Mercedes W124 200D

I have recently bought a 1992 Mercedes w124 200D with the om601 engine. The car is in very good condition and I plan on keeping it as a classic. It has 145k miles on it. The car is going to be used only for two weeks on Christmas holidays, two weeks on Easter holidays and 2-3 months in the summer. That is about 3k-4k miles a year. I drive it mostly short distances of about 10-15 miles, but sometimes I take it for a 100mile round trip on highway. it has an 4 speed automatic gearbox that keeps the revs very high on the motorway. At 70mph it turns at about 3600rpm. I would like your advice for the best oil to use in this engine. It currently has in it 15W40 HDEO. I was planning to change it to Mobil Super 2000 10W40 for the winter season because the hydraulics have been making some noise and thought that a semi synthetic might help with that. Is it a good choice? Should I stay with an HDEO for this engine or a regular PCMO is fine?
Thank you

I have recently bought a 1992 Mercedes w124 200D with the om601 engine. The car is in very good condition and I plan on keeping it as a classic. It has 145k miles on it. The car is going to be used only for two weeks on Christmas holidays, two weeks on Easter holidays and 2-3 months in the summer. That is about 3k-4k miles a year. I drive it mostly short distances of about 10-15 miles, but sometimes I take it for a 100mile round trip on highway. it has an 4 speed automatic gearbox that keeps the revs very high on the motorway. At 70mph it turns at about 3600rpm. I would like your advice for the best oil to use in this engine. It currently has in it 15W40 HDEO. I was planning to change it to Mobil Super 2000 10W40 for the winter season because the hydraulics have been making some noise and thought that a semi synthetic might help with that. Is it a good choice? Should I stay with an HDEO for this engine or a regular PCMO is fine?
Thank you

The Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 (the sold in Europe version) is perfect in these OM601 engines, easier starting, low wear and great protection at higher rpm. I ran a 1980 W123 200D on Castrol 0w30 at high rpm daily and had no issues over a long period.

For the hydraulics are you referring to lifter tick? Where it needs to get to the hydraulic lash adjusters in your engine to build pressure as it warms up and not make noise.

Is the tick mostly present between 1000 and 1500 rpm? I've had this tick on all amost the MB engines i had over the years (many M111, one OM601 and one OM605) one M111 sounded like a diesel and it seemed like 5w30 made it quieter over the 10/15w40 it had. In your case i'd try a 5w40 to see if it helps, find a decent one that's not too expensive. Using HDEO isn't paramount, the oils sold in Europe are dual rated for gas and diesel passenger cars (ACEA A3/B4).

Depending upon climate, a 15w-40 or 5w-40 HDEO will be perfect. This series of engines is a lot cleaner than the previous 616/617, but they still load soot.

IIRC, my OM603 has a redline up around 5000RPM. So 3600 RPM is in the realm of acceptable use, but might be noisy! No going to bother it though...

For the hydraulics are you referring to lifter tick? Where it needs to get to the hydraulic lash adjusters in your engine to build pressure as it warms up and not make noise.
Yes I am referring tou lifter tick. You can hear them more while the engine is cold at lower rpm
Is the tick mostly present between 1000 and 1500 rpm? I've had this tick on all amost the MB engines i had over the years (many M111, one OM601 and one OM605) one M111 sounded like a diesel and it seemed like 5w30 made it quieter over the 10/15w40 it had. In your case i'd try a 5w40 to see if it helps, find a decent one that's not too expensive. Using HDEO isn't paramount, the oils sold in Europe are dual rated for gas and diesel passenger cars (ACEA A3/B4).
I am not sure if its between 1000 to 1500rpm but I noticed that I can hear the tick mostly at lower rpm. If I rev the engine above 2.5k and then let it idle the tick is gone for some time and comes back again. After a long trip on the motorway the engine is completly silent without any lifter tick.

This engine uses mechanical lash adjusters not hydraulics. What you describe is a sure indicator of needing a valve adjustment, if you never did one I would find a qualified garage to do it. It requires special tools which were originally made by Hazet but have not been made in some years, one is to hold the valve spring and 2 bent wrenches to do the adjuster and lock nut.

You can find these tools on ebay or make them using a large box wrench and cutting an opening in it and bendign up a couple of wrenches but it is probably not worth it for a time or two.

This engine uses mechanical lash adjusters not hydraulics. What you describe is a sure indicator of needing a valve adjustment, if you never did one I would find a qualified garage to do it. It requires special tools which were originally made by Hazet but have not been made in some years, one is to hold the valve spring and 2 bent wrenches to do the adjuster and lock nut.

You can find these tools on ebay or make them using a large box wrench and cutting an opening in it and bendign up a couple of wrenches but it is probably not worth it for a time or two.
OM60x all have hydraulic lifters.

Attachments

• IyjjzCC.jpg
    IyjjzCC.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 24
Back