Meet Your 2012 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/17/2012-honda-civic-launches-in-five-flavors/

Quick Summary:

- New eco-model delivers 41 mpg due to aerodynamic improvements and small efficiency tweaks despite using the same engine and transmission as the other base models.

- The volume selling sedan and coupes will retain the same engine and transmission combination from the previous generation, but the highway fuel economy has increased 3mpg.

- The Hybrid is still using IMA, but is now using Lithium-Ion Technology. EPA combined is 45mpg, which almost matches the previous generation Prius.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
- New eco-model delivers 41 mpg due to aerodynamic improvements and small efficiency tweaks despite using the same engine and transmission as the other base models.

YES. Aah man, that is good to hear. THIS is how we should be getting our MPGs, not from hybrid powertrains and direct injection.

These Civics, Corollas , Elantras are all starting to look alike......I guess it has to do with aerodynamics and MPGs.

Originally Posted By: pbm
These Civics, Corollas , Elantras are all starting to look alike......I guess it has to do with aerodynamics and MPGs.

That was my first thought: The back end looks like an Elantra.

As said in Motor Trend recently regarding the Crosstour, 'Honda, hire yourself a [censored] designer.'

Is this the best they could come up with the extra year for the redesign?

While it's not ***** like the Crosstour, or a whale like the Accord, imo it's nothing special either.

I actually like the new Civic look. Honda sells so many cars that they are a bit on the generic look side to fit all tastes, but they never look ugly. Maybe a bit plain, but never ugly. I would love to own a 2012 civic. I've owned civics in the past and they've all been very good all around cars and generally trouble free.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As said in Motor Trend recently regarding the Crosstour, 'Honda, hire yourself a [censored] designer.'

While it's not ***** like the Crosstour, or a whale like the Accord, imo it's nothing special either.

The Crosstour has a rearend like JLo's....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

YES. Aah man, that is good to hear. THIS is how we should be getting our MPGs, not from hybrid powertrains and direct injection.

-Actually, in my opinion, direct injection makes engines a lot more efficient.

I have a cheap car myself, but I couldnt even sit in a civc passenger seat - no room for my feet! What kind of engineering/ergonomics is that? Accords may be Great but the last civic I liked was MANY years ago (in the eighties) and the new ones based on strut suspension are big and heavy without being roomy in actual use.
Just looked at phoyo of coupe - looks like tweak of existing car. That Disaster called dual level dash is still there?! Mr. Honda must be spinning ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dtt004
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

-Actually, in my opinion, direct injection makes engines a lot more efficient.

Yep. DI is coming whether we like it or not.

Back in the day electronic ignition and fuel injection met and overcame the same type of resistance.

Besides, whats not to like? With a MT it has everything that you need to zip around your average leviathan SUV and get you to where you need to go.

1192271964_oVUqX-XL.jpg

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: sayjac

The Crosstour has a rearend like JLo's....
The Crosstour is Honda's Aztec. Difference, round styling rather than square.

As for 'DI is coming whether we like it or not'. Perhaps, but I don't have to be the beta tester for carboned valves and intake. And, though I very much liked it, the main reason I avoided the Sonata 2.0 Turbo for my recent car purchase.

As for what's not to like, let's look at other than the top of the line Si. As the article says, "barely distinguishable from the previous generation". Not impressed. And, I won't even bother with the hybrid, ugh.

06-2012-honda-civic.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yawn

Dude, its an appliance. And a good one at that.

I don't drive my dishwasher down the road. It could be a good car and an interesting drive, rather than an appliance and no better than it's competition.

Never thought I'd see the day when a GM fuel-economy special (Cruze Eco 6MT) beat a Honda fuel-economy special for highway FE, even if it is just by 1 MPG. It looks like Honda has lost their mojo when everybody else has found theirs.

Between the spate of recalls lately (Fit VTEC bungled, 'nuff said), uninspired styling and basically static engine technology in the past 5-6 years, Honda has been asleep thinking we'll buy it because it's wearing a straight-H. Time to wake up, Honda. The crooked-H folks, bowtie folks, and blue-oval folks sure are swilling a lot of coffee while the Honda folks are still in bed.

Looks fine to me..
I saw a really nice clean top of the line (but non-SI model) today when I was out. It was a 4 door with what looked to be factory ground effects. I thought to myself, that is the best looking car by far you can buy in that class.
Infact, if I am at any point forced to give up my beloved old Saturns, I will possibly spring for a 2006+ Civic with manual trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back