Mazda 3 Oil Filter

My neighbor bought a 2011 Mazda 3, 32K miles, late Monday evening (10/11/2021). I won't know which engine is in it until tomorrow. Those of you that have Mazda vehicles, is there any particular name brand oil filter that you use?

Since they pretty much use the same Engines that Ford used in the Focus, you can't go wrong with any of the Majors, I've always been partial to Fram, Just use a PH3600 and call it a day.

IME those are the worst buys, but to each their own.
What you mean you overpay becuase it's "low miles," and then you have to do a lot more repairs than buying a higher mileage car of a similar age because the low mileage creampuff is all factory original and several parts\seals are on the verge of failing based on age whereas the more well driven car of the same age has had multiple parts replaced in it's lifetime.

What you mean you overpay becuase it's "low miles," and then you have to do a lot more repairs than buying a higher mileage car of a similar age because the low mileage creampuff is all factory original and several parts\seals are on the verge of failing based on age whereas the more well driven car of the same age has had multiple parts replaced in it's lifetime.
Bingo.

And if you are starting with a 10yr old car, you will drive it for another 10 years (at most). For the average person, that is another 100-150k miles (for a total of 200-250K miles). You can accomplish the same by starting with a 100k example - and save the money.

My sister bought a 2012 Mazda3 which was the first year for the Skyactiv engine. Ergo your neighbor will not have the 1998cc Skyactiv engine.
It'll have the 2.0l or 2.5l. I'm unaware of any other engine for that vehicle but I'm no expert.

Trustable major companies like Wix and Hastings didn't list an oil filter for the 1998 for 6 months. Since the mounting hardware was the same the lesser companies just crossed the existing filters to the Skyactiv. The cheesy brands didn't seem to care that the bypass pressures had been changed for the new engine.

CONCLUSION: The other companies are dirty rats and Wix and Hastings (and unknown others) are good for taking the time to design and build a proper filter.
I feel better patronizing the honest companies. Ergo it's Wix, Hastings and OE for me.

It honestly doesn't matter too much. i use an orange can fram since they filter at 95% at 20 microns and I run them to 10k and I've been using them since the beginning long ago without a single issue.

Also used supertech cans but less than a dollar more for a bit more filtration why not go for the sunkist. i cut one open before i joined and there was no tear or collapse and the subjective material caps were still sealing the media which is what their only job is. The center core is what provides the majority of the rigidity and protection from collapse.

Never had oil pressure issues either.

2011 with 32K miles ... good score.
Yes it was!
Her brother is a priest at a Catholic church in the next town over.
This is the good part. On the windshield it had the price of $9299. Her brother did the deal with the salesman and she got the car for $7900, cash (+TTL)! She used the money she received from her totalled car ($2200) and her brother paid the rest. If anyone deserved that car, it was her!
So, the best filter for that engine is a FRAM, WIX, BOSCH, etc.? I didn't know if owners of these type cars are better off with a factory filter. That's why l asked.
Thanks for all the replies. I want to take pics of the car and post them. It's a beautiful car, black with black interior.
Also, the oil that l scored last month for pennies on the dollar, l am going to donate (3) 5 quart containers of 5W20 Chevron Supreme oil for 3 OCI's.

The Duratec/Mazda-L is known for being super easy on oil, any filter will be fine there's not really anything special that needs to be considered, my dad had an Escape with the 2.5L version and it got 7500mi oil changes with the cheapest bulk jobber filters and conventional from Quick Lube places and with 100k on the clock when he turned it in at the termination of his employment with Kellogg's\Keebler there was nothing wrong with the car, he put 100k on it in 2 years, so any decent oil and decent filter will serve you well, if you're still partial to Motorcraft, I guess go with the FL-400, there may even be enough room to fit an FL1A, essentially Motorcraft can be viewed as an OEM filter since these engines were used in both Mazdas and Fords.

In some cases. Like the lady's 98 Camry. Got it in 2014... All original parts I believe except the timing belt. Car had 66k miles on it when we got it.

Has zero repairs until 2017 with a power steering rack issue. And only other repair was a alternator in 2019. That's only $1300 worth of repairs in 7 years.

That is not bad at all.

Hardly any replaced by parts on a low mileage car. And it was 16 years old when we got it.

The car was given to my lady by her grandmother.

Her car has the 2.0 engine. The oil cap reads 0W20. I have several 5 quart containers of 5W20 oil. I'm going to give her (3) 5 quart containers of Chevron Supreme 5W20. The 2.0 uses anything equivalent to the 3614 or FL-910S. I have a M1-209 oil filter that my sons uncle gave me. I'm going to give that to her. For future use I'm going to suggest the FRAM 3600, or equivalent.
The capacity is 4.5 quarts. With the longer oil filter, will it be okay to use a whole 5 quart container of oil?

Check the clearance to the splash shield.
You know, l was thinking about that too. I watched a few OCI on YT on that car but it didn't show a good shot of the clearance.
But, other than that, do you agree a 3600, or equivalent filter, and the whole 5 quarts would be okay?

Back