2023 Mercedes GLE 350 oil weight

Does anyone know what the factory fill oil weight is for the 2023 GLE 350 4cyl turbo? I changed the oil and put 5/30 in and the engine seemed noisy. I changed the oil again with 0/20 and it still seems noisy. It gets extremely noisey right before it shifts at around 3K RPM. Both oils I used met Mercedes spec as per manual.

Does anyone know what the factory fill oil weight is for the 2023 GLE 350 4cyl turbo? I changed the oil and put 5/30 in and the engine seemed noisy. I changed the oil again with 0/20 and it still seems noisy. It gets extremely noisey right before it shifts at around 3K RPM. Both oils I used met Mercedes spec as per manual.
What oil did you use? Which specification?
I would not be surprised factory fill is MB229.51/52

Can’t help with what they might put in the factory unfortunately

What oil specs does it give in the handbook?

Is it the 2.0 Merc engine?

What oil did you use? Which specification?
I would not be surprised factory fill is MB229.51/52
I used 5/30 Penzoil Euro L (spec 229.51) And Mobil 1 ESP 0/20 ( spec 229.72) The 0/20 is what's in it now
Can’t help with what they might put in the factory unfortunately

What oil specs does it give in the handbook?

Is it the 2.0 Merc engine?
It is the 2.0
Manual specs are 229.51, 229.52, 229.61, 229.71, 229.72

Is it possible you are just listening more carefully after the change? I don’t know about the MB engines, but the BMW B48 engine sounds like an old 240D, yet it is built off the same platform as the wonderful B58 6cyl. Same as the prior N20 and N55. Some 4cyl direct injection engines are just really gravelly sounding.

I am not sure but I think I read somewhere on the net where it very well may have
I have a 2021 Mercedes with a M260 engine, my owners manual recommends the same oils as yours. From my experience 229.52 seems to be the best of all those options offered in reducing noise in my situation. Ceratec might also help

This engine is noisy.

It sounds like you have done your homework, so I'm assuming the Owner's Manual didn't give a preferred viscosity?

Are you going to try either of the xW-40 options?

It sounds like you have done your homework, so I'm assuming the Owner's Manual didn't give a preferred viscosity?

Are you going to try either of the xW-40 options?
It did not give viscosity just Mercedes specs which cover of variety of viscosities. Part of my issue also is I am OCD. I had first changed oil with 5W-30 and it seemed noisy to me. Then I changed it with 0W 20 because in the manual there was an Asterix next to that spec, which happened to be 0W 20 and I figured that was probably the factory fill. It said to use for best mileage which I assumed is probably what they put as a factory fill. I called four different dealerships and got three different viscosities that they told me was the factory fill. However, two of them said it was 0w/20. I also went on Mobil 1’s site and put in my car info and it said 0W 20 which is what is in the car now. I am not as concerned as much about mileage as I am about protecting the engine so I am considering 0W 30 but again I have OCD and just want to use whatever is the best for the engine. Seems like a little high reving four-cylinder turbo should have something more than 0W-20. The car is my wife’s and only has 2,700 miles

As is the case with all of these discussions, the grade (weight) is irrelevant in light of the approval requirements. That’s one of the reasons it may not be listed in a manual. It doesn’t matter.

Whatever is best for your engine is an oil that meets the required approval. Pick one that that is listed and find an oil that carries the approval.

You’re still focusing on grade when that is just about the least important thing in this discussion.

As is the case with all of these discussions, the grade (weight) is irrelevant in light of the approval requirements. That’s one of the reasons it may not be listed in a manual. It doesn’t matter.

Whatever is best for your engine is an oil that meets the required approval. Pick one that that is listed and find an oil that carries the approval.

You’re still focusing on grade when that is just about the least important thing in this discussion.
Every oil I have used and I’m talking about does carry the spec. I think viscosity does play a big role. The thickness is all over place. To me there is a big difference between 0W 20 and 0W 40 even though they both carry acceptable specs.

Is it possible you are just listening more carefully after the change? I don’t know about the MB engines, but the BMW B48 engine sounds like an old 240D, yet it is built off the same platform as the wonderful B58 6cyl. Same as the prior N20 and N55. Some 4cyl direct injection engines are just really gravelly sounding.
N20 and N55 were not modular engines. B generation is first modular generation of engines.

Big role in what?

And just to be clear about this, it’s not a “spec” it’s an approval.
see attached from the manual. Clearly says “specification”

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 41
Back