Mazda 3 2.3L filter suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L and I am wanting to get the correct/best filter for the car. What are some of you who have the car using and what make or brand should I be looking at?

You can't go wrong with Mazda/Ford OEM filters for this engine.
Napa, Fram, Wix, KN,...... are some to use.
I recently installed a Mann filter, which seems to be a pretty strong cartridge. Will see how it holds up in 6 months.

I'm avoiding Purolator since their cartridges repeatedly get crunched either in the housing, or by the oil flow and PSI.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB6&Number=353472

I'm going to use OEM filters (mazda/Ford) for my 2.3L CX7 engine until we get some better information on the after market issues of length etc.

I've been using the OEM cartridge filter on mine. It was the same price as the only other filter I've looked into: NAPA. The NAPA's quality didn't look as good and it had only 2/3 the pleats of the OEM.

1.5 years until I switch to a spin-on!

if given the option between the ford FL-2017-B and the Mazda L321-14-302-9A, get the Mazda. my dealer does both Ford nad Mazda. being a parts person and a BITOGer, i spend hours comparing filters. the older Mazda version of hte filter was the ford with a mazda box, btu the new one is built a lot better. the technicians say that the mazda fits better in the fords than the motorcraft filters do.

Thanks for the info. I think I will start off with the Mazda OEM filter and see how it works. I should be doing the first oil change in a month or so.

Quote:

We just got a 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L and I am wanting to get the correct/best filter for the car. What are some of you who have the car using and what make or brand should I be looking at?

I ordered a bunch of filters for both my cars (about 15 total) from Filter1.com. They sell Wix filters which have a very good reputation. I got them for about $3.30 each INCLUDING shipping. You might wanna give them a try...

BTW...one of my cars is a 2006 Mazda3 2.3 and they Wix don't crush like the PureOne's...although Purolator states the crushing has no ill effects....
dunno.gif
It's up to you...

I use the Motorcraft on my 2.3L Mazda 3. Never a problem. My last one I removed had the common "crush/twist" that many of them get. It was the first time in 25k miles to happen. I'm not opposed to trying the other brands though. I'd like to try the PureOne, regardless of the twist issue. It really has no effect on filtration. May last twisted filter was a motorcraft and in use for 8000 miles. No oil pressure issues or filtration problems either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back