.. the same accent that had michelin xice2's last 30k+ miles.

Maybe they fixed them but they certainly weren't a shining star in michelin's lineup. The CC2's are proven an above average tire.

Both of these tires are all seasons tires.

Check Tire Rack and compare the specs and get what pertains to you most.

Last edited:
No the CC 2 has a "A 3-peak mountain snowflake rating indicates that the tire is approved by the Rubber Manufacturer's Association as meeting the minimum requirements for performance in severe snow conditions."

I had the dealer put on a set of CC2's last year when we bought the Highlander. Just over a year later and almost 17K KM and through one winter, I am very impressed with the CC2's. I was a little nervous when the snow started to fly, but the CC2's did a fantastic job all winter in any and all conditions. Granted the Highlander is AWD but still steering and braking control in the white stuff was excellent. It will be interesting to see as they age if their winter capability diminishes at all.

I've only had the CC2's on the Highlander so can't compare noise or MPG's. I don't notice any excessive noise, nor do I notice any excessive fuel consumption.

I have Defenders on the 240 wagon 195/60R15 and on the sedan 185/70R14. Both sets have over 50,000 miles.

I haven’t installed a better tire, yet.

Back