What brand of water pump for 2005 gm 4.8?

I just replaced both my idler pulleys (both were getting noisy) and with the belt off I discovered that the water pump is noisy as heck as well and has a ton of play in the shaft. So I'm water pump shopping. The original lasted 260,000kms and this one has lasted 120,000 (about 75k miles). Currently at 382,000kms. What brand do you think will give me the next chance of it going another 75k miles at least before failing me?

Attachments

• 20230126_164000_HDR.jpg
    20230126_164000_HDR.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 27
I bought a bates and it's still going strong. Put it on at 207k and now I'm at 331k. Still fine and not noisy. But it's luck of the draw with cheaper parts. Sometimes you get a golden sample and sometimes you get a stinker.

I just replaced both my idler pulleys (both were getting noisy) and with the belt off I discovered that the water pump is noisy as heck as well and has a ton of play in the shaft. So I'm water pump shopping. The original lasted 260,000kms and this one has lasted 120,000 (about 75k miles). Currently at 382,000kms. What brand do you think will give me the next chance of it going another 75k miles at least before failing me?
GATES

I replaced the pump on my 2001 5.3 at 77,000 miles. It turned out that only the gaskets were leaking, but I changed it anyway, since I had already bought an ACDelco "Professional" pump. That pump lasted less than 40,000 miles. This time I sprung for the GM Original Equipment pump and thermostat.

While you're in there, you might check the A/C tensioner and belt. I recommend the green Gates Fleetrunner belt. It holds up better than the standard one.

I replaced my water pump on my 2005 Chevy 5.3 a few months ago with a Melling MWP-500 WT. from Summit Racing. Comes with a new thermostat and a 3 year warranty. $126.00 with free shipping. Quiet as a mouse so far.

I've had a Gates on the 4.8 in my Tahoe for about 80k, no leaks and quiet. Put a Gates in my Suburban and it lasted one year before it started leaking and the bearing was shot.

Honestly, LS water pumps are super easy, I'd buy a half-way decent brand but shop by price. For how easy they are to do, I wouldn't go out of my way to spend big bucks on one especially if one is giving me a lifetime warranty.

Just as an FYI regarding Gates water pumps. The Gates Corporation is an actual owner of the company that manufactures the water pumps they sell with the Gates name on them.

I replaced the pump on my 2001 5.3 at 77,000 miles. It turned out that only the gaskets were leaking, but I changed it anyway, since I had already bought an ACDelco "Professional" pump. That pump lasted less than 40,000 miles. This time I sprung for the GM Original Equipment pump and thermostat.

While you're in there, you might check the A/C tensioner and belt. I recommend the green Gates Fleetrunner belt. It holds up better than the standard one.
I will check that while I'm at it. It has been replaced at some point but likely almost over 100k miles ago. The belt was more recent though.

GM OE or Gates if nothing else.
I looked into it and the current pump was either gates or GMB but most likely gates.
I ended up ordering a Melling with the thermostat for $165. Gm oe was $195 without the thermostat (both before tax and shipping to Canada).

Back