Michelin 1st, Bridgestone 6th, Continental 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In its recently released Replacement Tire Buyer Dynamics and Satisfaction Study, AutoPacific surveyed over 25,000 vehicle owners who bought replacement tires over the past twelve months. ....."

"Michelin is the most satisfying tire brand for the second year in a row, according to AutoPacific’s Replacement Tire Buyer Dynamics and Satisfaction Study, followed by Pirelli, Goodyear, Nitto and BF Goodrich........."

http://www.autos.ca/general-news/michelin-tops-customer-satisfaction-survey/

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I was surprised to see Nitto in 5th place. I have never paid much attention to the brand.

The Nitto "Invo" has a wild looking tread pattern, for a luxury grand touring tire:
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/invo

I was suprised to see Nitto doing better than Toyo, which the two share the same parent company, same as Falken & Sumitomo.

We bought some Fisk tires which are a subsidiary of Michelin, and they are amazing tires for the $55 we paid.

Road noise, handling, wet/dry and we have 40k on them and they are wearing very well.

Originally Posted By: mason1125
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I was surprised to see Nitto in 5th place. I have never paid much attention to the brand.

The Nitto "Invo" has a wild looking tread pattern, for a luxury grand touring tire:
http://www.nittotire.com/Tire/invo

I was suprised to see Nitto doing better than Toyo, which the two share the same parent company, same as Falken & Sumitomo.

They are all owned by Ohtsu tire? Wasnt aware that they are all the same company.

Consumer Reports has given some Sumitomo tires high marks in their tire tests, but in this survey they rank 3rd from last.

Not a real big score difference between top and bottom. I did not really read how they came up with the numbers though

Isn't Fisk just an old brand name that is used by Discount Tire on some private label tires made for them? Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal is a U. S. maker of private label tires (as are Goodyear/Kelly and Cooper).

Ohtsu, Sumitomo, and Falken are linked.
Toyo and Nitto are linked.
I don't think there is a link between Toyo and Ohtsu et al.

I put very little stock in these types of surveys. This one is based totally on customer perception, not actual performance. People who overpay for big brand tires will tend to show more "satisfaction" with their purchase as a way of justifying the additional expense.

Like people who buy and swear by those expensive Dyson vacuums, even though real-world testing shows they are average or below.

Some people who buy Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone are much the same way. They assume paying more means they got a better tire. That might be what they think, but it is not always the case.

Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
I have nothing put praise for Michelin tires.. You get what you pay for.... I like the lines that They are as good as a Michelin.... well in that case I will just buy the Michelin. Over the years Michelin tires have cured problems that I was told was normal for the car or thats the way they all ride... Many of Goodyear and Firestone tires over the years have been replaced with Michelin curing ride issues with cars that I have purchased since 1968... Plus they will balance up great with very little weights needed on the wheel...and they seem to stay balanced for very long periods of time..

Bad mouth Dyson all you want, we use them in a business and have LOVED them ever since we bought our first in around 05! They simply out last anything, including expensive commercial designs. Nine in our company now and that old original one is still used every day!
Dysons really DO suck! That's a good thing.

And back OT, no one 'assumes' anything here about Michelins. They flat out wear ANY OTHER TIRE on our fleet trucks (LTXMS2's in load range E). And not by any small margin. How about triple the life of bridgestone? Plus they will save your life in bad weather.

They are so much better that they are in a class by themselves. I'm almost positive that all Michelins don't perform like this or the other companies would die out.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I have nothing put praise for Michelin tires.. .......and they seem to stay balanced for very long periods of time..

That has been my experience with Michelin also. OTOH most of the Bridgestones I have owned required frequent balancing.

I tend to agree about Michelins. You get what you pay for.

They are usually our first choice, and if the price factor is not insane, will get the buy. Very consistent quality across all the ones we've dealt with. But they are never inexpensive.

But we have had some very good B-Stones, Contis, Generals and Pirellis along the way. We're running several sets of some of these right now, and they're good tires, too. The RE970 is a terrific performance tire. Haven't run BFGs in a long while, but the last set owed us nothing.

I don't have very good things to say about GY, though.

It is interesting to see how different members of the same tire family are positioned on the list. Michelin and their BFGoodrich and Uniroyal are all pretty close to the top. Goodyear is high, and their Dunlop and Kelly are down. Continental and their General are not far apart, both low. Bridgestone and Firestone tie up high.

I still wonder with Michelin if feel like I bought the most expensive so they must be the best I can possibly get. They make decent-great tires but not sure worth the premium attached.

Well, every time I've put tires on the family fleet I usually try to get Michelin. I've tried Contis and I'm convinced Conti bike tires are usually better than their car counterparts. Right now, I can't wait to chuck a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS I have on my car, I'm looking at Michelin Primacy MXV4s for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back