McDonalds brings back McRib sandwich nationwide

Mechanically pressed
Pressed meat cant be much better than restructured meat because the meat is no longer intact. Restructured meat means meat pieces that have been glued together with protein glue. The main problem with that is the risk of bacterial contamination. If you have intact meat, a single piece, you always have some bacteria on the outside. Since the outside of the meat gets cooked and the bacteria killed in the process even if you don't cook the meat all the way through, this is not a problem. But with restructured meat you may have a considerable bacterial load between undercooked meat pieces. The bacteria may not be killed off and there is an increased risk of food poisoning. The same issue occurs with chemically and mechanically tenderized meat, and ground meat. Intact meat, a solid single piece of meat, is much safer. I do eat burgers but only well done.

Last edited:
I read a description of "meat glue". Scraps are glued together to make "affordable filets".

I had one (filet) by mistake and the glue slowed my bowels. I could feel the fecal matter dragging against my "chute" and it stuck upon exit.

Very industrial and foul.

Pressed meat cant be much better than restructured meat because the meat is no longer intact. Restructured meat means meat pieces that have been glued together with protein glue. The main problem with that is the risk of bacterial contamination. If you have intact meat, a single piece, you always have some bacteria on the outside. Since the outside of the meat gets cooked and the bacteria killed in the process even if you don't cook the meat all the way through, this is not a problem. But with restructured meat you may have a considerable bacterial load between undercooked meat pieces. The bacteria may not be killed off and there is an increased risk of food poisoning. The same issue occurs with chemically and mechanically tenderized meat, and ground meat. Intact meat, a solid single piece of meat, is much safer. I do eat burgers but only well done.
It's a good point but when was the last time you heard about food poisoning at McDonalds? They seem to do a good job with cooking everything which is why pretty much everything is well done. The scandals with food poisoning seem to be mostly with trendy chains which try fresh ingredients, but that's more easily contaminated. Maybe you don't get super fresh at the major chains, but you also don't get food poisoning.

McDonald's has had their share with bacteria-related outbreaks,, not necessarily always in their meat products and not always in the US. Here's just the most recent domestic incident: Parasitic illness linked to MacDonald's sickens at least 500 in 16 states, reported in August 2018

Every restaurant, chain restaurant, supermarket, and consumer relies on food suppliers furnishing them with safe food products. Along the supply chain measures are taken that are intended to keep the product safe. Gaseous ammonia is used especially in the production of restructured and ground meat products because it helps control bacteria. Meat being properly cooked should destroy any remaining pathogen. As someone who has been served fast food that was not even fully defrosted in the center, I know firsthand that mistakes happen. I will say that uncooked things like salads pose a higher risk of making customers ill than heated/cooked products. Jack in the Box, Taco Bell, Chipotle, Burger Kind, and Sizzler have all had their food poisoning scandals.

I would like to address super market meat. Some of it is restructured meat. It's safe to eat only if fully cooked but I find it gross. You are not safe from getting a restructured steak at a fine restaurant either. It comes down to trust in the owner and chef and their ethics. You recognize glued meat if there is any fat in between meat. There will be an air pocket because fat cant be glued to meat. And if you see a roast that looks like its been assembled from thick slices it probably is glued together.

pictures of glued meat

If they bring back the McDLT, I might set foot in a McDonalds again.
The reason the McDLT failed was the consumer was able to see the full pattie. Ended up being a huge marketing flop as majority of cionsumers were turned off by the color of a McDLT pattie.

Call me crazy.... but I’m so elated McDonalds is bringing back the McRib nationwide. It’s almost like an early Christmas present. Down here in Florida they did not have it while other parts of the USA had it for a limited time.

I wish the McRib was available all the time.

Great sandwich! And an equally great laxative!

The reason the McDLT failed was the consumer was able to see the full pattie. Ended up being a huge marketing flop as majority of cionsumers were turned off by the color of a McDLT pattie.
They're always adding and removing items. Anyway, stuff online says they discontinued it because they got rid of the styrofoam for environmental issues and that was the appeal of it, two sides to it, a hot and cold side. Although I guess you could bring it back now as they have those paper containers.

They're always adding and removing items. Anyway, stuff online says they discontinued it because they got rid of the styrofoam for environmental issues and that was the appeal of it, two sides to it, a hot and cold side. Although I guess you could bring it back now as they have those paper containers.
I remember McDonald’s packaging as a kid - the Styrofoam clamshells but the “regular” burgers were wrapped in paper. The Big Breakfast had its own tray as well, not the same DIY experience as the McDLT. They switched over to paper clamshells in the 1990s.

The meat in fast food can be thought of as a "Synthetic Blend" .
It's all made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen and some trace minerals. Synthetic blend is considered better than conventional but not as good a full synthetic which will last longer.

Mystery meat pressed into the shape of a rib with bland "BBQ" sauce poured on. No thanks. For those who eat those things please do yourself a favor and find some real BBQ instead.
You must have lost your sense of taste. I just finished a delicious steak shaped meat by-product with a little Hinz 58 sauce on the side. Yummers.

On a related note... try feeding a large family on McD's. I get sticker shock when we order for the kids.
No kidding, if you don't have the app, your SOL. Yesterday they had a free Big Mac on the app with any purchase of $1.

Hamburgers are "restructured" meat. I dont eat Mcdonalds burgers or chicken nuggets.

I'll have their breakfast sandwiches though.

Every 3-4 years I will get a McRib. Its surprisingly good regardless of the optics and hasn't changed since the 80's

Hamburgers are "restructured" meat. I dont eat Mcdonalds burgers or chicken nuggets.

I'll have their breakfast sandwiches though.

Every 3-4 years I will get a McRib. Its surprisingly good regardless of the optics and hasn't changed since the 80's
Really restructured meat? I can’t believe it taste as good as it does lol I can eat a 40 piece mcgnugget all to myself and multiple of their burgers to me it’s one of the best burgers I’ve had.

I had my McRib Monday evening. It was as good as ever. Nice fresh slivered onions and no pickles. The fries were nice and crisp. Might have one more before they are gone again.

Really restructured meat? I can’t believe it taste as good as it does lol I can eat a 40 piece mcgnugget all to myself and multiple of their burgers to me it’s one of the best burgers I’ve had.

I dont recall their nuggets or burgers being bad, just very ordinary classic frozen stuff.

Thing is I have much better choices. For chicken nuggets I go to Chick Fil-A.

For Burgers I go to In-n-out, 5 guys, or the local burger joints.

On the local Burger front we have an old school drive-in with window service and small chain called "burgers and cream" - both make a killer burger and I figure the smaller outfits may need my business a bit more than a mega chain.

Mcdonalds ties in their breakfast offerings with Carls Jr biscuits.

Back