McDonalds brings back McRib sandwich nationwide

After just having eaten a McRib, just so that I could make an informed post, I have to say it's a ghastly sandwich. The meat product resembles spam in looks and texture, it's spongy with no flavor. The sauce is cloyingly sweet with barely a hint of bbq flavor.

With the top on it doesn't look too bad.

The meat product is mercifully covered up. Raw onion, gah! Pac-Man pickle!

Never again!

Last edited:
Funny I had one yesterday, and ran into this thread today.

It's OK. Basically a pork patty sandwich with some not-to-tangy BBQ sauce. The best part was the crunch and flavor contrast with the fresh onions and pickles on it. Worst part was wishing for some smoke or charred flavor that simply wasn't there.

There are better foods around, but when it comes to pork, it is pretty much the only option in the national fast food chain market.

There are ~ 5 good local BBQ places within a 30 minute drive of my place, so pretty far down on the choice for me if I want pork... but if I'm already in line at McD's for the kids, yeah, I'll have one.

I don't get it. People here complain about mystery pork meat and then says all sort of good things about sausages (i.e breakfast links, polish, pepperoni pizza, salami, bacon, etc). Or pull pork sandwich

They are still the muscle of a pig, not skin or organs, not tendons, not bones, not soft bones (or whatever they call it).

Again, as I said it is really the American pork having an odor. If you go to Japan and have a pork chop on rice, or anywhere else on earth eating pork import from Brazil, Argentina, Denmark, etc, you will know what I mean. Somehow we either bred or feed our pigs to grow fast instead of flavor. The just don't taste right unless you really char it with lots of smoke or sauces.

I tried one a couple of years ago, despite having read a lot of comments like the ones in this thread. I thought it was good. Sauce was too 'tame' to be called barbeque sauce, but they have to cater to the delicate palettes out there. I'm well aware that these things are made of rejected pieces of pork that can't be used for anything else, pressed into the shape of a tiny rack of ribs. It's indeed mystery meat, because you could never identify the part of the pig (or whatever) it came from. I enjoyed it, but knowing what it is prevents me from returning to the scene of that crime. When I'm craving a pork sandwich, it'll be pulled pork from the barbeque joint near my house.
Where I live my Catholic church has a small fair each fall. When I was younger I would spend a lot of time here at my grandparents house. My grandfather was one of the men that would roast pigs thru the night to be served at the fair. They NEVER knew what pulled pork was. If they did they never served it like that. It was cut in large pieces and served. Pulled pork just makes the meat go further. IMHO, I think the person/people getting served pulled pork are getting ripped off, in a way.

I don't get it. People here complain about mystery pork meat and then says all sort of good things about sausages (i.e breakfast links, polish, pepperoni pizza, salami, bacon, etc). Or pull pork sandwich

They are still the muscle of a pig, not skin or organs, not tendons, not bones, not soft bones (or whatever they call it).

Again, as I said it is really the American pork having an odor. If you go to Japan and have a pork chop on rice, or anywhere else on earth eating pork import from Brazil, Argentina, Denmark, etc, you will know what I mean. Somehow we either bred or feed our pigs to grow fast instead of flavor. The just don't taste right unless you really char it with lots of smoke or sauces.
C’mon man, left out Spam !

There is a tik-tok video going viral showing the McRib prior to being cooked. It is getting huge attention as the rib looks like a piece of styrofoam. I don't have or understand tik-tok to post a link.

There is nothing wrong with food that looks like styrofoam before cooking. Frozen burger patty looks like styrofoam before cooking.

What matters is what it taste like after it is cooked. I'm not a fan of McRibs myself (but I like the sausage McMuffin for $1-1.5, a bargain), but that doesn't mean they are bad. They are definitely better than fries and soda for sure.

After just having eaten a McRib, just so that I could make an informed post, I have to say it's a ghastly sandwich. The meat product resembles spam in looks and texture, it's spongy with no flavor. The sauce is cloyingly sweet with barely a hint of bbq flavor.

With the top on it doesn't look too bad.

The meat product is mercifully covered up. Raw onion, gah! Pac-Man pickle!

Never again
If I’m going to buzz through McD’s … rather just have the home style burger …

There is nothing wrong with food that looks like styrofoam before cooking. Frozen burger patty looks like styrofoam before cooking.

What matters is what it taste like after it is cooked. I'm not a fan of McRibs myself (but I like the sausage McMuffin for $1-1.5, a bargain), but that doesn't mean they are bad. They are definitely better than fries and soda for sure.
Or egg Mc is not bad either … especially if the line is shorter than the local favorite places

There's no reason to single out pork Pretty much all foods taste different in other countries. That's part of what makes traveling such an interesting experience. I wish I could get English eggs here. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's worse. We are mostly conditioned by what we were exposed to when growing up. I have a friend who was raised eating at Burger King every day. He's in his 40s and still eats Burger King twice a day. I don't know how he does it and he doesn't know how to do it any differently. He's by the way a surf instructor and in great shape. This is not a BK endorsement.

Again, as I said it is really the American pork having an odor. If you go to Japan and have a pork chop on rice, or anywhere else on earth eating pork import from Brazil, Argentina, Denmark, etc, you will know what I mean

I spent a lot of time for work in Korea and Japan - never noticed this. I also had Korean and Japanese co-workers (almost exclusively) here in the US branch, and they never noticed (or at least commented) on it.

I was also married to an English woman and we spent a lot of time for pleasure and work in the UK and the continent. Again, never noticed it (either of us).

Back