2012 Honda Accord {1 month review}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, almost one month. As some of you know, I traded in my 2006 Honda Accord LX 2.4 with 132,000 miles for this 2012 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 with 33,000 miles. This is the top trim level (minus navigation) so I am enjoying the extra amenities such as heated leather seats, premium audio with XM satellite radio, bluetooth hands free link, and a sunroof (holla!) The driving dynamics are similar to my previous Accord, however this one does feel more tied down and a bit more sporty. Braking feels solid with discs on all four corners, and the steering is nice and heavy. Road noise is a bit louder than I was used to but its not bad, and honestly I am already used too it. I expect MPG to be around 24-26 city, not sure about highway but its rated at 34 MPG. Since I am so meticulous about maintaining my car both mechanically and cosmetically I have detailed it a couple times and have been a little disappointed with the paint. Its not that its bad paint, its just not what I am used to working with. Its the Taffeta White single stage paint and it just seems to hold on to contaminants, unlike clear coated paint jobs that you can just about wash anything off with ease this paint just holds on to environmental fall out. One of the members on here is graciously loaning me some equipment and products to buff and shine the paint up with, so hopefully that will all work out, and I will be able to keep the paint in great shape thereafter. Overall I am very pleased with the car, build quality seems to be good, I like the styling, it has a well appointed interior, decent gas mileage, and easy to maintain. I looked at Camrys and Sonatas as well, but the Camry has a sealed transmission which I was not a fan of, and I worried about resale value with the Sonata. Looking back after doing some research on both of those cars I am glad I didn't go that route. The Sonata's seems to have a random issue in which the engine abruptly seizes, and the Camry's have a design flaw in the A/C system that allows water to pool and then stink up the cabin, as of now there is no fix for either of those issues. Unfortunatly my Accord does have the occasional grind noise on start up from the VTC actuator, Honda engineers claim its a non issue in regards to longevity of the motor so I will try not to worry about it, they are supposedly working on a fix. If any of you own this generation Accord feel free to comment and share your experiences with your car! I would love to hear them.
20150814_1328161_zpsynktvzdq.jpg

Great review, you bought a good car for the money. I never knew Camry had the water/AC problem. A few older Hondas in our possession and I've been asked if I wanted to sell any due to their long term reliability and low maintenance.

Just got my notice from honda for my 2010 extending engine warranty to 120k or so for oil gumming up the rings and causing excessive oil consumption. Traded it in back in March.

Why did you trade in the old accord with only 132,000 miles? What is because high resale value meant it did not cost you much? Just curious.

Watch out for oil consumption on those. As for maintenance, stick with the MM and you should be good. You know what the codes mean and how to reset it, right?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
A few older Hondas in our possession and I've been asked if I wanted to sell any due to their long term reliability and low maintenance.

the 05 civic is far from reliable, we have one in the family that has been maintained well I would say 3k OCI and such, it leaks, it burns quiet a bit of oil, and now the transmission is starting to trip...

the 05 rsx also had an oil burning issue, which Honda claimed to be designed specific (this part I have no personal experience on but what I have read on my research to acquire one but chose not to).

the other two Honda you have seem reliable from my experience as we have both of them, though there was an issue with the R1.8 in the civic but our civic wasn't effected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbias
Just got my notice from honda for my 2010 extending engine warranty to 120k or so for oil gumming up the rings and causing excessive oil consumption. Traded it in back in March.

Thats interesting...I had never heard of that issue. I already change my oil before the MM goes off and I use synthetic so hopefully there won't be an issue with that on mine!

Originally Posted By: hemitom
How much use are you getting out of those heated seats
grin.gif
(just yanking your chain) lol

Hehe, well I have been using them (yes even in the FL summer heat). The heat is a dry heat and it soothes my sometimes achy back
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
grin.gif

Hehe, well I have been using them (yes even in the FL summer heat). The heat is a dry heat and it soothes my sometimes achy back
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
grin.gif

wink.gif

your right !!!!! they do offer some relief to an achy back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back