Mechanic still hates Pennzoil.....WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also meant to say that my mechanic favors Napa (rebranded Valoline) Isn't Valvoline the one with the "most boring" add pack out there? I've read on this forum that it's additive package is less than stellar when compared to other, Pennzoil being one

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
I use the product that has been "Engineered" by Ford for Ford products....Motorcraft oil

There is no Ford oil company.

Agreed...but they can write the specs and formulations for others to produce so they can out their "signature" on it!...

Originally Posted By: ArmPitt
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
I use the product that has been "Engineered" by Ford for Ford products....Motorcraft oil

There is no Ford oil company.

Agreed...but they can write the specs and formulations for others to produce so they can out their "signature" on it!...

I have a feeling that the lube engineers at the oil company (Phillips I believe) tell Ford what they need in an oil, not the other way around. The sticker on the bottle is just marketing.

Pennzoil is my conventional oil of choice. If Pennzoil is sold out I spring for the Valvoline.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: strombony
Just got an oil pan gasket replaced. I asked my mechanic how clean everything looked and he said it was spotless, to which I replied "Pennzoil is doing its job".. I said that knowing how much he hates Pennzoil. After I said that, he told me I'm lucky because every sludged engine he as ever seen used Pennzoil. Claims he has not seen that with ANY other brand. I'd really love see the recent cars or trucks he has seen that have this mysterious Pennzoil sludge.

first name-MO last name-RON = MO-RON!

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a feeling that the lube engineers at the oil company (Phillips I believe) tell Ford what they need in an oil, not the other way around. The sticker on the bottle is just marketing.

Most likely, the engine engineers at Ford and the lube scientists at ConnocoPhillips worked together to "Tune" the MotorCraft formulation. What better way to test your oil formulation for almost free and have a wide range of engines to play with.

It is not unusual for an oil company or additive supplier to work with auto manufacturers; Look at GM and Ford and their association with Afton with regard to the new ATF's.

IMHO, one of the best blends on the market.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

Most likely, the engine engineers at Ford and the lube scientists at ConnocoPhillips worked together to "Tune" the MotorCraft formulation. What better way to test your oil formulation for almost free and have a wide range of engines to play with.

It is not unusual for an oil company or additive supplier to work with auto manufacturers; Look at GM and Ford and their association with Afton with regard to the new ATF's.

IMHO, one of the best blends on the market.

I've used CP MC thats said FORD on the packaging in my Honda so I can tell you for sure that the FORD name is all marketing. The lube tech in San Antonio where I happened to be was wary and even tried to talk me out of it immediately prior to using it but I stayed the course and it worked out real well. It worked so good in my car that I use CP Syn blend to this day and to this day the CP product gives me the best gas mileage.

Besides, my filtration is getting better with me having used to use Honda FRAM A02 filters then moved on the Napa gold and Super Tech and now finally back to FRAM with their 'Extended guard' this time with tons more pleats this weekend when I have a change coming up.

Last edited:
I also meant to say that my mechanic favors Napa (rebranded Valoline) Isn't Valvoline the one with the "most boring" add pack out there? I've read on this forum that it's additive package is less than stellar when compared to other, Pennzoil being one

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I hate the color yellow!

You just haven't found the right yellow.
56.gif

MATCO_2.jpg

hey now that is a very nice tool-box wish i had one just like it......except not yellow :D

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
that is from way back in the day with the wax [censored], that is not the case anymore.

That was never the case.

QS use to sludge engines badly

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Unfortunately a lot of mechanics are parts changers, and don't know all the facts. I like the mechanic that cares, and wants to learn, as opposed to the one who knows it all and doesn't stay with the times.
Frank D

That's the difference between an auto mechanic and a professional automotive Technician. As in all trades and industries not all are created equal.

Hopefully you get the latter more often than the former.

I used Quaker State and Penzoil without problems. I remember reading about Consumer Report best motor oils back in the early 90's. It ranked Penzoil as second to Redline(synthetic) and Mobil 1 (synthetic). I also read that Valvoline is the oldest oil company in the US from a Japanese car magazine. However, I remember from school. Wasn't Quaker State the oldest? I agree, that it is due to negligence of regular maintainence or something other than the quality of oil. I have a oil collection bucket(used for collection oil in oil changes)that got contaminated with coolant and water. It sludged really bad on the bottom. I couldn't understand why it was that way until, I remembered the cross-contamination previously with coolant and water. Note, the oil was not QS or Penzoil but, another brand. I feel another conspiracy theory brewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back