Ford Edge water pump replacement

Primary tensioners are available, secondary are on backorder at the moment, quoted on friday
OP is stating they are discontinued. Which is what I was questioning. The secondary tensioners were and are still back ordered from the last time we got some, had to settle for aftermarket. There was no issue with the primary tensioner from when we got the last batch.

OP is stating they are discontinued. Which is what I was questioning. The secondary tensioners were and are still back ordered from the last time we got some, had to settle for aftermarket. There was no issue with the primary tensioner from when we got the last batch.

I don't know, I guess primary ones are not available around here at the moment.. it's cool, I just got both Melling..

I usually undo the suction line that goes across the front of the motor it makes it much easier to get the timing cover in and out. Alternator and ac compressor can stay put

only an idiot would buy one of these cars with this engine in the first place. research before you buy!
I guess that position is ok provided you're willing to say the same thing to every owner of an interference engine with a timing belt.

I'd rather take my chances with a milkshake for a brief while than bent valves and damaged pistons which are decidedly immediate and permanent.

I guess that position is ok provided you're willing to say the same thing to every owner of an interference engine with a timing belt.

I'd rather take my chances with a milkshake for a brief while than bent valves and damaged pistons which are decidedly immediate and permanent.
a timming belt dosnt cost 2-3000$ to change and your owners manual tells you at what miles to change it . does the ford owner manual say any thing about the water pump desighn? hell no!

• Haha
Reactions: D60
only an idiot would buy one of these cars with this engine in the first place. research before you buy!
That is "somewhat" fair to state, but unfortunately the entire auto industry is building crap these days trying to eek out a little higher fuel economy, or pandering to the internet-raised morons who can't process that every feature has its own downside, and as a result, if it's not one thing that bites you in the arse, then it is just something else.

Yes do research, and then whatever you buy, if modern, will have some ridiculously high expense associated because vehicles are now being designed and spec'd by people with no accountability beyond what the warranty covers.

It has never been more expensive to get from point A to point B than it is today. That's ludicrous. Someone can come along and pretend that the higher fuel economy contradicts that, but in the long run, no. You can buy a newer vehicle and pretend it's true but then there's the depreciation loss and higher associated repair bills if you keep it *too* long, then again the higher cost to replace it.

@mattd @D60 well I got it back, water pump complete three timing chain job completed, also the oil pump and hitch that I added on. He gave me the keys told me to take it on a long drive. I ran in about a hundred miles, came back to the shop, he did a pressure check, checked all the fluids. Sent me on my way. Then of course I paid him..

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_161728945_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230406_161728945_HDR.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230406_161724531_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230406_161724531_HDR.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230406_134743045.jpg
    IMG_20230406_134743045.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 25
That is "somewhat" fair to state, but unfortunately the entire auto industry is building crap these days trying to eek out a little higher fuel economy, or pandering to the internet-raised morons who can't process that every feature has its own downside, and as a result, if it's not one thing that bites you in the arse, then it is just something else.

Yes do research, and then whatever you buy, if modern, will have some ridiculously high expense associated because vehicles are now being designed and spec'd by people with no accountability beyond what the warranty covers.

It has never been more expensive to get from point A to point B than it is today. That's ludicrous. Someone can come along and pretend that the higher fuel economy contradicts that, but in the long run, no. You can buy a newer vehicle and pretend it's true but then there's the depreciation loss and higher associated repair bills if you keep it *too* long, then again the higher cost to replace it.
exactly why this site is so valuable . the answer to every car question and potential issue is here!

My 0.02 for what it's worth. I have seen these 3.5 engines go over 200k on their original water pump. What I would do is be sure to change the coolant often so the pump and seals are well lubricated. And keep an eye on the coolant level. Open the hood every Saturday morning to see that the coolant is the same level. If it goes down, check the oil for coolant. If it's leaking coolant in the oil, then get the water pump fixed. My guess is that the engines that are destroyed are ones that had (A) a lot of coolant in the oil, and (B) were driven a long time that way.

3200$ is nuts. This job can be done in 1 day and part cost is fairly minimal
Yeah so is the price of a surgery or dental cap. Just remember a shop has to warrant the job. Meaning if it goes bad their fault or not, they eat the redo on it. Then of course that shop pays depending on its location, maybe $10,000. a month on the cheap side for rent, then utilities, insurance, employees, taxes you know all that fun stuff. $3200 isn't nuts when you spend 10 hours trying to remove a bolt and if you can't remove it then its either a complete engine tear down, or a replacement engine. Makes 3200 look like cheap.

Back