Michelin 1st, Bridgestone 6th, Continental 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I have nothing put praise for Michelin tires.. You get what you pay for.... I like the lines that They are as good as a Michelin.... well in that case I will just buy the Michelin. Over the years Michelin tires have cured problems that I was told was normal for the car or thats the way they all ride... Many of Goodyear and Firestone tires over the years have been replaced with Michelin curing ride issues with cars that I have purchased since 1968... Plus they will balance up great with very little weights needed on the wheel...and they seem to stay balanced for very long periods of time..

After the way they treated people stuck with their time-bomb XRV motorhome tires (as well as their generally-appalling customer service), I will not give Michelin one cent of my money under any circumstances. I will run 4 different brands of used tires before I will buy Michelins.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Bad mouth Dyson all you want, we use them in a business and have LOVED them ever since we bought our first in around 05! They simply out last anything, including expensive commercial designs. Nine in our company now and that old original one is still used every day!
Dysons really DO suck! That's a good thing.

Is that the typical retail Dyson, or is it a "commercial" line of vacuums?

Quote:
And back OT, no one 'assumes' anything here about Michelins. They flat out wear ANY OTHER TIRE on our fleet trucks (LTXMS2's in load range E). And not by any small margin. How about triple the life of bridgestone? Plus they will save your life in bad weather.

Someone I work with is fighting with Michelin...he just threw away four very expensive tires on his Audi. Four years old, they are dry-rotted to the point the car failed inspection. Michelin told him to pound sand, and said he "must have" used tire dressing. He didn't, and his Audi now rides on Yokohamas. ANother co-worker of mine has a set of LTX-AT's on his Ram...three years old, they have plenty of tread. They also have enough checking they are getting replaced soon. Michelin is also giving HIM the runaround. They will probably be replaced with Firestone Steeltex AT's.

Quote:
They are so much better that they are in a class by themselves. I'm almost positive that all Michelins don't perform like this or the other companies would die out.

They are in their own class, all right: REMEDIAL EDUCATION! Michelin fanatics are as much a cult as the Apple fanatics.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
I put very little stock in these types of surveys. This one is based totally on customer perception, not actual performance. People who overpay for big brand tires will tend to show more "satisfaction" with their purchase as a way of justifying the additional expense.

Like people who buy and swear by those expensive Dyson vacuums, even though real-world testing shows they are average or below.

Some people who buy Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone are much the same way. They assume paying more means they got a better tire. That might be what they think, but it is not always the case.

Just one man's opinion.

+1 good post.

As a fleet operator for 23 years I found both groups of posters above to be correct. By and large, Michelins are quality tires. They command a premium price that can't always be justified through cost per mile analysis.

Like everyone else, they occasionally build a bad tire. Unlike other manufacturers, they read their own press releases and seem to be completely unable to admit that they might make a bad one.

Bottom line: my Chev 3500 dually camper rides on Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. I'm grossing 12,400 lbs and don't want problems on the road. I'll take my chances that I won't need an adjustment.

We've had nothing but fantastic results with the LTX M/S tires on our SUV's. They have been a fantastic all-weather tire.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I have nothing put praise for Michelin tires.. .......and they seem to stay balanced for very long periods of time..

That has been my experience with Michelin also. OTOH most of the Bridgestones I have owned required frequent balancing.

Agree with both esp the bridgestone reballancing

Good data. We have been doing intensive field testing of both Dyson and LTX-MS Michelins in our biz for many years. Have found them both to give excellent service and greatly OUTLAST the competition!

I only consider one source of information on tyre performance as reliable and that is the German RDAC who test most different sizes for summer and winter tyres and I always choose my tyres based on the braking performance figures.
Michellins are the best tyres in wear factor terms, but not in braking distance performance.
The big surprise this year was that Nokian beat Continental in all the summer tyres tested, although unlike Continental they don't make good winter tyres.
If you are looking for safe tyres the best ones are made by Continental, Nokian, Dunlop, Goodyear and Pirrelli.
Which make is best does vary from size to size, but the real horror story is that some of the El Cheapo tyres take 25% further to stop a car in the wet than the best tyres and it is nearly always the wet braking distance figures that are bad for cheap tyres.

Originally Posted By: skyship
............The big surprise this year was that Nokian beat Continental in all the summer tyres tested, although unlike Continental they don't make good winter tyres...............

Nokian doesn't make good winter tires????????? Are you sure about that?

I have over 90,000 on my Michelin Primacy on my 07 Accord. I only rotate same side and never had to rebalance... I have about 4/32nds left so I will be purchasing new tires in the next month or two... No brainer what I will replace them with.........Michelin Primacy..

I only consider one source of information on tyre performance as reliable and that is the German RDAC who test most different sizes for summer and winter tyres and I always choose my tyres based on the braking performance figures.
Michellins are the best tyres in wear factor terms, but not in braking distance performance.
The big surprise this year was that Nokian beat Continental in all the summer tyres tested, although unlike Continental they don't make good winter tyres.
If you are looking for safe tyres the best ones are made by Continental, Nokian, Dunlop, Goodyear and Pirrelli.
Which make is best does vary from size to size, but the real horror story is that some of the El Cheapo tyres take 25% further to stop a car in the wet than the best tyres and it is nearly always the wet braking distance figures that are bad for cheap tyres.

You are 'cherry picking' the results. Many Michelin tires actually do out-brake the competition, especially in the wet.

As an example the new 328i took over 190 feet to stop from 70 in a C&D comparo with Pirelli P7 tires. That's SUV type distances from a former class leader! As a comparison point, the new Caddy ATS stopped in 158 feet, on Michelins, despite another 100 pounds or so.

I can assure you that in the Light Truck segment their E range tires are the absolute best out there on a heavy truck. I buy 3-4 sets of tires every year for fleet use and they have the lowest cost of ownership due to extreme longevity. Their outrageously good performance is just a bonus.

I find it hysterical that a board full of members who stockpile 300 quarts of expensive synthetic oil, despite having a run-of-the-mill grocery getter, then change the oil 2-3x as often as necessary will then criticize the best tires on the market for being $20 more than the competitors. I guess we all have our opinions of value.

I forgot the link in the last post:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/default.aspx?ComponentId=29895&SourcePageId=0

Nokian were no 1 for summer tyres this year, but are well down the list for winter tyres, except for the 205 size. Michellin do make some good winter tyres, but their main reputation is for summer tyres with very low wear rates.
The RDAC report does not cover any light truck tyres.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
............The big surprise this year was that Nokian beat Continental in all the summer tyres tested, although unlike Continental they don't make good winter tyres...............

Nokian doesn't make good winter tires????????? Are you sure about that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back