Mazda Miata ridiculous oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: Pablo

No they legally can't. They can only, if the lack of changing every 4 months causes some related damage. I'm not saying they wouldn't put up a stupid non-customer friendly fight, but what you say is just not true and it's repeated here on BITOG.

Say the OP changes every 6 months and his suspension explodes or a camshaft snaps in two because of some exceedingly rare metallurgical flaw, Mazda cannot just "deny warranty coverage".

I believe Pablo is right about this. I've always heard that the dealer/manufacturer has to prove that your lack of oil changes is what actually caused the damage in order to void your warranty.

The law that prevents them from voiding a warranty because of a perceived maintenance lapse is called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975. ThirdeYe and Pablo are correct, the dealer must prove the issue was caused by a lack of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: max88
Originally Posted By: Baveux
My 2012 is still covered by the warranty,and to maintain the warranty Mazda wants me to change the oil every 8000km or EVERY 4 MONTHS !!! 3 times a year use it or not !!!

If Mazda has any cars sitting in its inventory lot for 4 months or more, does it change oil before handing it over to buyers?

Salut Baveux,

LOL, My '14 Mazda 6 was made in February 2013 and I took delivery in late summer with 3 km on the clock...

BTW I purchased my Mazda near you at Planete Mazda Exit 23 of the 15.

Same silly schedule here that I ignore; 4 months/8000 km. OTOH, people in Vermont can "safely" push it to 6 month/12000 km... And dealer mandating synthetic oil for the Skyactiv engines. A waste of perfectly good oil.

Dealer did the first OC (freebee) at 7500 km and I did the second one 11000 km/6 months later (lots of highway). Now 7000 km/5 months into the current OCI and I just topped it off for good measure today with no trace of fuel dilution/gas smell and the oil still looks new. Car now sits for days in the garage, I don't idle except when sitting at lights and do long drives every week and run OEM filters. I don't consider this severe.

Under these conditions, I'm pretty sure an OLM would safely take me to 10-12000+ km but some manufacturers (cough, cough Hyundai) are slow to adapt and dealers want to see us more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back