MC FL-500s 9,245 Miles [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the 3rd OC from my 2014 Explorer. Despite any issues with Purolator filters, their Ford specified clones have none. The pleats are relatively straight and do not have the wide "V" problem the Purolators do. If there was anything negative to say it would be the sloppy work with the potting material at the ends and on the seam. Some of it was in the dome end, but it was trapped there and could not go anywhere (the seam was solid).

Another FL-500s was installed along with the last of the Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 0W-20; M1 AFE is on deck next for this car and a UOA of the Kendall will follow shortly. For those interested, the iOLM was at 8%. Last but not least, hand tight was not quite tight enough to my liking, so I snugged the new filter with the wrench. I was surprised to find that very minimal effort was needed to remove the old filter.

NMLmhR.jpg

ldOmIR.jpg

Qq54KD.jpg

h5n1Pu.jpg

zHOZLG.jpg

39iUjM.jpg

NAov3D.jpg

mN7Azr.jpg

Vph63v.jpg

ta9ipf.jpg

Thanks for posting!

I've been trying to decide whether to use that filter or stick with the Ultra. The FL500S looks fine anyway.

By the way...are you testing the kendall oil? I have the same 3.5L and wondered how that oil does in that engine.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
By the way...are you testing the kendall oil? I have the same 3.5L and wondered how that oil does in that engine.

It runs great and I cannot wait to see what the UOA shows. However, this current fill is my last run of it--simply due to the fact that it is not available locally. Although PSC has it at a great price, at $21.66 a jug, I could not pass up M1 AFE 0W-20, which is on deck next for my 3.5L.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: dustyroads

It runs great and I cannot wait to see what the UOA shows. However, this current fill is my last run of it--simply due to the fact that it is not available locally. Although PSC has it at a great price, at $21.66 a jug, I could not pass up M1 AFE 0W-20, which is on deck next for my 3.5L.

Completely understood. It wouldn't be hard or expensive for me to get the kendall so it remains an option. Thanks again!

The FoMoCo on the ADBV just further illustrates the point that the Motorcraft filters are not just Purolator filters re-branded. The fact that we aren't seeing the media tears, the difference in the ADBV design....etc. Yes, Purolator assembles them, but I think it is wise to remind ourselves that these are OEM-spec filters built in the manner required by Ford, not just a rebranding like the Bosch/Mann versions.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
these are OEM-spec filters built in the manner required by Ford, not just a rebranding like the Bosch/Mann versions.
While it is of course not possible to know whether Ford is aware of the pleat-tearing issues we've seen, if they are I would like to think they're on top of it with Purolator and demanding "not in OUR filters"...

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
these are OEM-spec filters built in the manner required by Ford, not just a rebranding like the Bosch/Mann versions.
While it is of course not possible to know whether Ford is aware of the pleat-tearing issues we've seen, if they are I would like to think they're on top of it with Purolator and demanding "not in OUR filters"...

AFAIK, Ford spec's their own media, which is likely why the issue hasn't happened with the Motorcraft filters.

Are you guys seeing different pictures than I am? Cause that doesn't look too hot...

Picture #5 - that black area sure looks like a tear or missing media to me.
Picture #7 - that bottom front media piece sure looks like a tear to me.
Last pic - that middle seam sure looks like a tear waiting to happen to me...

The seem looks a bit rough, but doesn't appear to be an issue IMO. Looks great for the mileage. Good bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Are you guys seeing different pictures than I am? Cause that doesn't look too hot...

That is glue/potting, some of it got on the media.

Nope. How bright do you have your monitor set? Nobody else seems to be thinking this so perhaps you aren't looking at it right?

Nope, it is a glued seam, typical of the MC filters, and you'll see from my 10K cut that they hold up just fine. I don't recall ever seeing a glued seam failure on an MC filter. They may not look as pretty as a metal crimp but they work just fine.

Makes sense.

Quote:

Nope. How bright do you have your monitor set? Nobody else seems to be thinking this so perhaps you aren't looking at it right?

Not that bright. Standard iPad Retina set at about 1/3 brightness. It sure looks like a tear to me.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I thought this filter is rated for 7500 miles
If so,then you are running it too long

The filter is rated for whatever the maximum OCI allowed by the OEM is. If that is with an OLM it can certainly be a lot longer than 7,500 miles.

Makes sense.

Quote:

Not that bright. Standard iPad Retina set at about 1/3 brightness. It sure looks like a tear to me.

Might want to look at it on a big screen (I am looking at it on a 27" display). It is another chunk of glue/potting, not a tear
smile.gif

Nope; it is designed to be used as long as the iOLM states there is life in the oil. I still had 8% to go and I have ran a FL-820s for 15K with no issues on my FX4.

There were no tears present and none about to happen either. I moved the pleats around at the area where a typical Purolator would tear and the media was firmly affixed as well as the seam having a solid joint. Like I noted on the OP, they could have been neater with the potting material, otherwise, another good showing for MC.

The filter is rated for whatever the maximum OCI allowed by the OEM is. If that is with an OLM it can certainly be a lot longer than 7,500 miles.

One friend is doing 15K Miles on EP with the MC 400. 185K on the engine when sold. Engine ran great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back