Melling water pump

I remember Bill Elliott being sponsored by Melling in the 80’s in the NASCAR number 9 Ford when they were widely known for they’re oil pumps. They seem to have branched out into other engine parts in the last few years. My 2005 Chevy 5.3 needs a new a/c compressor belt (cracked) so I decided to preemptively change the idler pulleys and water pump while I’m in there. At 233,000 miles I feel it’s just a matter of time before the pump goes. A search showed the usual pump manufacturers, ac/delco, gates, duralast etc. The search also showed several no name brands as well as the Melling pump. I wasn’t aware that Melling made anything but oil pumps. The MWP 500 WT fits my 5.3 and at a price of $126.00 with a new thermostat and thermostat housing, so I pulled the trigger last night and ordered it from Summit Racing with free 2 day delivery. Tracking is saying it will be delivered tomorrow. I am putting the cart before the horse by asking after ordering, but Has anybody here ever used a Melling water pump and if so what are your thoughts on the quality?

Their oil pumps and various valvetrain parts are still well regarded and some say oem mfg. Never seen a Melling water pump though.

Gates pump is also fine.

If you want to you can also delete the AC belt tensioner and run a 2010+ Silverado AC stretch belt.

Melling claim the water pumps are "Are Assembled and Tested in Jackson, Michigan". That doesnt mean much and where the parts actually come from is anyone's guess.
Did you know Hershey's chocolate syrup is Fat Free?

Update: After 1 week and 300 miles the new Melling pump, along with new ac/delco belts and tensioners, and a new thermostat are humming right along and quiet as a church mouse. The upper and lower radiator hoses after 17 years and 233,000 miles are surprisingly still like new so I didn’t replace them. The machining of the pump is impressive and looks to be a high quality pump along with a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty, but time will tell. The old coolant was still clean looking so I only replaced what drained from the lower hose and replaced it with 1 gallon of Prestone Dexcool orange concentrate along with 1 gallon of distilled water. No runs, drips or errors and For slightly less than $300 in parts and 2 hours labor.

Melling set the bar for oil pumps/technology and have never wavered. They wouldn’t tarnish their name with poor quality pumps; oil, water, or otherwise.

Melling set the bar for oil pumps/technology and have never wavered. They wouldn’t tarnish their name with poor quality pumps; oil, water, or otherwise.
That may have been true 40 years ago but it just isn't that way now. Companies are branching out and diversifying brands and sometimes that means utilizing a supplier for that diversification that isn't well aligned with the traditional core business.

That may have been true 40 years ago but it just isn't that way now. Companies are branching out and diversifying brands and sometimes that means utilizing a supplier for that diversification that isn't well aligned with the traditional core business.
Tell us, how many Melling oil pumps have you personally installed? How about race engine shops have you visited?

Tell us, how many Melling oil pumps have you personally installed? How about race engine shops have you visited?
How many Melling water pumps have you installed?

And I'm not the only one in this thread that said the same thing, make sure you respond to them as well. I'm not trying to gore your favorite company.

Last edited:
Probably 50+. Grew up about 8 miles from Holman Moody. My dad sold lubricants to them, Yates Racing, Cale Yarborough Racing, etc etc. Been in automotive (Fleet) 40+ years. Melling was then and is now the best you can buy.
Not sure what YOUR slant is here??

Probably 50+. Grew up about 8 miles from Holman Moody. My dad sold lubricants to them, Yates Racing, Cale Yarborough Racing, etc etc. Been in automotive (Fleet) 40+ years. Melling was then and is now the best you can buy.
Not sure what YOUR slant is here??
Considering how new their water pump line is you've done pretty good then.

And the selling of lubricants is interesting but hardly related to their water pumps.

Melling has no issues outsourcing China made parts, I bought a timing chain tensioner and sprockets from them, it was made in China and not even close the the machine work on the original made in Germany original, they were returned and replaced with German OE. Some other examples, I would put money on some if not all of their water pumps being Chinese. They may make an LS pump in the US as those engines are a good part of their core business. Not knocking the company but what was is not necessarily what is.

Melling 2.jpg

Melling.jpg

Considering how new their water pump line is you've done pretty good then.

And the selling of lubricants is interesting but hardly related to their water pumps.
Mis-read. You ask water pumps. None. Oil pumps, yes more than I can count. I’m assuming about their water pump quality but my experience with most all other Melling products (oil pumps, engine overhaul kits, and performance camshaft kits) has been 100% successful. I like a good debate but I’m done. I like Melling. You don’t. We’re good.

Mis-read. You ask water pumps. None. I’m assuming but my experience with Melling products (oil pumps, engine overhaul kits, and performance camshafts has been 100% successful. I like a good debate but I’m done. I like Melling. You don’t. We’re good.
Not once did I ever say I don’t like Melling nor did I infer it either. Another thing you misread perhaps? You are free to write it off as that but it’s not what I said.

Back