Replacing the Dry Cracked Michelins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: HangFire
I personally won't buy Firestone even though I know the source of their problems was shut down (the Decatur IL plant).

The problem extended beyond Decatur... but Decatur made for a nice scapegoat.

Tell me more!

I know Decatur definitely had problems, besides labor issues they had a faulty rubber process unique to that plant, that was heavily implacated in blowouts ranging from the Firestone 500 to the Explorer debacle. But I don't know much about their other plants.

There were whole reports written on the subject.

Firestone Tire Failure Analysis

NHTSA Engineering Analysis Report

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them here. I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
Nevermind the brand. It's just a matter of naming. Every tire depreciates and its life span totally depends on how it is being used. Pressure always play a great part in keeping our tire great. Using my Mountaincrest Digital Tire Gauge, I usually make sure that my tire pressure is set in adequate but not too much amounts.

Well we finally did it. Replaced the dry cracked Michelins on my grandma's Trailblazer. They were a little over 3 years old and had 12,000 miles on them. Discount Tire said the cracking was normal, but after I found a deep crack they replaced 1 tire under the road hazard warranty (despite being past 3 years) and prorated the tires. Starting tread was 11/32 and they had 9/32 in the end. They road smooth and quiet but I still didn't like them being so cracked, especially being my grandmothers car and when I use the car for towing or long highway trips. Total out the door for 4 new Continental CrossContact LX20's was $346. Haven't taken them on the highway yet but they were very smooth and quiet over the rough roads of Phoenix, smoother than the Michelins.

Cracked Michelin on top, new Continentals on bottom. (Dirty from driving through the alley)

302c1dw.jpg

243np81.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well we finally did it. Replaced the dry cracked Michelins on my grandma's Trailblazer. They were a little over 3 years old and had 12,000 miles on them. Discount Tire said the cracking was normal, but after I found a deep crack they replaced 1 tire under the road hazard warranty (despite being past 3 years) and prorated the tires. Starting tread was 11/32 and they had 9/32 in the end. They road smooth and quiet but I still didn't like them being so cracked, especially being my grandmothers car and when I use the car for towing or long highway trips. Total out the door for 4 new Continental CrossContact LX20's was $346. Haven't taken them on the highway yet but they were very smooth and quiet over the rough roads of Phoenix, smoother than the Michelins.

Cracked Michelin on top, new Continentals on bottom. (Dirty from driving through the alley)

302c1dw.jpg

243np81.jpg

A couple of comments.

First, your grandmother's car was only averaging 4,000 miles a year. The AO's (anti-oxidants) in the rubber get used up and need to be replaced by fresh AO's deep in the rubber - and flexing a tire brings them to the surface. That coupled with being in AZ are probably the reason those cracked so quickly.

On the new tires, 2 things jumped out at me. 1) The mold parting line is still quite crisp. 2) The white powdery stuff in the grooves is the waxes coming out.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

A couple of comments.

First, your grandmother's car was only averaging 4,000 miles a year. The AO's (anti-oxidants) in the rubber get used up and need to be replaced by fresh AO's deep in the rubber - and flexing a tire brings them to the surface. That coupled with being in AZ are probably the reason those cracked so quickly.

On the new tires, 2 things jumped out at me. 1) The mold parting line is still quite crisp. 2) The white powdery stuff in the grooves is the waxes coming out.

Yeah they were pretty crispy, the car is parked in pretty much full AZ sun. It gets driven often though to doctors appointments and the grocery store and to see family, usually an average of 5 miles each trip and an occasional 40-50 mile drive. Is this still not enough for the AO's?

I can't find a traditional date code on them, unless it's on the inside of the tire. It says this. Any way to decipher the date? DOT A315 WB60

Probably on the inside of the tire, Nick. You're missing 4 more numerical digits.

Those Conti's are nice and are on my short list. I'm still beating up the idea of going with the LX20's or the Extreme Winter's.

Conti makes a really nice product.

Found the date on the inside. 16th week of 2014. Wish it were newer stock but oh well.

They've got a weight capacity of 2,149 pounds (Max 44 psi) and the Michelins were 2039 pounds at 35 psi max. I didn't like them being 35 psi max while towing a heavy trailer.

Found the date on the inside. 16th week of 2014. Wish it were newer stock but oh well.

They've got a weight capacity of 2,149 pounds (Max 44 psi) and the Michelins were 2039 pounds at 35 psi max. I didn't like them being 35 psi max while towing a heavy trailer.

That's pretty fresh.. upto 2 years old is quite normal.

Stored new unused in the proper environment .. there is not much aging going on.

It does look like a pretty good improvement there. 8596 lbs max vs. 8156. You still might want to run 35 psi, but now you can go higher if you want.

How much does the Trailblazer weigh loaded? then your trailer tongue weight.

Originally Posted By: datech

It does look like a pretty good improvement there. 8596 lbs max vs. 8156. You still might want to run 35 psi, but now you can go higher if you want.

How much does the Trailblazer weigh loaded? then your trailer tongue weight.
I've got 35 psi in there now, I don't regularly tow. Just occasionally. I've towed my brothers jeep on a Uhaul car hauler trailer before and right now it's got about 500 pounds of gravel and sand bags in the back, with about 300 pounds of bricks.

A few days ago I replaced all the struts and shocks. All the high end Munroe product line, lifetime warranty so after almost 4 years I decided to take them off and trade them in on warranty.

My stock Michelins (X?) on a 97 Stratus looked just like the cracked pic here after about 2 years, and several tread separated.

It has to be the tread compound, maybe to make it hard to wear long and give no traction.

Yeah they were pretty crispy, the car is parked in pretty much full AZ sun. It gets driven often though to doctors appointments and the grocery store and to see family, usually an average of 5 miles each trip and an occasional 40-50 mile drive. Is this still not enough for the AO's?........

I think it depends on how often the vehicle gets used. From the sound of it, it doesn't sound like enough.

...I can't find a traditional date code on them, unless it's on the inside of the tire. It says this. Any way to decipher the date? DOT A315 WB60

And I see you've got your answer above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back